Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waterford FC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 52>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 1:30am
Roddy the reaper.
Sponsored Links

Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 1:41am
I don't think JD will let his auld fellas club go to the wall.
It's different than the other clubs with the strong family connection to Waterford.

Waterford are going no where so all I can hope is this will be the making of them the same way the likes of Galway, Cork and even to a lesser extent Cobh have risen out of the ashes.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 10:06am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Roddy the reaper.
And he will still get a job after destroying another club
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 10:27am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Roddy the reaper.

he spends the money the club give him, just like pat fenlon....

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:32am
If only that were the case...
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 3:09pm
Roddy Collins has challenged john delaney to a charity boxing match to raise funds for waterford utd. Could raise an absolute fortune with that as the main fight LOL

Edited by Doyler1993 - 25 Apr 2016 at 3:09pm
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

Roddy Collins has challenged john delaney to a charity boxing match to raise funds for waterford utd. Could raise an absolute fortune with that as the main fight LOL
I would happily pay my hard earned for that
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Roddy the reaper.

The idea that any manager has ever destroyed a club is nonsense.
Committees/owners decide the budget.

If I was a manager I'd walk in looking for the biggest budget in the league because my job/livelihood would depend on me being successful.
It's up to the people running the club to say no.

In Waterfords case it's not that they've overspent it's just their current expenses can't be met by their attendances/income.
They've been in a poor place for a number of years and it's all just come to a head now which would have happened regardless of who was in charge.

The boxing match thing is actually pretty shrewd. It's drawn national media attention to Waterfords plight and put the ball firmly in Delaneys court to do something about his "hometown club".

Edited by Bitored - 25 Apr 2016 at 4:51pm
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
trevwaterford View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevwaterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 5:15pm
Spot on bitored. It's not Roddy Collins fault this time and the problems have been there at the club for years. The budget is very low and he hasn't been able to bring in many players resulting in poor results due to young team. We have no shirt sponsor and low crowds so not much income coming in.
ontheball View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ontheball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 2:19pm
Waterford United are holding an open meeting in the Woodlands Hotel tomorrow at 7pm to discuss their situation and try and seek support and help from the soccer community of Waterford.
SRFCpaulie View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRFCpaulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 11:10am
That boxing match would be a classic!!!! When I saw it first, I thought it was something to do with Roddy being annoyed with the FAI over his suspension.
ontheball View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ontheball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 10:57am
Over 100 people attended the open meeting about the present situation of the club and going into the future at the Woodlands Hotel on Wed night.  One positive development is that Derek O'Brien has taken on the role of Liason Officer of the Club which will interact with the Leagues in Waterford and try and knit them together.  This is a problem in the make up of soccer in this country, to give an example in Waterford and I would imagine its the same in the rest of the country, we have Waterford United, the Waterford Junior League, the Waterford Schoolboy League, the Waterford Schoolgirl League and they are seem to be paddling their own boats with not a lot of trust, respect nor cooperation between all.  Hopefully this will be a start in the right direction.

In the immediate, the Blues need €90,000 to see out the season and a fundraising drive has been put into effect.  

There needs to be a short term plan to see out this season but there needs to be a five year plan to start building the club within the community.  A club with such a proud tradition has to be strengthened with long term planning as opposed to we reading every second year that it is about to go to the wall.

The supporters and officials of Waterford Utd really appreciated Pat O'Sullivan of Limerick FC coming along and speaking on the experiences of Limerick and donations have been received from supporters of Limerick FC, Cork City and Shamrock Rovers to name a few, these supporters of other clubs who don't want to see Waterford United going to the wall.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 2:21pm
That's great news ontheball
Best of luck.
I looked at the gofundme page last night and it was 1k it's twice that today. Hopefully it keeps up that rate.
My question would be why did it take near financial ruin for positive changes to be put in place?
I'm not just aiming that at Waterford but most other clubs. It was the same at Cork, Galway, Shams etc.

Edited by Bitored - 29 Apr 2016 at 2:23pm
RKBarmyArmy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKBarmyArmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

That's great news ontheball
Best of luck.
I looked at the gofundme page last night and it was 1k it's twice that today. Hopefully it keeps up that rate.
My question would be why did it take near financial ruin for positive changes to be put in place?
I'm not just aiming that at Waterford but most other clubs. It was the same at Cork, Galway, Shams etc.

I can only speak for Cork City, but after Brian Lennox sold the club, it was run by some absolute lunatics/conmen in the form of Arkaga and Tom Coughlan. The fans pleaded with him at the time to allow us to take control of the club but he went nuts, his interview with Prendo on 96fm is on Youtube if you fancy listening to a mentally unstable man in control of a football club. 

Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 3:08pm
Fair enough.
We really need stricter licensing and it needs to be spelt out to clubs that they must show they have good working partnerships with local junior clubs, a longterm financial plan and a good social media presence.
The amount of clubs that aren't capable of running a Facebook or Twitter page is a joke. Take my own club Rovers or Dundalk they've 17,000+ twitterfollowers. Everytime they have a fundraiser/match it's a click of a button and 17,000 fans know about it. That's free and it's invaluable.

Why do these things only come to the fore when the bailiff is at the door?

If clubs aren't prepared to do those things they shouldn't be given licenses. If we end up with an 8 team Premier Division so be it we shouldn't be afraid of starting from scratch.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 4:54pm
Waterford United have a lot in common with many race tracks around Ireland, soulless venues with the same old faces seen every week.

The only think keeping many tracks open is the Television money! 

A lot of the problem is the lack of social media promotion, inflated entry prices (€15 entry into some tracks with no race card) for poor standard racing, basic facilities lacking, no free transport from the town centre to the track etc.

But with a bit of marketing savvy, local help, common sense and some good honest hard work there is definitely more potential there than what's been utilized. 

Waterford United most definitely falls into that category, they've a lovely stadium, nice training facilities and are very luck to have a huge catchment area of untapped support. 

I really hope things can sorted down there, Waterford people love their soccer.  
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 5:28am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I really hope things can sorted down there, Waterford people love their soccer.  

Honestly wish that were true GD, but unless we are talking about the Liverpool/Man U barstool variety of fans, it simply isn't true any more as regards LOI here, bar the few hardcore.  There is some kind of untapped goodwill toward the club (as long as it doesn't involve actually putting yer hand too deep in yer pocket) which would probably manifest itself to some degree if the team were some way competitive, but they have not been in nearly 5 years now, and apathy is strolling away to being 4 nil up with 80 minutes gone. 

Have to say, I really have to commend all the other LOI clubs & their fans who had collections for WUFC over the past few days, Bohs, Dundalk, Limerick (sincere apologies if I have left out other clubs who have done the same) & there is enormous ( and I will freely admit, undeserved) goodwill among other clubs toward us in the league, but unless there is some class of long term structure/plan put in place, I can't help feeling it could well be money wasted. We need 90k to sustain ourselves until the end of the season, and for fcuking what, to finish maybe 6th in a crap division that the standard is consistently dropping year after year ?

We may survive another few weeks or months, but the casual & apathetic are going to rapidly run out of interest if the same scenario is repeated in a few months time, or at the start of next season, and the hardcore are going to rapidly run out of money, regardless of their good intentions, and the aforementioned goodwill toward us won't last forever either (nor should it) . Depressing times to be a WUFC fan, realistically, I don't see a long term way out unless there is some significant investment from the local business community, and right now, that interest & potential investment seems to be non existent (unless someone better in the know can correct me on that). 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
danny78 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danny78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 10:11am
Unfortunately Waterford United are trying to sell a product that only a few hardcore fans want.9 games into season and they need €90k to see it out.Even if that money is raised it's only a matter of time before the club goes under.A league of Ireland club like Waterford United is a bottomless pit and i can't see anyone else throwing their money into that pit.
Even if the team was in the top half of the Premier division the gates wouldn't be good enough to sustain the club.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 52>
  Share Topic