Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 104>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Left Foot identity has been disclosed to me by a mod. Shocked

I don't want to tell who it is but he likes playing guitars and once played for Forest.

LOL
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Ah right

Anyway, Micks done a good job so far. Four wins and two draws and in a good position in the group. You can’t really complain with that.

Gib
Gib 
Georgia***
Bulgaria 

All absolute cat

***Georgia at home - decent 

Good point in Copenhagen TBF

Look we all know the deal, let's judge him after the next 3 games.  

It is true the opposition has been poor enough and even MON managed to draw in Denmark- however the performances have been better and we actually seem to have a bit of shape rather than just 11 men behind the 18yard line. Mick was what we needed. Someone to steady the ship- get us organised and hopefully with some luck get us to the Euros. That is in our hands now. I look forward to Kenny taking over and I think he will do s fine job. But from the position we were in it was imperative we got ourselves back to a base level where Kenny could come in and hopefully take us forward. Mick has done well so far and the real challenges now lie ahead. But we are in a good position and our destiny is in our own hands. That is all you can ask.

Exactly.

The amount of self-important rubbish being posted on this thread is absolutely comical. 12 months ago we were in the thick of Ward's WhatsApp message and had just been eviscerated by Wales. Guarantee Ryan Giggs would snap your hand off a year on to be in our position right now.

There's been steady progress from a manager who had his first friendly only two days ago, I really don't know what sort of clouds some people have their heads in.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:22am
The thing is, we currently have major limitations. In terms of ready made players, who play consistently at a high level, we simply don’t have enough. Others are not hugely experienced. And then we have a lot of good potential bubbling under the surface, but with little or no first team experience. That also ignores the fact that retirements like Wes, Murphy, Walters, Ward and Meyler since 2017 have reduced our playing panel. We also have players like Shane Long, Robbie Brady , and James McCarthy who have been playing sporadically since 2017, and two of our strongest players happen to play in the same position (Doherty and Coleman).

Some sort of strategy had to be employed to bridge the gaps, and an experienced international manager made sense. We could have gone for one of the “Merry-go-rounders” from the PL, but sensibly went for MM who undoubtedly maintained a keen interest in Irish football. He also had a good track record of rejuvenating teams, rebuilding teams and maximising limited resources. That is precisely what we need now, particularly with only 9 months to qualify us. For context in 1996 MM has 10 friendly matches before we played Lichtenstein in September, including three semi competitive games at the US Cup. In combination, he has 10
games this year.

After this season, we will have a clearer viewpoint of our resources, and I to the Bargain we may well be at Euro 2020. After that, there is a natural jumping off point, which didn’t exist in 2018, especially after MON was retained.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 12:10pm
Good post Het.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Trappatoni was absolutely hopeless 

He steadied the ship but then just like Martin O'Neill completely overstayed his welcome.
If there was ever a nail on the head statement that was it . Thumbs Up

Steadied the ship? A statement that actually means nothing, football teams cant sink, I can add throwaway soundbites too as below.

Ireland fans don't have issue with trap steadying the ship, it's when he hoisted the main sail that caused concern, he then continues to weigh anchor on the port side and by the time we ran aground it was time to abandon ship.

LOLLOL

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

The thing is, we currently have major limitations. In terms of ready made players, who play consistently at a high level, we simply don’t have enough. Others are not hugely experienced. And then we have a lot of good potential bubbling under the surface, but with little or no first team experience. That also ignores the fact that retirements like Wes, Murphy, Walters, Ward and Meyler since 2017 have reduced our playing panel. We also have players like Shane Long, Robbie Brady , and James McCarthy who have been playing sporadically since 2017, and two of our strongest players happen to play in the same position (Doherty and Coleman).

Some sort of strategy had to be employed to bridge the gaps, and an experienced international manager made sense. We could have gone for one of the “Merry-go-rounders” from the PL, but sensibly went for MM who undoubtedly maintained a keen interest in Irish football. He also had a good track record of rejuvenating teams, rebuilding teams and maximising limited resources. That is precisely what we need now, particularly with only 9 months to qualify us. For context in 1996 MM has 10 friendly matches before we played Lichtenstein in September, including three semi competitive games at the US Cup. In combination, he has 10
games this year.

After this season, we will have a clearer viewpoint of our resources, and I to the Bargain we may well be at Euro 2020. After that, there is a natural jumping off point, which didn’t exist in 2018, especially after MON was retained.

Couldn't agree more
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 1:12pm
MM hasn’t any interest in Irish football beyond the senior international side and the ridiculously bloated payslip that comes with it. The health of the game here wouldn’t cross his mind.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 1:23pm
I’d hate to see the reaction on here if and when Mick loses a game
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 1:25pm
Mick has done a very solid job so far. Lads who don't think he has probably have their own agenda.

How much would Ireland qualifying change the next job he gets? Mid to bottom championship club if we don't qualify, higher championship club if we do? Could he do anything to put himself back in contention for lower PL clubs, qualify and play very well making the QF or better?

Mick is a bit of a dinosaur in his own way,but no way to MON levels. He was an ideal appointment to steady the ship. I like the way his Ireland teams play with just about enough skill and possession to keep us from being horrendous to watch, while keeping the essential elements of fighting spirit and more agricultural up and under stuff that's effective at times. It will be interesting to see us attempt to play more expansive football under Stephen Kenny,and hopefully we won't lose some of that spirit then either.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

MM hasn’t any interest in Irish football beyond the senior international side and the ridiculously bloated payslip that comes with it. The health of the game here wouldn’t cross his mind.

Interesting opinion here oldBilly can I ask why you think this? 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 1:45pm

I look forward to the reaction on here when we win a game of real note. Something we haven't looked any way capable of, or interested in attempting to do since McCarthy took over.

Just on the steadying of the ship. The ship was steadied the moment MON was sacked. That was it. Ship steadied. Did people think if Stephen Kenny or anyone else came in instead of McCarthy there would still be lads leaking WhatsApp messages and having wat with the Irish assistant manager?

It's just another nod from lads who love McCarthy when really nothing of note has been done by McCarthy on that front.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 1:46pm

Really good post.

Couldn't agree more.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Exactly.

The amount of self-important rubbish being posted on this thread is absolutely comical. 12 months ago we were in the thick of Ward's WhatsApp message and had just been eviscerated by Wales. Guarantee Ryan Giggs would snap your hand off a year on to be in our position right now.

There's been steady progress from a manager who had his first friendly only two days ago, I really don't know what sort of clouds some people have their heads in.
[/QUOTE]

Mick has exceeded my expectations - we have no one that can score goals, our best mid fielders has been Whelan, we have a superb chance of finishing 2nd. The football is still fairly crap, but Mick is getting the team to play a bit more. 

It's clouds of delusion alright 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

I look forward to the reaction on here when we win a game of real note. Something we haven't looked any way capable of, or interested in attempting to do since McCarthy took over.

Just on the steadying of the ship. The ship was steadied the moment MON was sacked. That was it. Ship steadied. Did people think if Stephen Kenny or anyone else came in instead of McCarthy there would still be lads leaking WhatsApp messages and having wat with the Irish assistant manager?

It's just another nod from lads who love McCarthy when really nothing of note has been done by McCarthy on that front.

Many on here were saying Georgia at home was a tough game and that they were a dangerous side. So surely that is a game of note

3 games of note played, won 1, drawn 2.
Of the two drawn both were against teams ranked higher than us, a home draw against the top seeds in the group and an away draw against the second seeds.
Hardly time for panic or mass criticism.

Jack Charlton got the freedom of Ireland for drawing against higher ranked teams!

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 12 Sep 2019 at 2:01pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:02pm
What does Mick have to do to get some credit? It wasn’t his fault he was appointed and given a remit of qualification! People on about beating teams of note! We have possibly the worst squad in our history! It’s atrocious! And yet he has kept us in with a shout with three games to go.
I said before the campaign that if we qualify they should build a statue of him, that hasn’t changed.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:04pm
Also, I’d like to hear a satisfactory alternative? As has been said above, think about the entire apparatus of Irish football in 2018. I appreciate the second half of 1995 and 2012 were bad, but in over a quarter of a centenary following the Irish team, I have never been as despondent about the whole thing, nor have I ever held close to the level of dislike for the people at the top. Between player defections, games without attacking, embarrassments at organisational level, and four goals all year, there was nothing in The way of redemption . A lot has changed in the past 12 months, and for the better.

Edited by Het-field - 12 Sep 2019 at 2:05pm
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:08pm
The next three games will tell a lot , if mick is on the sideline in the aviva in June 2020 then as PM says he deserves huge praise 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:12pm

1) that’s not his job
2) he just capped the best player in the league and he frequently attend LOI games
3) I’m pretty sure he cares about football in Ireland when he is one of two managers to bring us to a World Cup and he has 57 caps 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 104>
  Share Topic