Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 104>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 6:19pm
Mick Clap
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 10:54am

Edited by horsebox - 04 Dec 2016 at 10:55am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 10:55am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 5:11pm
That's f**king gas. Mick the Tree McCarthy 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

That's f**king gas. Mick the Tree McCarthy 

How long did it take ya to come up with that gem Bob?
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 4:41pm
Think his time at Ipswich could be coming to an end.

Under pressure with his meh season and 2-1 down to conference side Lincoln in the FA Cup.

Edited by coyne - 07 Jan 2017 at 4:41pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:10pm
Ended 2-2 but id say he might not be there much longer.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:19pm
I know a couple of Ipswich season ticket holders and they say the fans have wanted him out for most of the season as they don't like his route 1 football. I think a lot of Ipswich fans are slightly deluded and living in the past, they don't seem to realise that Ipswich have one of the smallest budgets in the division and that he is constantly papering over the cracks. He replaced Murphy with Leon Best as an example. The football might not be pretty but it can be hard to play like Barcelona on a limited budget
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:22pm
The Tractor Boys complaining about agricultural footballErmm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I know a couple of Ipswich season ticket holders and they say the fans have wanted him out for most of the season as they don't like his route 1 football. I think a lot of Ipswich fans are slightly deluded and living in the past, they don't seem to realise that Ipswich have one of the smallest budgets in the division and that he is constantly papering over the cracks. He replaced Murphy with Leon Best as an example. The football might not be pretty but it can be hard to play like Barcelona on a limited budget

Ipswich fans are completely aware that they've been financially broke ever since that debut season in the Premier League in the 90's, I had to research what's actually gone so badly wrong for them this season but it appears it's the whole of 2016 where things have started going wrong not just since August. I found the following;

0.8 goals per game in 2016
29/36 games at Home without scoring within the first 55 minutes

I'm not gonna lie, it looks pretty bleak regardless what financial situation you're in.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:42pm
Well their owner marcus evans isnt short of a few pound. Hes loaded.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Well their owner marcus evans isnt short of a few pound. Hes loaded.

He bought that huge debt off and charges interest on the club!

No wonder they're so skint when their Chairman is siphoning any reserves into his pocket!
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 7:14am

Have it on pretty good authority that when Daryl Murphy left Ipswich, he wasn't expecting McCarthy to last much longer there, due to behind the scenes issues (nothing to do with that particular transfer, they got on well & presumably still do to an extent, more to do with with general financial issues at the club). 

That squad/team has stagnated, in his 4 and a bit years, Mick has got them into the playoffs a few times, then was forced to sell his better players (likes of Mings & Murphy), I think the remainder of the mainly experienced championship pros & quite possibly McCarthy himself, have realised they aren't good enough to go any further, in effect, he is a dead man walking, no fault of his own, but it seems to be just a matter of timing at this stage as to when the inevitable divorce occurs. 

Mick has enough credit in the bank to pick up another job at some point, especially in a division he has generally done exceptionally well in, as for Ipswich & their fans, ya couldn't be quite as sure. Be careful what ya wish for & all that. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 10:33am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Have it on pretty good authority that when Daryl Murphy left Ipswich, he wasn't expecting McCarthy to last much longer there, due to behind the scenes issues (nothing to do with that particular transfer, they got on well & presumably still do to an extent, more to do with with general financial issues at the club). 

That squad/team has stagnated, in his 4 and a bit years, Mick has got them into the playoffs a few times, then was forced to sell his better players (likes of Mings & Murphy), I think the remainder of the mainly experienced championship pros & quite possibly McCarthy himself, have realised they aren't good enough to go any further, in effect, he is a dead man walking, no fault of his own, but it seems to be just a matter of timing at this stage as to when the inevitable divorce occurs. 

Mick has enough credit in the bank to pick up another job at some point, especially in a division he has generally done exceptionally well in, as for Ipswich & their fans, ya couldn't be quite as sure. Be careful what ya wish for & all that. 

Yeah, if and when McCarthy goes, I'd expect Ipswich to end up in a relegation scrap. He's done exceptionally well with zero budget there, I don't think anyone would do any better and think whoever succeeds him will undoubtedly do worse.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Yeah that seems to be the size of it, Mick isn't going to throw the towel in and they won't sack him for as long as possible. Within six months of him leaving they will probably want him back as they find themselves heading for league one.
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 2:49pm
He's been unlucky that he's never got to manage a side with a strong academy with a stream of players coming through. He is pretty poor in the transfer market. I can't think of one outstanding signing he made at Millwall, Wolves, Sunderland or Ipswich although to be fair, he has never had a huge budget to work with. The effect he has had at every club he has managed has fizzled out after a few seasons. He won't struggle to get another job but I can't see him turning things around now at Ipswich unless there is a major cash injection. 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

He's been unlucky that he's never got to manage a side with a strong academy with a stream of players coming through. He is pretty poor in the transfer market. I can't think of one outstanding signing he made at Millwall, Wolves, Sunderland or Ipswich although to be fair, he has never had a huge budget to work with. The effect he has had at every club he has managed has fizzled out after a few seasons. He won't struggle to get another job but I can't see him turning things around now at Ipswich unless there is a major cash injection. 

I agree with you generally, although you'd have to say McCarthy has done very well with signings at Ipswich. He brought Murphy and McGoldrick back from the dead and they nearly got him back in the premier league. He's generally poor with a transfer budget though.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

Eh. Managing clubs on peanuts money is his area of expertise. 
What he did at Sunderland is so extremely under-rated that anyone who plays it down does deserve a slap across the face.
The job he took on was a club about 18 months away from administration, which would lead to penalties, assets being sold off left right and centre just to keep the club in the black never mind in the Championship and with those resources he managed a FA Cup semi-final and a Promotion the following season, forget the Premiership and what happened that season, the TV money alone actually saved the club from disaster.

He had his chance to deal with proper investment at Wolves.

He needs a Chairman who is willing to invest some cash back into the club, not some businessman who charges interest on a club already in 9 figures of debt.

Always a legend Mick is Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 104>
  Share Topic