You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101102 104>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

What to say about our Mick really? I suppose we should start with the positive part - thank absolute f*ck we are done with him. Finally. Gone. An abomination of a manager overseeing one of the most appalling campaigns any Irish fan could ever have witnessed. Dross is an understatement. Remember 18 months ago when numerous posters on this forum were arguing that this spoofer was going to have Ireland playing attractive football? Remember that - those were glory days alright. Heady heady times.

His backside in the bacon slicer schtick wore thin over a decade ago for anyone with an ounce of sense, and all you were left with was a bog standard over the hill manager, who was way out of his depth unless operating in the lower realms of any competitive league. League 1 is about his lot at best these days, but I don't expect to see him toiling there anytime soon with the pension pot he picked up from the FAI.

So that's 5 campaigns McCarthy has been part of. 1 qualification. The campaign gone will hopefully be remembered as his signature campaign though. Forgetting Gibraltar, we won 1 game out of 6 qualifiers. The plan to draw ourselves to qualification by praying a concoction of crazy results elsewhere would see us over the line, well that amazingly backfired. A campaign of total non football, completely outdoing any campaign before in that regard. 

Pound for pound, McCarthy TC and RK will go down as one of the most expensive mistakes in Irish football history. Does anyone have the breakdown of the pension pot received, will it total 3 million for McCarthy alone? Excluding possible add-ons if we qualify, you couldn't make it up. Add TC and RK in and are you looking at 4 million for the management team in this campaign LOL My f*cking God, you couldn't make it up. Works out at about 500k per match LOL

I suppose the main thing though is our Mick got his shot at it. A big chunk of the Irish football faithful were delighted to see him back, who would have possibly thought it could play out like this. As for the succession planning, tbf that has worked a treat. Even the Robbie Keane situation looks like it was brilliantly thought through LOL

Bye Mick (our Mick for your official title). Enjoy the millions added to the pension pot that the FAI will be paying off for years in future. You will not be missed one bit, and please don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out. 

Good f*cking riddance.

How would you evaluate their input in the last 18 months
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
Sponsored Links

Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 10:14pm
In the last days of the O'Neill era the wheels were really coming off, and Mick came in and restored order.

A typical game was - 

play an ineffective long-ball game to a lone striker,

concede from a corner,

have one shot on goal a game,

have Duffy kick the ball into the stand.

O'Neill's last 10 games

.........P....W....D....L....F....A

McCarthy's Record

..........P....W....D....L....F....A

The stats demonstrate the change.

Did any one expect Tiki Taka? - No. 

What we did expect was a more mixed game, which we did get. And we hoped for a big result at home, against either Denmark or Switzerland, which we didn't get.

He brought McGoldrick in from the cold, but overall Mick's biggest failing was player selection. James Collins was the wrong choice, for instance.

The money situation is ridiculous, but that is principally down to the worst thing to ever happen to football in this country - John Delaney.

Edited by Terzino - 20 May 2020 at 10:17pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 12:07am
Good analysis Terzino but you need more of a multifaceted approach otherwise it's not apples for apples, 

were all these competitive games, all home/away games and you need to include the opposition level comparison.

I believe two of McCarthys wins were vs Gibraltar.

I think both McCarthy and o'Neil were disappointing appointments but I would agree mccarthy slightly less so,

Edited by Left foot - 21 May 2020 at 12:08am
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Good analysis Terzino but you need more of a multifaceted approach otherwise it's not apples for apples, 

were all these competitive games, all home/away games and you need to include the opposition level comparison.

I think both McCarthy and o'Neil were disappointing appointments but I would agree mccarthy slightly less so,
Another 2 of those wins were against piss-poor opposition in Bulgaria and New Zealand in friendlies. The remaining one was v Georgia (a team we couldn't even beat at their ground). But when it came to the crunch against our qualifying rivals, we couldn't do it. Not exactly the sort of reign we were hoping for on his return. Stern Smile
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 8:59am
Two training wins and two against Gibraltar, neither of them convincing. The other against Georgia at home where, despite playing well, we couldn't finish them off.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 9:08am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Another 2 of those wins were against piss-poor opposition in Bulgaria and New Zealand in friendlies. The remaining one was v Georgia (a team we couldn't even beat at their ground). But when it came to the crunch against our qualifying rivals, we couldn't do it. Not exactly the sort of reign we were hoping for on his return. Stern Smile

Neither could Denmark.

I agree with Terzinos post alright.

Albeit as people point out those wins were against lower opposition I still thing that boils down to results under O'Neill, teams wouldn't see playing Ireland as a challenge anymore or perhaps we jsut couldn't afford the fees to bring the bigger teams in for friendlies anymore.

I get we didn't qualify but we were damn close, and I'd say closer then we would have been under MON. 

I think we would have lost both home and away to Swiss under MON and possibly Denmark too, Georgia probably would have beaten us too.

I agree we aren't comparing apples with apples  but I think for what he done for the morale of the team and bringing in new players and some back McCarthy done a good job.

I still don't get the fascination people have that Kenny is going to come and turn us into Barcelona 2.0 though. I of course hope he does but I'd be happy if we qualified for the Euros with 2 boring 0-0 draws and penalty wins tbh.
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 9:47am

What to say about our Mick really? I suppose we should start with the positive part - thank absolute f*ck we are done with him. Finally. Gone. An abomination of a manager overseeing one of the most appalling campaigns any Irish fan could ever have witnessed. Dross is an understatement. Remember 18 months ago when numerous posters on this forum were arguing that this spoofer was going to have Ireland playing attractive football? Remember that - those were glory days alright. Heady heady times.

His backside in the bacon slicer schtick wore thin over a decade ago for anyone with an ounce of sense, and all you were left with was a bog standard over the hill manager, who was way out of his depth unless operating in the lower realms of any competitive league. League 1 is about his lot at best these days, but I don't expect to see him toiling there anytime soon with the pension pot he picked up from the FAI.

So that's 5 campaigns McCarthy has been part of. 1 qualification. The campaign gone will hopefully be remembered as his signature campaign though. Forgetting Gibraltar, we won 1 game out of 6 qualifiers. The plan to draw ourselves to qualification by praying a concoction of crazy results elsewhere would see us over the line, well that amazingly backfired. A campaign of total non football, completely outdoing any campaign before in that regard. 

Pound for pound, McCarthy TC and RK will go down as one of the most expensive mistakes in Irish football history. Does anyone have the breakdown of the pension pot received, will it total 3 million for McCarthy alone? Excluding possible add-ons if we qualify, you couldn't make it up. Add TC and RK in and are you looking at 4 million for the management team in this campaign LOL My f*cking God, you couldn't make it up. Works out at about 500k per match LOL

I suppose the main thing though is our Mick got his shot at it. A big chunk of the Irish football faithful were delighted to see him back, who would have possibly thought it could play out like this. As for the succession planning, tbf that has worked a treat. Even the Robbie Keane situation looks like it was brilliantly thought through LOL

Bye Mick (our Mick for your official title). Enjoy the millions added to the pension pot that the FAI will be paying off for years in future. You will not be missed one bit, and please don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out. 

Good f*cking riddance.

great post ClapClap 110% spot on
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 9:49am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Neither could Denmark.

Albeit as people point out those wins were against lower opposition I still thing that boils down to results under O'Neill, teams wouldn't see playing Ireland as a challenge anymore or perhaps we jsut couldn't afford the fees to bring the bigger teams in for friendlies anymore.

I get we didn't qualify but we were damn close, and I'd say closer then we would have been under MON. 

I think we would have lost both home and away to Swiss under MON and possibly Denmark too, Georgia probably would have beaten us too.

I agree we aren't comparing apples with apples  but I think for what he done for the morale of the team and bringing in new players and some back McCarthy done a good job.

I still don't get the fascination people have that Kenny is going to come and turn us into Barcelona 2.0 though. I of course hope he does but I'd be happy if we qualified for the Euros with 2 boring 0-0 draws and penalty wins tbh.

Who are these people? The only fascination I see is people posting about this supposed fascination.

Believe it or not, there are more than 2 football styles/approaches. If you choose to play like O'Neill/McCarthy/Trap, the only other alternative doesn't have to be a version of Barcelona. There are many ways to skin a cat and Barcelona didn't invent the offensive side of football. 
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 9:56am

Neither could Denmark.

Is anyone saying this though. Most people think he will play exactly like he did with the u21s, a more go for it attitude but still pragmatic. If the team plays and gets similar results to the u21's Ill be extremely happy. I hope Kenny gets enough time to implement it. It might be a case of writing off the first campaign and nations league and waiting until euro 2024 to judge Kenny. With the top two automatically qualifying to the European championships. Automatic qualification should our aim, not just a play off  position

Edited by foggy.nelson - 21 May 2020 at 9:57am
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Good f*cking riddance.

great post ClapClap 110% spot on

McCarthy could have led Ireland to a World Cup semi-final if Keane had put Ireland before training facilities and Alex Ferguson. Considering what he had to endure, McCarthy delivered probably the greatest managerial performance in Irish football history. 

LOLLOLLOL

Kids who get the licky window bus to school in the morning wouldn't write that sh*te.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 11:28am
It's a stretch say Mick did a good job second time round. The morale was always going to improve when a new manager came in. Settling for a draw in Georgia was inexcusable (not to mention instructing Randolph to take his time kicking it up the field in the dying minutes) and I've a feeling the fact Denmark drew there altered his expectations. 

We finished in the expected third place behind two regular qualifiers and we managed to push Denmark in the last game despite our limited squad. Once Denmark scored they knew we were never going to score two tbh. Mick did okay overall and was at a disadvantage being thrown straight into qualifiers. I don't think we'd have qualified anyway tbh. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 11:42am
The biggest problem isn't really his, but it is  the fact that we could have had no manager at all and still finished third and anybody could see we were going to finish third, so the fact there was absolutely no preparation for the play-offs, that we all knew we were going to get, meant a waste of two years.

It was also predictable that there would be 'what ifs' and we would talk about a missed chance here and there, but we were never in a million years going to beat Denmark at home and the fact we got a point over there is a massive stain on the Danes themselves. They should have thumped us.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The biggest problem isn't really his, but it is  the fact that we could have had no manager at all and still finished third and anybody could see we were going to finish third, so the fact there was absolutely no preparation for the play-offs, that we all knew we were going to get, meant a waste of two years.

It was also predictable that there would be 'what ifs' and we would talk about a missed chance here and there, but we were never in a million years going to beat Denmark at home and the fact we got a point over there is a massive stain on the Danes themselves. They should have thumped us.

Not sure if I'd entirely agree with this. They should've won alright but we were far more fortuitous to get a draw in the playoff game as opposed to this one. We were more deserving of the draw last year imo.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Neither could Denmark.

Who are these people? The only fascination I see is people posting about this supposed fascination.

Believe it or not, there are more than 2 football styles/approaches. If you choose to play like O'Neill/McCarthy/Trap, the only other alternative doesn't have to be a version of Barcelona. There are many ways to skin a cat and Barcelona didn't invent the offensive side of football. 

If Kenny turns us into Dundalk 2.0, it will be an improvement!
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 12:25pm

Have you been watching a different Denmark to the rest of us? Perhaps with so much old football on the box over the past while you've confused the current crop with the '86 or '92 vintage?

I'd agree it was always unlikely but the bit in bold is Moleman-esque hyperbole.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

What do you mean by no preparation for the play-offs? As predictable as finishing third was, we could hardly prepare for a play-off against unknown opposition in an undetermined location while still involved in qualifiers that could have - against all odds - put us through automatically. Did I read you right?
By building a team capable of playing football against sides around us. Introducing some of the 21s and trying to get a style might have given us some hope. We had a fair idea that the standard of the opposition was going to be weaker than Switzerland or Denmark, but we have spent two years ploughing on with the same tactics and players. The qualifiers were a free shot to try some things out, but by appointing a safe pair of hands like Mick, and giving him the impression that we must try and qualify at all costs, he was always going to try and get us as close as possible. He was given little alternative. 
The blame, as ever, lies with those that appointed him.

Muff: I felt we should have been beaten out the gate. The Danes assumed we wouldn't score and started strolling about after they scored. We deserved credit for keeping ourselves in it and getting a decent result, but it was absolutely dreadful from Denmark. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 2:52pm
Micks 2nd time with us was a bit like my first year in college with the exception I didn’t get paid a load of money to feic off.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 3:09pm
The O'Neill era should have ended with the 5-1 defeat to Denmark. That was the time to bring in Kenny and allow him to rebuild the team during the Nations League games.

But O'Neill carried on and the team began to zombify. It was emergency time and Mick was brought in to stop the rot. And that's what he did. In international football it's easy to get into a rut and not get out of it for a generation.

You can say that Ireland were guaranteed third place anyway, but there is a massive difference between being only a win away from automatic qualification and being out of it half-way through the campaign with nothing to play for.

Could Kenny have turned things around like that? We'll never know, but a League of Ireland manager is going to be under greater pressure from the fans and media, and the dressing room, than a manager who has worked elsewhere. Mick could be dropped into the deep end, brush off all of the criticism, and get on with it.

Now Kenny inherits a stable team and he also has the experience of working with the younger players. In a round about way, things may have worked out for the best.

Edited by Terzino - 21 May 2020 at 3:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101102 104>
  Share Topic