You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fooking car hire companies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

How did you get on TJ?

Grand.  When I arrived I had to phone the company to send a shuttle bus to collect me.  Had to wait 10mins.  Their offices were a couple of miles from the airport in an industrial estate.  Yer man behind the counter wanted to know if I wanted the insurance.  It was £28 per day.  I thought about it but then thought I am fully covered with carhireexcess.ie so keep the 30 quid in my pocket.  Yer man says the excess is £1200 stg and takes my credit card and charges me for it and says I will be refunded once the car is returned with no damage.    Gave it the full once over for about 20 mins.  Was a brand new car with 3000 miles on the clock.  There were 2 small scratches on it though. One on the bonnet and tail.  Returned the car fine and yer man only gave it a cursory check. Said it was fine and they drpped me to the airport.   Checked my bank accounts online and there is a transaction pending for £1200 from the company.  They better refund me quick though.  I read online it can take up to a month for them to refund you.

I paid £18.75 for the car and used exactly £20 petrol on my trip.  So 40 quid all in was very cheap.  I would be hesitant to hire from them again though for the 1200 excess which is double that of most companies.  I will report back about the refund.  I dont want to have to pay it off at the end of the month!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 9:00pm
1200 quid excess is ridiculous, hope it's only a few  days wait for it to be reverted back.A month is beyond a joke.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 11:53pm
I can't remember if I said this before but Hertz accused me of taking the spare tyre onto a plane to Ireland. We had to get a solicitor involved to get the money back. This was after their fella checked the car out and said everything was alright.

Edited by corkery - 18 Aug 2018 at 11:57pm
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Got stung in Italy.

First they gave me a car I'd not ordered and then had to pay an extra 35 because it was diesel.

Then when I dropped it back there was sand on the seat - 38e cleaning fee.

The more I argued the more into detail he looked.

A tiny little mark on the bonnet then cost me another 300e.

Jaysus.. just say no. Ive hired cars mostly in Engerland,but also Spain and Cyprus.Never had an issue. Just tell the **** the car is in sh*t when you get it. I actually scribbled all over the inspection paperwork one time in Majorca. That **** knew he was not getting a red cent. Surprised at you HB being taken for a mug

They said to me don't take the car if you don't want to - buy you still have to pay for the next 3 days hire as part of the agreement.

Then what do I do?

I've 5 suitcases and 5 bags and currently 2km from the airport. They know dam well I'll take the car.

Ultimately what happened was that I didn't take their insurance so they were going to make me pay for it. They inspected the car with a fine tooth comb and they found a dent and made me pay for it.

I've put in a claim for what I paid with carhireexcess.com - will I get a refund or not I don't know but they are kicking that can down the road.

Lesson learned - I'd never take a car without taking the full insurance again.

I got my 300 back from carhireexcess.com

So just paid the 38 for the cleaning. I also put in a complaint against the fact that I paid 35 euro extra for a diesel car which was not in my T&C but it was listed on the website.

When I entered the complaint - the site just timed out and nothing happened. However, a week later I got that 35e refunded too.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:18pm
Who refunded you about the diesel car? Carhireexcess.com or the rental car company?

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:33pm
I'd assume the car rental company.

I put in a claim to CHE for 338.
38e for the cleaning and 300e for the dent on the bonnet.

I didn't mention that the 38 was for the cleaning fee. But they must have checked and just authorized a refund of 300.

I was chancing my arm in fairness.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:51pm
At least you got your money back.  How long did it take?

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 9:00pm
4 weeks.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 9:04pm

4 weeks.

Not too bad

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 4:01pm
you need to add car hire companies to your Enemies List 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 4:53pm
The worst part about that €300 charge for the dent on the bonnet is they won't even fix it and will probably leave it there to try and sting the next person who rents the car.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

The worst part about that €300 charge for the dent on the bonnet is they won't even fix it and will probably leave it there to try and sting the next person who rents the car.

100%

There was already a heavy dent in the boot - looked to be there a good while too.

The 'dent' that I got was barely visible considering the dirt on the bonnet.

I felt that they were going to punish me for not buying the insurance from them, and they were going to make me pay, and considering I had my own insurance, which they were aware of - only that 3rd party company would take the hit.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 10:01pm
A brand new chapter here, put the kettle on.

Hired a car in Faro, they gave me the forms and on the “map” of the car, there was one “x”.
According to them that meant there was only one bit of damage/dent/scratch on it.
The car was only 6 months old, 10k on the clock.
So I went out to the car and found 12 more scratches/marks etc.
I went back into them, and without even checking they said ok and did a new form/contract with 13 “x”s on it.
The car was parked reversed very close to a wall, it was only when I moved it out a few feet I saw marks on the rear bumper.
I just knew there was going to be an issue when I returned it.
I took about 30 photo’s of the car.

I returned it 10 days later after filling up the tank at the petrol station right outside the airport.
I drove it straight to the Goldcar car park, the guy gets into the car, turns the key and says the tank is not full. I said it was, i filled it up 5 minutes ago, I then said give me the keys then and I’ll bring it back to the garage to fill it again (knowing I’d get about 10c into it), I said I was in no rush.
He turned the key again and said “ ahh it is ok, it is full, the needle didn’t go all the way up the first time”.
Chancer.
I then gave him the contract to sign and he saw the original first page only had the one “x” on it, he walks around to the back of the car and says there is new damage.
I turned to the amended 2nd page of the contract , the one with 13 “x”s, and I showed him the photo with the bumper damage already on it.
He just gave me a look and said “ok everything is good”, he signed the contract and wrote “full” on it beside the mileage.

So everything was grand until 3 days later I get an email to say I was being charged a €59 penalty fee for not returning the tank full.
I emailed them a copy of the contract with “full” written on it, and initialled by the guy who took the car back.
I got an email back, referring to their fuel penalty fee policy.
Then I emailed again, saying I was fully aware of the policy, but they need to look at the photo/contract.
Again a bland reply....so I took to Twitter.
I tweeted Goldcar and Faro Airport.....brief description and the contract photo with “full” written on it.
Then I tweeted Goldcar and Portugl tourism the same message/photo
Then I teeeted Goldcar and Algarve tourism the same message/photo
Then I tweeted Goldcar and Portuguese Govt same message/photo
Then I tweeted Goldcar and Portuguese Tourism minister message/photo
Then I tweeted Goldcar and Portuguese National TV message/photo
Then I tweeted Goldcar and Portuguese National Radio same message/photo
I was firing these out every couple of minutes, then guess what happened.....I got a tweet from “Goldcar Cares” saying there may have been a mistake, they are sorry.
If I could open a new complaint file they would get it refunded.

Money went back into my account yesterday.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 12:19am
They're a bunch of cowboys Ted!

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 11:38am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

A brand new chapter here, put the kettle on.

Hired a car in Faro, they gave me the forms and on the “map” of the car, there was one “x”.
According to them that meant there was only one bit of damage/dent/scratch on it.
The car was only 6 months old, 10k on the clock.
So I went out to the car and found 12 more scratches/marks etc.
I went back into them, and without even checking they said ok and did a new form/contract with 13 “x”s on it.
The car was parked reversed very close to a wall, it was only when I moved it out a few feet I saw marks on the rear bumper.
I just knew there was going to be an issue when I returned it.
I took about 30 photo’s of the car.

I returned it 10 days later after filling up the tank at the petrol station right outside the airport.
I drove it straight to the Goldcar car park, the guy gets into the car, turns the key and says the tank is not full. I said it was, i filled it up 5 minutes ago, I then said give me the keys then and I’ll bring it back to the garage to fill it again (knowing I’d get about 10c into it), I said I was in no rush.
He turned the key again and said “ ahh it is ok, it is full, the needle didn’t go all the way up the first time”.
Chancer.
I then gave him the contract to sign and he saw the original first page only had the one “x” on it, he walks around to the back of the car and says there is new damage.
I turned to the amended 2nd page of the contract , the one with 13 “x”s, and I showed him the photo with the bumper damage already on it.
He just gave me a look and said “ok everything is good”, he signed the contract and wrote “full” on it beside the mileage.

So everything was grand until 3 days later I get an email to say I was being charged a €59 penalty fee for not returning the tank full.
I emailed them a copy of the contract with “full” written on it, and initialled by the guy who took the car back.
I got an email back, referring to their fuel penalty fee policy.
Then I emailed again, saying I was fully aware of the policy, but they need to look at the photo/contract.
Again a bland reply....so I took to Twitter.
I tweeted Goldcar and Faro Airport.....brief description and the contract photo with “full” written on it.
Then I tweeted Goldcar and Portugl tourism the same message/photo
Then I teeeted Goldcar and Algarve tourism the same message/photo
Then I tweeted Goldcar and Portuguese Govt same message/photo
Then I tweeted Goldcar and Portuguese Tourism minister message/photo
Then I tweeted Goldcar and Portuguese National TV message/photo
Then I tweeted Goldcar and Portuguese National Radio same message/photo
I was firing these out every couple of minutes, then guess what happened.....I got a tweet from “Goldcar Cares” saying there may have been a mistake, they are sorry.
If I could open a new complaint file they would get it refunded.

Money went back into my account yesterday.

Fair play. have heard that GOLD CAR crowd are awful chancers.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 11:53am
Two bookings recently...

Rented a Citroen C3 AirCross a couple of weeks ago from Easirent at Heathrow. 5.5 miles on the clock ...they only got it in that day and I was its first renter. The car cost £40 for 3 days rental without taking up the optional extras. Obviously there wasn't a speck on the car. No issues after bringing it back full and adding 300 miles to the clock (unlimited mileage). £1200 hold on the credit card has been returned.  
Booked a car through Ryanair a few months ago for a trip to Ireland last week. They have a deal with car trawler and ended up with Budget.

Prepaid the €110 for 7 days rental from Cork airport and didn't take any optional extras. Picked the car up, a 161 Seat Mii, which had a rake of scratches and dents along with 93k on the clock. Brought the car back on Tuesday after filling it up, dropped the keys into the desk in the terminal and yer man only asked if I had scratched / damaged the car and filled it up which I said No and Yes.  

It seemed very straightforward and no issues. Still waiting for the €1250 hold to be released on the card but that should be back in the next couple of working days.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 12:32pm
I've been renting since 2005. Got badly stung once but once is enough to put the sh*ts up you.  ITs all down to the individual you are dealing with. Sometimes the employee is lazy and couldn't be arsed checking the car thoroughly. Other times they are out to get you.  I think I remember BBC Panorama or someone like that doing an investigation into car rental companies years back.

Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 4:03pm
How long does it normally take for them to take money from you?

Went to Spain there a few weeks ago, hired a piece of sh*t Toyota Yaris from Gold Car, f**king thing could barely get up hills, kept getting overtaken by camper vans and sh*t.

Anyway I kind of clipped a wall coming out of a car park, knocked the back off the side mirror, not problem clipping it back on but there was a chunk taken out of it and a few scratches on the door. 

On the way to the airport I stopped in for petrol but it was one of those where you have to pay in advance, the lad behind the counter didn't speak English and I didn't know how much I needed so I asked for 10 litres and got 10 Euros worth, ended up with 3/4 of a tank sending it back.

So far nothing has been taken from my account, two weeks after returning it. 
There was nobody on duty when I arrived at the drop off point, so I just parked it up and took the keys into the terminal building the woman in the office just took the keys and I didn't have any sort of check out on the car. Do you reckon I'm in the clear?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic