Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 104>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:25am
The 98-2000 campaign was almost as good bar the complete cock up against Macedonia. Beat Yugoslavia and Croatia.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:58am
We are a different side away from home under mick than at home. He makes a big deal about being at home or away generally a draw is a good result away for mick.

It's no wonder our form away is shocking under mick and always has been and why I am resigned to us missing out on the euros

Edited by t_rAndy - 13 Feb 2020 at 8:59am
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 9:49am
Lads it’s just going around circles agree to disagree at least until the squad is named.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Trap Junior:

You want Slovakia to win, that's obvious. It ticks all your boxes. Is there any Irish manager within your lifespan you've actually supported?

I suspect your Alan Hunter reference is mischievous but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I've read two of his novels (he's written a mountain) both of which I enjoyed - I also liked the television series. 

I think TJ is referring to the infamous Alan Hunter who appeared on Prime Time alongside Eamonn Dunphy calling for a referendum to decide the on the international inclusion of Roy Keane. Possibly the most cringe worthy few minutes in Irish television history
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

The icing on the cake was the Danish home game though. Amazingly, even at that point and with so much evidence to the contrary, many Irish fans expected us to have an actual go that night. We see the same thing from  fans again going into the Slovakia game. Against a Danish team not in great form and we proceed to turn it into another game of non football for as long as possible. McCarthy should have been ran out the door 5 minutes after the final whistle that night.

A truly toxic campaign that will thankfully be over soon. The fact we won't have to look at McCarthy again is the brightest note in the past 2 years of Irish football.

According to most fans, we did have a go. What was it, 2 shots on target, 3? 
According to himself, it was a great performance, our best in the campaign.
And our best performance wasn't good enough to win a game against poor opposition, weakened by 2 early injuries. All they needed was one shot; ball in net, and us in playoff. 

I flicked over to SSN just before 9pm on the night, and in characteristic fashion, they ended their previous bulletin reminding their audience that it was still 0-0 and we needed a goal in the next half an hour to qualify. I asked myself, why does it always have to go down to the wire, do or die, joy or as is often the case, failure? The campaign started in March and is over 8 games, yet here we were, scrambling around looking for a goal off a set piece at home, to scrape into the finals, when the likes of Finland are getting there comfortably with a game to spare, in a group with Italy in it. We did get the goal, unfortunately by then the task had doubled and after all the talk of just needing one goal (invariably by a defender instead of a forward) one was not enough. 

He was always a manager who favoured familiarity over form, so his press conference going into the playoffs was depressing for everyone from the Dohertys to those on the fringes, to those who are considering their options about Ireland or someone else. This coach has made it perfectly clear that the upcoming game(s) are for experienced heads only, and when that doesn't work, he will blame it on "a lack of players" as every other Irish coach does, rather than their ineptitude. Of course we have the players, but they have to actually play. They can't do that if they're sitting at home counting sheep. For those who do make it, the gameplan will be straight forward. It's still going to be smash it up there and see if Duffy can nick something of a set piece. As primitive as it gets. And if he can't well.. 

We can talk about that for the next 6 months, but when he fails at the one job he was put in charge to do, it will be sad. And when the dust has long settled on the tournament, the fact we didn't make it on home soil, will take a long time to accept. Such tournaments don't come around this neck of the woods on a regular basis. The next one is so far away from here, they have to play it in the autumn.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:22pm
With McClean possibly out (though ya couldn't rule that fella out yet, he'll do whatever it takes, and a bit beyond that if he can, to be fit) it might have been a good opportunity for the 3 at the back with Stevens/Doherty on the wings. That would involve dropping Coleman though, so it won't be happening either. 

Could nearly see all of McCarthy, Whelan and Hendrick playing, with Long on the right and someone totally unsuited to the role like Hourihane or Browne on the left. Basically, instead of tweaking the team to make it more attacking, he'll do the exact opposite and replace McClean with someone who adds even less to the attack. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:26am
Even jermain JENAS is saying it. 3-5-2.

We went on about having no PL players, now we have two of the best performing ones in their positions and we cant find a way to make it work 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 9:38am
In relation to Kenny I believe at worst he would have done as good as McCarthy.

I had reservations before McCarthy came in and they bore through.
I feel where McCarthy fell down Kenny wouldn’t have in the same situation.
Namely he would have gone for it more away to Georgia and at home to Denmark.
And more importantly I think he would have been less stubborn with player selection Mick brought in the younger lads but it was like pulling teeth.
I think the omission of Shane Long was very silly we all know what he can and can’t do but surely he was worth his place in the squad.

And to finish Kenny might not be the great white hope either he has had a decent qualifying campaign but this is with probably one of the best u 21 teams we have ever had who have played good football and performed very well under other coaches all the way up so there results are to certain degree to be expected.

For all McCartyhys failings his experience and the way he has changed the atmosphere in the dressing to a positive one must have counted for something.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 9:57am

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The 98-2000 campaign was almost as good bar the complete cock up against Macedonia. Beat Yugoslavia and Croatia.

Do you believe Stephen Kenny would have us qualified by now? The context is you wanting him appointed solely on the basis of a good campaign at underage level. Appreciate you avoiding the "couldn't do any worse" line.

he      is like a      YOUNG      CARLOS                          BILLARDO

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 10:42am
I think Kenny will care more and put more effort in and try and make us play a better brand of football.

My reservations are the players dont buy into it.

Mick's second reign will be looked back on as a disaster after our campaign ends with a whimper in Slovakia.
The Sidam touch of our former dear leader will strike again. 

Hopefully Kenny breaks the curse!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

In relation to Kenny I believe at worst he would have done as good as McCarthy.

I had reservations before McCarthy came in and they bore through.
I feel where McCarthy fell down Kenny wouldn’t have in the same situation.
Namely he would have gone for it more away to Georgia and at home to Denmark.
And more importantly I think he would have been less stubborn with player selection Mick brought in the younger lads but it was like pulling teeth.
I think the omission of Shane Long was very silly we all know what he can and can’t do but surely he was worth his place in the squad.

And to finish Kenny might not be the great white hope either he has had a decent qualifying campaign but this is with probably one of the best u 21 teams we have ever had who have played good football and performed very well under other coaches all the way up so there results are to certain degree to be expected.

For all McCartyhys failings his experience and the way he has changed the atmosphere in the dressing to a positive one must have counted for something.

The draw and Randolph time wasting in Georgia was unacceptable but you really couldn't fault our approach in the Denmark home game. We played well and were unlucky. McGoldrick's miss and Doherty switching off for their goal can hardly be leveled at the manager's door tbh. Our performances in Gibraltar and Switzerland were a lot more damning of McCarthy. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:35pm
we knew we had to win both games and never looked like doing either.
Our approach against Denmark was too conservative we had a few half chances We played on up top.
Not for a minute we’re the Danes in Danger if not qualify they were there for the taking and we didn’t do enough.
In the Denmark game McCarthy took off Hourihane our set piece taker where we get a lot of joy from and let in our defensive midfielder in a game we had to win.

Come off it you can lay loads of Blame at McCarthy in the Denmark game also
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 1:07pm

Do you believe Stephen Kenny would have us qualified by now? The context is you wanting him appointed solely on the basis of a good campaign at underage level. Appreciate you avoiding the "couldn't do any worse" line.

he      is like a      YOUNG      CARLOS                          BILLARDO
Has Kenny got a big honker? Otherwise  nothing in common. You champion Kenny on the basis of a campaign with an underage squad hailed as a vintage crop. It's hard to believe a tough taskmaster such as yourself deems that enough for the senior role. Why?

No.  I have faith in him for the football he played with Dundalk in Europe with very ordinary players that he was able to recreate with The EIRE. 

When the wallflower loses its colour it is because it has given away its last Rolo.

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 8:12am

Stephen Kenny's CV is light-on. You're investing the future of Irish Football on the basis of about ten underage games. We should have tested the market and seen who's available. Your support for Irish managers over the past 25 years has been derisory - Kenny will be no different. 
Yes, test the market. Ray houghton football recruitment consultant. Sounds familiar mr **ick.

Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 4:25pm
Mick is in the tolka house in Glasnevin tonight for a q&a. Fundraiser for local soccer club. Details on tolka house Facebook page
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 2:05pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 2:50pm
This was discussed in the disgraced John Delaney thread.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:00am
Such a fooking baby with his comments after the nations league draw. Been piling the pressure on kenny as much as possible - classless enough by him
Here we go again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 104>
  Share Topic