Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waterford FC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 52>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 10:45pm
Next year will be a long one for a lot of the first division clubs, I think they should have at least left the teams in second and third something to play for, if Waterford run away, as seems likely, you will have seven teams with nothing to play for, there could be a few asterisks yet.
Sponsored Links

Joe Stalin View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 10:49pm
Don't get the negativity above. Waterford were dead anyway and now there's a bit of local buzz and interest - it's great and one of our LOI cities could be on the way back.

Limericks average crowd last season was 1,300 which was better than most premier clubs. We need these strong regional clubs, its only hope for the LOI
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Next year will be a long one for a lot of the first division clubs, I think they should have at least left the teams in second and third something to play for, if Waterford run away, as seems likely, you will have seven teams with nothing to play for, there could be a few asterisks yet.

Its a real kick in the teeth for the likes of Cobh who have came back from the abyss and now this season, they could have nothing to play for even if they finish in the top 2.

It could also be a long season for the likes of Limerick. If they were to end up getting relegated again i just cant see O`Sullivan bank rolling them again or Limerick people turning out in any great numbers to watch them playing Cabinteely again.

Apparently First Division clubs have proposed a Play off between the top 3. 2nd and 3rd would play off and then the winner would play 1st placed team in a one off game at their home ground.
I cant see Waterford going for that, they could romp the First Division and then lose out on promotion after a one off game.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

Don't get the negativity above. Waterford were dead anyway and now there's a bit of local buzz and interest - it's great and one of our LOI cities could be on the way back.

Limericks average crowd last season was 1,300 which was better than most premier clubs. We need these strong regional clubs, its only hope for the LOI

The point being that they don't seem interested in going about it in a sustainable manner, it smacks of Arkaga and Coughlan.

Their average in the league was 1132, using extratime.ie's figures, I would be interested to see their accounts from last year, the figures they were supposedly paying players would have needed more than that through the gates. The problem wih comparing attendances between LOI sides, as I have explained before, is pointless because you are comparing poor against awful. There are 160 thousand people in the Limerick city area, getting a 1100 along for a football match is poor.
deise View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 11:05pm
Is Paul Murphy ex Wex Youths gone already wasn't training with team last week and didn't feature tonight.
bla bla bla
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 11:15pm
Rumours are Murphy was given a rather large "loan" by Waterford before Xmas in Lue of signing and there's been no sign of him at Waterford since!!!!!' I wouldn't be too confident on Waterford running away with the div 1,Longford have signed some serious players and held onto most of last years squad...they'll be there to thereabouts
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Rumours are Murphy was given a rather large "loan" by Waterford before Xmas in Lue of signing and there's been no sign of him at Waterford since!!!!!' I wouldn't be too confident on Waterford running away with the div 1,Longford have signed some serious players and held onto most of last years squad...they'll be there to thereabouts

Probably took out a tab in his local Super Macs
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 11:56pm

The point being that they don't seem interested in going about it in a sustainable manner, it smacks of Arkaga and Coughlan.

Their average in the league was 1132, using extratime.ie's figures, I would be interested to see their accounts from last year, the figures they were supposedly paying players would have needed more than that through the gates. The problem wih comparing attendances between LOI sides, as I have explained before, is pointless because you are comparing poor against awful. There are 160 thousand people in the Limerick city area, getting a 1100 along for a football match is poor.

It's not great but not bad either when the league was a cake-walk and your oposition is Utd and Athlone. and let's be honest you haven't a scooby what they were or are paying their players
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 12:05am
The figures that were going around Cork for the lads who used to be with City were scandalous for the first division, maybe it was all bullsh*t and they were really on 50 quid a week, who knows.
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 12:20am
They probably did pay more than other first division clubs but that was fully justified in hindsight. It's a risk but the first division is such a wasteland that you either get promoted or wither and die.

I think Waterford are justified - if you want to grow the club you need to get promoted asap.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 12:33am

They probably did pay more than other first division clubs but that was fully justified in hindsight. It's a risk but the first division is such a wasteland that you either get promoted or wither and die.

I think Waterford are justified - if you want to grow the club you need to get promoted asap.

And I think clubs are better off learning to walk before they can run, it just feels like we have been here before and while it may work for a year or too it generally ends in tears. Waterford can get promoted from the first division without money grabbing journeymen and Directors of football and would probably be in a better place when they did.
deiseblue View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deiseblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 1:15am
The alternative to Mr. Power's investment was probably too awful to contemplate in that continually treading water in the graveyard of the first division would ultimately lead to the demise of Munster's most successful team which nobody wants to see happen.
As it stands we have signed a number of handy players , Nutsy & Rennie should be a good combination allied to Swindon outlying squad members getting competitive game time& most importantly there is a buzz around the club that has been missing for a number of years , better this scenario than merely drifting along in the lower reaches of this graveyard division awaiting the inevitable annual tales of doom and gloom from the club.
Longford are still favourites to go up per Paddy Power but hopefully the Blues will be challenging all the way & that the underlying support returns in tandem with continuing investment ensuring that we do not go the way of so many Munster clubs.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 10:54pm

And I think clubs are better off learning to walk before they can run, it just feels like we have been here before and while it may work for a year or too it generally ends in tears. Waterford can get promoted from the first division without money grabbing journeymen and Directors of football and would probably be in a better place when they did.

I would be of the belief you need a few older experienced heads to get out of this division, the likes of Mulcahy & if they can get him, Browne would fit the bill, I would even go further and say it would be no harm to get a 3rd fella with experience of the top division in as well. 

In 2012 the Blues finished 2nd, had Gary Dempsey playing that year, he had an odd off day, but mostly he was head & shoulders above anyone else on the pitch, did feck all running himself or anything, but between directing forwards where to run, telling defenders where to cover & spraying passes around, he could control games by himself. That year, Maguire was banging them in up front, but it was nearly a 2 man team at times, fell short at the end of the season, but had they another 1 or 2 lads with experience, it might have made the difference. 

In that sense, as Joe Stalin said, it is a jusifiable gamble. Since then, we have had teams of mainly locally based young lads, then Roddy brought a few lads from elsewhere with him when he had a go at it, ended up back with locally based lads after that experiment failed, and have finished each & every season in the bottom 3 since. Tis like any team, you need a blend of youth & experience and for all that, the only lads we have signed who would be on above average wages are Puri, McEvoy & possibly O'Sullivan. Mulcahy perhaps as well, but at 38 you wouldn't imagine he was exactly being offered fortunes elsewhere either. 

Most of the other signings have played for us before in relatively recent times, or with other D1 teams like Wexford or Cobh, no reason to suspect any of those lads are on a fortune. If yer deciding to pay 4 players out of 25 more than the D1 average and gambling that should the results be right, the gate will cover the extra cost, it would surely prove to be worth it at that point, if the wins follow. I accept if the wins don't follow, neither will the corwd & then yer looking at a different scenario, but after the past 4 seasons of utter rubbish, even gambling simply has to be a better option than finishing 3rd last & existing from game to game just for the sake of it. 

Edited by deise316 - 26 Jan 2017 at 10:54pm
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 11:09pm
Exciting times ahead for Waterford and would love to see them getting back into the top league
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 12:27am
I know for a fact that they where offering a Dublin based player €200 a week.....but he had to move down to Waterford (think the house the club offers was in tramore)and the players in the house had use of a club car to get to training.....so when u gauge it at that money,moving down there,for a player that's not local wouldn't be worth the money.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 10:40am

I know for a fact that they where offering a Dublin based player €200 a week.....but he had to move down to Waterford (think the house the club offers was in tramore)and the players in the house had use of a club car to get to training.....so when u gauge it at that money,moving down there,for a player that's not local wouldn't be worth the money.
I know for a fact that another Dublin based player is being paid around 500 quid a week and only has to come down for training once a week.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 9:30pm
Well if he gets that del sham it's a good one...the player I know didn't sign(well the deal went cold so maybe they didn't want him)but he did sign for a near neighbor div 1 side for more money and but has to train with the side in Carlow twice a week
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 9:47pm

Well if he gets that del sham it's a good one...the player I know didn't sign(well the deal went cold so maybe they didn't want him)but he did sign for a near neighbor div 1 side for more money and but has to train with the side in Carlow twice a week

Wexford trained one night a week in Carlow IT last season, Locke the new coach lived and went to college in Carlow for the past 3 or 4 years so I wouldn't be surprised if Wexford started training there more.

Even their match tonight was played in the IT. 

Wexford won't be paying players too much, with all due respect they are in massive financial bother.

Would like to see Waterford get promoted this season, the city needs a strong team competing in the top division. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 52>
  Share Topic