Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 104>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:37pm
Just to add we knew all of this around the time the Danes hammered us and the FAI were pondering whether to give MON a contract. We knew all of this in January 2018. That in March 2020, we were almost guaranteed to be just 2 playoff games away from qualifying.

I'll say it again, we will never ever have a chance to rebuild like that with so little to lose. About 20 games, about 15 competitive fixtures, and at the end of it a guaranteed play off. Absolutely blown by the FAI.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 11 Sep 2019 at 10:37pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:39pm
Ah right

Anyway, Micks done a good job so far. Four wins and two draws and in a good position in the group. You can’t really complain with that.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Ah right

Anyway, Micks done a good job so far. Four wins and two draws and in a good position in the group. You can’t really complain with that.

I can and I will LOL

I see absolutely nothing that makes me think we will actually beat a side like Denmark or Switzerland. Maybe Mick's plan will work and we'll flukily draw out way to the Euros, but I doubt it. I think we'll need to win a high level game and we've shown nothing to do that under McCarthy.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:46pm

Ah right

Gib
Gib 
Georgia***
Bulgaria 

All absolute cat

***Georgia at home - decent 

Good point in Copenhagen TBF

Look we all know the deal, let's judge him after the next 3 games.  

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:46pm
We are rebuilding, from the 21's up. Mick is picking the strongest team available to him, and he will cap young lads if he feels they are good enough. In the background, we have 20 lads being coached by future manager in the ways he wants to see our senior team play, and those good enough, will make the step up with Kenny.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:46pm
Beat Georgia away and draw with Denmark at home and that could be us qualified 
Everyone will be happy, job done

Georgia away is the biggest game remaining now IMO. A must win
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:50am
You can have Pep as your manager. If you have no goalscorers and no goal creators it’s always going to be difficult to play in a progressive way. Pragmatism is ok for now.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 7:12am
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Trappatoni was absolutely hopeless 

He steadied the ship but then just like Martin O'Neill completely overstayed his welcome.
If there was ever a nail on the head statement that was it . Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:20am
Whatever about the when, how or who when it comes to rebuilds. The way the chips are starting to fall regarding Kenny, talented youth coming to the fore and mick  steadying the ship... something about how this has all panned out feels very right and meant to be. 
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:27am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Ah right

Gib
Gib 
Georgia***
Bulgaria 

All absolute cat

***Georgia at home - decent 

Good point in Copenhagen TBF

Look we all know the deal, let's judge him after the next 3 games.  

It is true the opposition has been poor enough and even MON managed to draw in Denmark- however the performances have been better and we actually seem to have a bit of shape rather than just 11 men behind the 18yard line. Mick was what we needed. Someone to steady the ship- get us organised and hopefully with some luck get us to the Euros. That is in our hands now. I look forward to Kenny taking over and I think he will do s fine job. But from the position we were in it was imperative we got ourselves back to a base level where Kenny could come in and hopefully take us forward. Mick has done well so far and the real challenges now lie ahead. But we are in a good position and our destiny is in our own hands. That is all you can ask.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:35am
The fact that we even press teams high up the pitch is massive change enough. You can play crap football, but if you're aggressive and pressing the opposition, it at least gives the fans something to cheer about and get behind. 

MON offered nothing in his final year just pure negativity. 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

All I want is for EIRE to play the way TE did against the Germans.  They played very well I thought and were attacking and entertaining like us back in the old Lansdowne circa 1998. They lost but they lost fighting and another day with a bit of luck would have won that game.  They are doing things right. Our game plan seems to be to pox draws every time we play anyone half decent and then wait for someone else to slip up allowing us to stumble blindly over the finish line. It's just not cricket.

Agree with all of this.
The North were very good against the Germans in the first half.
Their results over the last 4/5 years have been excellent. They are beating the teams around their level more often than not.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Trappatoni was absolutely hopeless 

He steadied the ship but then just like Martin O'Neill completely overstayed his welcome.
If there was ever a nail on the head statement that was it . Thumbs Up

Steadied the ship? A statement that actually means nothing, football teams cant sink, I can add throwaway soundbites too as below.

Ireland fans don't have issue with trap steadying the ship, it's when he hoisted the main sail that caused concern, he then continues to weigh anchor on the port side and by the time we ran aground it was time to abandon ship.

Edited by Left foot - 12 Sep 2019 at 9:11am
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:14am
Yeah everyone is right, Trap was a disaster. We never should have gotten him, we should have just stuck it out with Stan.
The dark side.. And the light
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:28am
Left Foot identity has been disclosed to me by a mod. Shocked

I don't want to tell who it is but he likes playing guitars and once played for Forest.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:31am
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Yeah everyone is right, Trap was a disaster. We never should have gotten him, we should have just stuck it out with Stan.

Cause our only options were Trap or stick with Stan? 

darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:38am
Yep, or Paul Jewel.
The dark side.. And the light
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Whatever about the when, how or who when it comes to rebuilds. The way the chips are starting to fall regarding Kenny, talented youth coming to the fore and mick  steadying the ship... something about how this has all panned out feels very right and meant to be. 

In terms of Kenny, do you think if Ireland qualify that McCarthy will walk away? That there won't be a push to stay on?

I don't think Ireland will qualify, but if they do, I'd be very confident there will be a PR job to try and get McCarthy to stay on for another campaign.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 104>
  Share Topic