You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 104>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:22am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Jack Charlton dropped Denis Irwin for the World Cup last 16 game against Holland in Orlando. 

Mick McCarthy didn't start Denis Irwin for a friendly game. 

This widespread grumbling about Mick not starting Irwin in a friendly in 1998 is absolutely fascinating. 

They got it wrong so.
Mick is a spoofer wait and see backward appointment blessed with a good squad previously and couldn't get the most out of them.
What will he do with this squad we don't even have a striker.
I fear the worst if they were going down this line should have got Big Sam.better manager simple as that
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:25am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I've decided to step down as head critic of the Irish manager.  My work is done.   I now hand the reigns over to whoever wants to bid for it.  Hans Moleman is the early bookies favourite.

How do I enter the running?

People who think we’re gonna play lovely football are living in a fantasy world 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQn5b26RWOo

watch all 12 minutes.

And wrong they went. A run of seven defeats in 10 games in the autumn, including a home defeat in the derby against Norwich, did not help the mood. While Ipswich were still in the top half after that result, their ninth without a win against their great rivals, it is the style that has antagonised. Mid-table mediocrity and unambitious football is a bad combination.

Between January and March, over a period of two-and-a-half months, Ipswich fans were subjected to over eight hours of watching their team play without scoring a goal at Portman Road. This is not just bad football but boring football. Barely believably, Ipswich have now failed to score a first-half goal in 17 of their last 20 matches.

The vocal minority in the North Stand grew and a local newspaper poll suggested over 80 per cent wanted McCarthy out. While he boasts a well-earned reputation as a thick-skinned Yorkshireman, it was increasingly clear that he did not welcome such criticism. McCarthy felt he was owed more and rather than placating these fans, he sought to confront them.

The above is from an article about McCarthys last season at Ipswich. Failed to score a goal in 17 of his sides last 20 matches at one point. Over 8 hours of home football without scoring a single goal. People on ybig actually think this guy is going to produce good football. They f*cking ran him out of Ipswich. Only a few weeks ago, one of their main supporters group was on a podcast saying that so be it if they went down, at least they didn't have to watch that stuff anymore. They'd rather be relegated than endure McCarthy for another minute. Yet McCarthys Ipswich tenure is turning into Guardiolas time at the helm of Barcelona from some on here to keep up the Great Mick nonsense. Sickening that he is our new manager.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:28am
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

From the Indo from 2001... It's a Philip Quinn interview with Denis.

Main relevant bit says

"...When the Republic of Ireland played Argentina in a friendly at Lansdowne Road that month, Irwin was left out of the team in preference to Jeff Kenna. It wasn't the first time Irwin had been overlooked by McCarthy but what stung most was a post-match remark attributed to the manager when asked to comment on Irwin's outstanding contribution as a second-half substitute and explain why he hadn't been in from the start.

McCarthy's reply about Irwin "having to prove himself" was a stinging criticism of the Manchester United player...At 32, in his prime and with a career CV that included four Premiership medals, two FA Cup wins, success in the Cup Winners Cup and League Cup finals, and experience of the '94 World Cup finals, Irwin felt he had nothing to prove.

Normally placid, Irwin was deeply upset at McCarthy's comment and friends have told how close he was to calling it a day in the aftermath of that game.Three and a half years years on, Irwin acknowledged that McCarthy's remarks "hurt at the time".

"I got my place back soon after that game so it had the right effect if he (McCarthy) wanted that," he added.

"I was in and out of the team then. I remember going to Iceland and other places and not being involved. It was disappointing and I had a couple of meetings with Mick and let him know that...."

Where does Denis say that was said? 

What actually happened was Kenna was preferred to a 32 year old Irwin in a friendly against Argentina and McCarthy jokingly said to Irwin "prove me wrong" when he brought him on. Probably a bit crass, yes but nothing like what it's been made out. 

As Irwin said after in the same article above with a direct quote this time. "A lot was said about myself and Mick but there were never any problems there,"

He wasn't bothered by it but people on here still whinging? LOL
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:30am
I like you Hans. We will be friends. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:31am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Jack Charlton dropped Denis Irwin for the World Cup last 16 game against Holland in Orlando. 
Irwin was fcuked from the heat.
Jack went for the younger, faster option to keep tabs on Overmars.

Am I wrong in saying that Irwin got 2 yellows and missed our last group game against Norway where we got a clean sheet. So Jack stuck with Phelan and Kelly for the next game. Think that's how it played out. That's not imo to excuse Irwin being ever dropped for us, a truly top class player - just giving Charltons scenario there some context.

On a more interesting note, if Charlton f.airyed up in peoples eyes by dropping Irwin, does that mean there can't be anything wrong with McCarthy doing similar? Absolutely bizarre logic from Micks fanboys there.

As is the logic that if you think that McCarthy shouldn't be next or near the Irish job that all of your criticsms of McCarthy stem from Saipan. Such an embarrassing and childish argument being wheeled out. I wonder was it Saipan that made the Ipswich fans run MCCarthy out of town?
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:33am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

LOL 

have to say I laughed reading that. Which is great because I genuinely didn't think I'd feel any lower about the Irish team than over the past 12 months, but it's now happening with this appointment.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

LOL 

have to say I laughed reading that. Which is great because I genuinely didn't think I'd feel any lower about the Irish team than over the past 12 months, but it's now happening with this appointment.

Yeah it's a tough one. I'm honest enough to admit that I don't remember his management style that much from when he managed us. I remember the highs of Holland and then lows of Saipan.  

I remember also crying a bit when we missed out on tournaments but I just don't know. He is honest and refreshing in interviews but he has always been a puppet for the FAI and I hated that. 

I just want us to have an identity and play with a style. Sick of hoof ball and no hope. 

For 1.2 million we should have s bigger pool. 

For 300k we could have got Kenny Cry
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:47am

I've decided to step down as head critic of the Irish manager.  My work is done.   I now hand the reigns over to whoever wants to bid for it.  Hans Moleman is the early bookies favourite.

watch all 12 minutes.

And wrong they went. A run of seven defeats in 10 games in the autumn, including a home defeat in the derby against Norwich, did not help the mood. While Ipswich were still in the top half after that result, their ninth without a win against their great rivals, it is the style that has antagonised. Mid-table mediocrity and unambitious football is a bad combination.

Between January and March, over a period of two-and-a-half months, Ipswich fans were subjected to over eight hours of watching their team play without scoring a goal at Portman Road. This is not just bad football but boring football. Barely believably, Ipswich have now failed to score a first-half goal in 17 of their last 20 matches.

The vocal minority in the North Stand grew and a local newspaper poll suggested over 80 per cent wanted McCarthy out. While he boasts a well-earned reputation as a thick-skinned Yorkshireman, it was increasingly clear that he did not welcome such criticism. McCarthy felt he was owed more and rather than placating these fans, he sought to confront them.

The above is from an article about McCarthys last season at Ipswich. Failed to score a goal in 17 of his sides last 20 matches at one point. Over 8 hours of home football without scoring a single goal. People on ybig actually think this guy is going to produce good football. They f*cking ran him out of Ipswich. Only a few weeks ago, one of their main supporters group was on a podcast saying that so be it if they went down, at least they didn't have to watch that stuff anymore. They'd rather be relegated than endure McCarthy for another minute. Yet McCarthys Ipswich tenure is turning into Guardiolas time at the helm of Barcelona from some on here to keep up the Great Mick nonsense. Sickening that he is our new manager.

you didn't watch the 12 minute clip did you? if you did i'm sure you would have admitted by now the vast majority of the goals were as a result of nice build up play. from what i can remember only 1 solitary goal from the 60 scored last season was as a result of a punt up field - hardly ball in the clouds stuff eh?.

anyway it's pointless talking to you sunny boy as you're clearly not for turning.

ybig ClapClapClap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t31p8kd35KU&feature=youtu.be

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:51am
Mick is not the antichrist.

We'll go close to qualifying unless this is the draw

France
Germany
Ireland
Greece
Macedonia
Latvia
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:58am
Yes Irwin got 2 yellows and missed the Norway match.

Received 2nd yellow against Mexico for time wasting taking a throw in when we were a goal down 😆.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
garretjoseph View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garretjoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:59am
didn’t even know we were a man up against Spain. FFS. God help us.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:00am

watch all 12 minutes.

you didn't watch the 12 minute clip did you? if you did i'm sure you would have admitted by now the vast majority of the goals were as a result of nice build up play. from what i can remember only 1 solitary goal from the 60 scored last season was as a result of a punt up field - hardly ball in the clouds stuff eh?.

anyway it's pointless talking to you sunny boy as you're clearly not for turning.

ybig ClapClapClap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t31p8kd35KU&feature=youtu.be

You surely realise how mad it is to equate a 12 minute clip to the style of football being played by a team. I've watched Middlesboro a few times this season (like acid in my eyes), I watched Villa a good few times last season (a really tough watch). I have absolutely no doubt that if you put together clips of their goals you would have no clue how hard a watch those sides are. Silly imo.

I'm not for turning because I've seen it all before with MCCarthy. I simply don't rate him, and if that salary of 1.2m a year is true, well the FAI board should be strung up by their ballbags. The amount of quality coaches in Europe and beyond that could come in and do a quality job for that kind of money.  It's a farcical decision to give it to McCarthy. Then there's Kenny who I would have liked to have seen got it. Either way it shows how retarded the FAI are that McCarthy could even make a shortlist, let alone get the job. Smacks of a political decision, appease a section of the support, there will be a massive positive swell in the media from the ex player brigade sucking Mick off at every turn (are some of the posters on here ex players of Micks?). If I was Delaney, I would have appointed McCArthy. It was the perfect move for self preservation. From an Irish football perspective, it's the final nail in the coffin.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Played a full back who'd been playing Champions league football the previous season and European football 3 years on the bounce and 5 of the previous 7 ahead of a Fulham player. Oh, the humanity!
Finnan was voted best right full in the EPL that season.

Also the McAteer debacle against Cameroon.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:02am
Originally posted by garretjoseph garretjoseph wrote:

didn’t even know we were a man up against Spain. FFS. God help us.

I would genuinely like to know all of the heavily pro McCarthy brigade thoughts on this? Nobody has even attempted to bat this one away. I'll be honest, I can't recall something like this ever happening in all of the matches I've ever seen. In a world cup last 16 knockout. F*ckin hell LOL
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:04am

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Played a full back who'd been playing Champions league football the previous season and European football 3 years on the bounce and 5 of the previous 7 ahead of a Fulham player. Oh, the humanity!
Finnan was voted best right full in the EPL that season.

Also the McAteer debacle against Cameroon.

Was that about McAteer thinking he was starting and then not starting or something? Had McAteer a knock in the run up? All off memory,tis lovely lovely to go down memory lane with our Mick.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:05am
At about 4:20pm on Saturday November 10th, exactly 17 years to the day since Ireland beat Iran 2-0 in the first leg of the World Cup qualifying play-off at Lansdowne Road, I chanced upon a late face value standing ticket to see U2 in the arena formerly known as the Point Depot, and then made a mad dash from Galway to Dublin to go to the concert. 

I had not seen U2 play live since September 1st, 2001, when I made a mad dash to Slane after attending the Ireland-Holland game at Lansdowne Road, a victory which was one of the most courageous, the most brave, the most committed and ultimately one of the most effective Irish performances we've ever seen. 

A victory which was masterminded by one Mick McCarthy. 

When I attended the U2 concert 13 days ago, it was clearly an omen. I was again experiencing something beautiful that I hadn't experienced since September 1st, 2001. 

Ten days after that great day, the Twin Towers would fall. And 17 years later, history would repeat itself, as, ten days after the next time I saw U2 play live, the Twin Towers - the North Tower of O'Neill and the South Tower of Keane, would also fall. 

And the man, the manager, who gave me that other beautiful experience of September 1st, 2001, would return in glorious fashion.

The similarities between now and September 2001 are eerie, but brilliant. That day we looked forward to glory in 2002, today we look forward to glory in 2020. 

Sometimes the world works in Mysterious Ways. Mick is our number One again and he'll be there Until The End of the World Cup. The haters may think they're Stuck In A Moment They Can't Get Out Of, but for real Irish football fans, this has been a Beautiful Day. 

Edited by sid waddell - 24 Nov 2018 at 1:07am
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:08am

Yes Irwin got 2 yellows and missed the Norway match.

Received 2nd yellow against Mexico for time wasting taking a throw in when we were a goal down 😆.

I was at that game .Irwin had a nightmare. At fault for one of the goals if not both. Gary Kelly had a better World Cup in 94. Irwin was a better player overall but Kelly was class back then. One of the few who could keep Giggs quiet in the league. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:14am

Irwin was fcuked from the heat.
Jack went for the younger, faster option to keep tabs on Overmars.

Am I wrong in saying that Irwin got 2 yellows and missed our last group game against Norway where we got a clean sheet. So Jack stuck with Phelan and Kelly for the next game. Think that's how it played out. That's not imo to excuse Irwin being ever dropped for us, a truly top class player - just giving Charltons scenario there some context.

On a more interesting note, if Charlton f.airyed up in peoples eyes by dropping Irwin, does that mean there can't be anything wrong with McCarthy doing similar? Absolutely bizarre logic from Micks fanboys there.

As is the logic that if you think that McCarthy shouldn't be next or near the Irish job that all of your criticsms of McCarthy stem from Saipan. Such an embarrassing and childish argument being wheeled out. I wonder was it Saipan that made the Ipswich fans run MCCarthy out of town?
Jack Charlton didn't pick Irwin in a World Cup knockout match

Mick didn't start Irwin in a friendly match.

Do you see the difference between these things?

I'll explain it to you anyway.

A World Cup knockout match is very important. 

A friendly is not important. A friendly is there for experimenting.

I await your myopic vilifying of Jack Charlton.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 104>
  Share Topic