Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103104>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:42pm
Listened to him on Thursday and didn’t hear anything wrong with what he was saying
Sponsored Links

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

I havent heard the commentary from today’s game, but i haven’t heard anything like that from McCarthy either during the Bulgaria game, in his media work, or when he was manager. In fact, I’ve only ever heard him say good stuff about Kenny.

Bit of wishful thinking sometimes when people imagine McCarthy as some kind of arsehole. Anybody who knows him will tell you he is a very decent and fair-minded man.

I didn't hear him on Thursday but heard him today and dunno what people are getting their knickers in a twist over. He was complimentary about Kenny. Said Ireland needed to get the ball into wide positions and get crosses in a few times. Wow. People are desperate to be offended these days and the social media echo chambers they spend their online time in exaggerate that tenfold. And it's far from unusual to have an ex manager commentating on his former team's game. 

Nobody is getting their knickers in a twist. However, you don't really believe that the commentary today was any way insightful, do you?

Mick is a very decent and fair man. That is why I am surprised he took the gig on sky. For me it wasn't what he was saying (which wasn't terribly interesting) it was the fact that he was there. The decent thing to do would be to take a step back for a period and avoid putting yourself in a position when you are publicly commenting on your successor. Can you imagine having big Jack doing co-commentary with George in 1996. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I havent heard the commentary from today’s game, but i haven’t heard anything like that from McCarthy either during the Bulgaria game, in his media work, or when he was manager. In fact, I’ve only ever heard him say good stuff about Kenny.

Bit of wishful thinking sometimes when people imagine McCarthy as some kind of arsehole. Anybody who knows him will tell you he is a very decent and fair-minded man.

Basically he has got the hump because the commentators keep mentioning moving on the style of play and he is taking offence.

I was very surprised he took up the offer to commentate on our games.  I think he has done all of our games. Its a conflict of interest really.

Yeah far too imbalanced. 

They should get somebody impartial to do the job. Somebody like Martin ONeill would be good. 

Commentator: ''Of course Stephen KEnny is trying to impart a passing game rather than the long hoofball they have employed in years past.''

MON: ''Hold on now.  I have won 2 European Cups.  Not 1 but 2.  I remember Fred Flintstone got criticised for being a caveman. He didn't do too bad. Did he?  Howard Wilkinson got criticsed for playing long ball. He said 'he played winning football.  Is there any other?'  No hold on, let me finish...  You are sat there making remarks about the likes of myself.  Maybe, just maybe, we weren't too bad.  Don't worry, I'm only serious.''
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:55pm

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Basically he has got the hump because the commentators keep mentioning moving on the style of play and he is taking offence.

I was very surprised he took up the offer to commentate on our games.  I think he has done all of our games. Its a conflict of interest really.

Yeah far too imbalanced. 

They should get somebody impartial to do the job. Somebody like Martin ONeill would be good. 

Commentator: ''Of course Stephen KEnny is trying to impart a passing game rather than the long hoofball they have employed in years past.''

MON: ''Hold on now.  I have won 2 European Cups.  Not 1 but 2.  I remember Fred Flintstone got criticised for being a caveman. He didn't do too bad. Did he?  Howard Wilkinson got criticsed for playing long ball. He said 'he played winning football.  Is there any other?'  No hold on, let me finish...  You are sat there making remarks about the likes of myself.  Maybe, just maybe, we weren't too bad.  Don't worry, I'm only serious.''

LOL

Christ im so glad that regime is over 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

I didn't hear him on Thursday but heard him today and dunno what people are getting their knickers in a twist over. He was complimentary about Kenny. Said Ireland needed to get the ball into wide positions and get crosses in a few times. Wow. People are desperate to be offended these days and the social media echo chambers they spend their online time in exaggerate that tenfold. And it's far from unusual to have an ex manager commentating on his former team's game. 

Nobody is getting their knickers in a twist. However, you don't really believe that the commentary today was any way insightful, do you?

Mick is a very decent and fair man. That is why I am surprised he took the gig on sky. For me it wasn't what he was saying (which wasn't terribly interesting) it was the fact that he was there. The decent thing to do would be to take a step back for a period and avoid putting yourself in a position when you are publicly commenting on your successor. Can you imagine having big Jack doing co-commentary with George in 1996. 

Agree just does not seem right. 

grabli View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grabli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:03pm

.    Jack commentated on Belgium play off game in 1997 for chanel 5 in the uk
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:28pm

No, I didn't find it insightful and I wouldn't expect that on Sky anyway, find their analysis bland on anything they cover. Plenty were getting their knickers in a twist on twitter about it though. 

Jack did co-commentary or analysis on our games in the UK after he left. McCarthy isn't doing it on RTE. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 11 Oct 2020 at 10:30pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:30pm
No problem with mick  - he’s a gent- should have had the Irish gig when MON got it 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Rodneytrotter Rodneytrotter wrote:

No problem with mick  - he’s a gent- should have had the Irish gig when MON got it 

We'd have still got the same football as under MON. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:43pm
Mick came across very petty today & by the sounds of his “tactical insights” he might be waiting a while for a new employer. 

“Passing the ball ain’t nothing new” I’d say we’ve completed more passes in 4 games under Kenny than the whole McCarthy era 
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:52pm

No, I didn't find it insightful and I wouldn't expect that on Sky anyway, find their analysis bland on anything they cover. Plenty were getting their knickers in a twist on twitter about it though. 

Jack did co-commentary or analysis on our games in the UK after he left. McCarthy isn't doing it on RTE. 

I didn't know that. However I am assuming it wasn't in 1996 or very early in Mick's rein? The other benefit back then was we never had to go near sky to watch an Ireland game! 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 11:09pm

I didn't know that. However I am assuming it wasn't in 1996 or very early in Mick's rein? The other benefit back then was we never had to go near sky to watch an Ireland game! 

Think he did some the next campaign. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Mick came across very petty today & by the sounds of his “tactical insights” he might be waiting a while for a new employer. 

“Passing the ball ain’t nothing new” I’d say we’ve completed more passes in 4 games under Kenny than the whole McCarthy era 

I think you could be right there. Certainly feels like we are making twice as many passes per game. I'm sure someone on here could look this up and verify!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 8:23am
Found his commentary very ironic. 

Professing his admiration for Shane Long, yet didn't pick him in his squads.

Saying Shane Duffy was excellent at hitting the cross-field diagonal pass from right to left. It's possibly the worst attribute of his game. During Mick's reign, he tried it countless times, and hit the majority out of play.

We all know his views on crosses at this stage. Only for him to be corrected by Danny Gabbidon who informed him we tried 22 crosses against Slovakia.

Spoke about using the long-ball approach, and the importance of getting players up around the second balls, which his team did very little of during the last campaign.

Edited by The Huntacha - 12 Oct 2020 at 8:23am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 8:54am

He heaped a lot of praise on a lot of the Irish players too. Kevin Long, Matt Doherty, Enda Stevens and Long to name a few.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 9:21am
A lot of Irish fans seem to have some sort of neurosis about Mick.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 10:05am
I noticed Mick repeatedly praised the players who always turned up for him and contributed positively to the squad and to training even when they weren't being selected ( Sean Maguire was another such as well as those mentioned already). Implicit criticism therefore, not overtly stated, of those who habitually didn't turn up ( e.g. James McCarthy, Harry Arter, Kieren Westwood, etc ).

Edited by Green Cockade - 12 Oct 2020 at 10:06am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

I noticed Mick repeatedly praised the players who always turned up for him and contributed positively to the squad and to training even when they weren't being selected ( Sean Maguire was another such as well as those mentioned already). Implicit criticism therefore, not overtly stated, of those who habitually didn't turn up ( e.g. James McCarthy, Harry Arter, Kieren Westwood, etc ).
What he didn't say was an absolute disgrace alright.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103104>
  Share Topic