You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fooking car hire companies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Use a debit card, Avis / Budget accept them and only take a £200 deposit in the UK. 

Hmm. I have never heard of car hire companies giving you a car without a credit card as the plan is to fleece you for thousands if you as so much scratch the car.  They cant fleece you with a debit card.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:37pm
A lot of them will tack a db.

Then it depends on the level of insurance you take out....usual divided in 3 categories. Let's call them bronze,silver,gold.

Bronze excess will be in the thousands and you will need that on your card for them to accept it.(expect to be fleeced if theres a scratch)

Silver,usual 2-500

Gold,0

The top insurance is usually more than the rental.Ive been caught before.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:41pm
I decided to just take the chance and go with carhireexcess.com.  They gave cover for 9 euro for 3 days rental.  The equivalent insurance on rentalcars.com witht he booking was 50 euro.  The booking itself was 22 euro!

So if you did it all with rentalcars.com  it would cost 72 euro
With the booking from rentalcars and the insurance from carhire excess the total is 31 euro. 

Just hope its not too good to be true!

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Anyone book using Car hire excess.com? What are they like?  Instead of paying hefty insurance for excess at the desk?  Any hidden things they wont pay up on if I plump for this?

Read the T&C.
If the claim is genuine, and you follow their T&C’s, they have to pay.
I have paid for it regularly (€3 per day approx for Europe) but never had to make a claim.
The car hire company will take anywhere from €1,000 to €2,500 approx from your credit card if you do proper damage.
You then submit a claim with Carhireexcess when you get home to try and get your money back.
Make sure you have all the details of the “incident” when you send in your claim.
Take a lot of photos of the car (wheels, locks, bumpers) when you get it in the car hire car park.
Take a photo of the dash when the engine is turned on to record the mileage, and to see if any warning lights were on when you got the car.
If the incident involves another vehicle, call the police, you’ll more than likely need a police report.
Have the excess company phone number on your mobile.
Ring them straight away and tell them what has happened, don’t wait until you get home to ring them, get a claim reference number, take loads of photos of the car at the scene of the damage, ask them exactly what you need to do.
Keep all the email confirmations of your original booking of the car hire, accommodation booking, flights booking etc.
Keep all receipts.
If you’re under the influence, or were driving recklessly, you’re fooked.

We had a claim years ago that came to about €5,000 while abroad.
It wasn’t to do with a car, but the travel insurance company’s list of requirements was very long.
We posted in all the forms/receipts, when I phoned for a progress report, they said they never received anything, luckily I had photocopied everything and hand delivered the next envelope to their office.
Got every penny back.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:18am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Anyone book using Car hire excess.com? What are they like?  Instead of paying hefty insurance for excess at the desk?  Any hidden things they wont pay up on if I plump for this?

Read the T&C.
If the claim is genuine, and you follow their T&C’s, they have to pay.
I have paid for it regularly (€3 per day approx for Europe) but never had to make a claim.
The car hire company will take anywhere from €1,000 to €2,500 approx from your credit card if you do proper damage.
You then submit a claim with Carhireexcess when you get home to try and get your money back.
Make sure you have all the details of the “incident” when you send in your claim.
Take a lot of photos of the car (wheels, locks, bumpers) when you get it in the car hire car park.
Take a photo of the dash when the engine is turned on to record the mileage, and to see if any warning lights were on when you got the car.
If the incident involves another vehicle, call the police, you’ll more than likely need a police report.
Have the excess company phone number on your mobile.
Ring them straight away and tell them what has happened, don’t wait until you get home to ring them, get a claim reference number, take loads of photos of the car at the scene of the damage, ask them exactly what you need to do.
Keep all the email confirmations of your original booking of the car hire, accommodation booking, flights booking etc.
Keep all receipts.
If you’re under the influence, or were driving recklessly, you’re fooked.

We had a claim years ago that came to about €5,000 while abroad.
It wasn’t to do with a car, but the travel insurance company’s list of requirements was very long.
We posted in all the forms/receipts, when I phoned for a progress report, they said they never received anything, luckily I had photocopied everything and hand delivered the next envelope to their office.
Got every penny back.

Thanks man.  Usually take photos.  Never thought of taking the dash.  The fookers caught me before (see pg 1).  Well aware that its a scam to screw you.  I hate insurance companies. They are liek a bookies who doesn't want to pay up when they lose a bet.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 8:36am

I always use them and get a discount too - I can give you the code if you want it.

If you are to use a debit card - you have pay the full insurance.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 9:08am
TJ would you not just bring your own car to the UK on the ferry and avoid this sh*te LOL
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 9:36am
How exactly does the car hire excess crowd work? Do you still have to pay the excess at the desk when you collect the car or do they cover it for you??

Hiring a car next month and the deposit when collecting is £300 with a liability of £1200... just spied that it's credit card only for paying it too and that I must have £1500 on the card.

Edited by ShamtheRam - 28 Jun 2018 at 9:54am
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 10:16am
Yep usually they block the damage liability money for 2 weeks only on a credit card although I have used a debit card before. From experience try make sure you do a 100% check for marks n scratches before accepting it. I just got done in Italy last week for 180 for tiny scratch which Im pretty sure I didn't do.
Thread carefully as this is where they make their money. The wise move is to get full liability insurance but this can be expensive usually as expensive as hire of car itself. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I always use them and get a discount too - I can give you the code if you want it.

If you are to use a debit card - you have pay the full insurance.

Cheers Horse but booked it last night.  Hopefully I won't be back on here after being torn a new one.

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 10:47am
I normally just pay the full excess so there's no worries.

We in NZ last year and rented a car for about 6days, drove all around the North Island and some f**ker marked up the whole left side of it reversing their truck out one morning and did a legger. When I dropped it back they didn't care because I was fully insured.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 11:01am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

I normally just pay the full excess so there's no worries.

We in NZ last year and rented a car for about 6days, drove all around the North Island and some f**ker marked up the whole left side of it reversing their truck out one morning and did a legger. When I dropped it back they didn't care because I was fully insured.
That's what I did in March. Just rocked up to the desk in the airport and looked for a car. Paid it and was only charged the deposit. There was none of this 1200 excess the other crowd are requesting.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 11:31am
Pay the full insurance so you don't have to worry about excess and being screwed over. That's all these places are looking for, to screw you over on any little thing imaginable.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 11:39am

Pay the full insurance so you don't have to worry about excess and being screwed over. That's all these places are looking for, to screw you over on any little thing imaginable.

Probably should have but in theory carhireexcess.com should reimburse me.  Probably worth the expensive insurance it for peace of mind but saved 40 euro by going elsewhere. If anything happens I better be 100% on the ball with receipts, photos etc..

Patman Scoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 11:55am
TJ Do you know what would be the perfect card to use in this situation if your worried about getting screwed ?

LOL

Edited by Patman Scoop - 28 Jun 2018 at 11:56am
Why no wine??!
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Patman Scoop Patman Scoop wrote:

TJ Do you know what would be the perfect card to use in this situation if your worried about getting screwed ?

LOL

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:33pm

Probably should have but in theory carhireexcess.com should reimburse me.  Probably worth the expensive insurance it for peace of mind but saved 40 euro by going elsewhere. If anything happens I better be 100% on the ball with receipts, photos etc..
saving €40 is good business...Clap thats about what i saved using the revolut for for ex transactions lately. Good workClapClap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:46pm
Revolut Cards. Is there anything thry cant do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic