You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the future for shelbourne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the future for shelbourne
    Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 6:03pm
all partisan opinion aside, what's going to happen here?

while a few years ago i would gladly have wished death on shels, there is a certain amount of respect that goes for tradition, history and rivalry.

gouldy, chad, gaz, sledge.. any silver lining on the horizon?

i hear irishtown muted ? how likely is this? i honestly think rneting in the corpo area from a rival club (be it pats or bohs) will see shels in fierce difficulty going forward.

at the end of the day, pats were only a benefactor away from the same scenario a few years back, then again the club owns richer and you'd still get €15 million for it, given its proximity to town and the land owned by the club on the far side of the camac (slightly smaller than the football ground). i personally thought tallaght as owners was an option for us, before the council built it, provided rovers were not tenants. still think we'd do very wellin clondalkin/ballyer with a new ground. michaels estate is still on the backburner, but requires a certain city council to  reaslise they have a site that is worthless and a club which can regenerate a community (without profit of course)

Tom

My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Sponsored Links

SYLT Number 2 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYLT Number 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 6:13pm
I predict we will end up playing LSL.

f**k the whole thing anyway, Shels go bust and we suffer greatly. Rovers go bust and they get bailed out and a stadium in Tallaght.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 6:25pm

i think it came down to timing, shels had a period of unparelleled success in the early noughties, spent a bomb that they didnt have on players (acknowledging rovers overspent) and never secured ownership of a ground, had they gone for a greenfield site in swords - for example - and half finished it, and then asked for help, im sure fingal co co would have rowed in behind.

I'm a pats fans since the early nineties, my family had no direct connection to the club, my da brought us for the first time for a "cablelink festival of football" friendly v john aldridge's tranmere (ma being a scouser), and, imo the league of ireland hasnt seen the intensity of that rivalry, or the crowds at those games since the late 90's.

and yes rovers did well in tallaght last year, doesnt mean its ongoing. the cup and league quadrilogy in a fortnight in 1998 will always stand out for me, as anyone who was at them will say.

must have been a novelty for hoops and gypo fans last year to fight over a championship? used to be par for the course in richer and tolka

Edited by Saint Tom - 12 Mar 2010 at 6:29pm
Gouldinho09 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gouldinho09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 7:46pm
There is no long term future for Shelbourne. Im not just being pessimistic like i usually am but we are gone in a few years. There isnt a hope we are gonna go up this season. The budget is reducing every year and with us being out of Tolka next season the budget will be tiny and crowds will dwindle. Nothing lasts forever.

TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

must have been a novelty for hoops and gypo fans last year to fight over a championship? used to be par for the course in richer and tolka

well use to it ,we were runners up to them in the 80's

Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 8:23pm
every year?? yeah!

of your eleven championships, five were in the formative years of the loi (pre 1935 - pre pats :) ), two in the seventies, four since 2001. you didnt even hit on the richter scale in the 1980s, not a cup ,league cup or nada. not like you were runners up every year!
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 8:38pm
eh no tom not every year in the 80s,  thanks for the history lesson though
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 9:03pm
well when in the eighties were you runners up then? if you didnt win a trophy in the entire decade?
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 9:07pm
almost like shamrock rovers in the noughties.... (or did they win a league cup? Confused)
pats won fook all in the 80's. barren patch, but we didnt pretend to be hard luck runners up!
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 2:28am
Yeah doesn't look good at the moment tom. We're defo out of tolka at the end of this season with renting dalyer being the most likely option. Irishtown was muted as u said but we have no money so can't develop/upgrade a site. Very depressing but I don't think we'll be lsl/finished in a couple of years. If we were gonna die as a club it would have happened in 2007 IMO. However paying rent to the gypo's is not the way forward and we'll probably lose support because of it
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 3:45am
its a disgrace when you see a franchaise club in the premier with funding and been full time and a club like shels struggling
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 5:13am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

well when in the eighties were you runners up then? if you didnt win a trophy in the entire decade?

slow down here ,you said it must of been a novelty having a title challenge with Rovers i said no we had numerous run in's in the 80's  ,dont know why your banging on about winning trophies for Geek
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 5:14am
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

its a disgrace when you see a franchaise club in the premier with funding and been full time and a club like shels struggling

why ?
The Saint View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 6:06am
I would be sad to see the end of shels, as Tom said the history between our clubs brings back some great momories and also some not so good.
Most of the shels fans I know say they wont attend home games in dayler or richmond park so if this happens with the majority of supporters how can they survive?
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus
sledgehammer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sledgehammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 7:40am
Got to agree the future doesn t look bright at all without tolka. And thats not just bad for us its bad for the league, a stadium and a club that has deep history and roots in our league could disaper. Shels still attract good crowds compared to most clubs so thats people and money leaving the league too. We all no financially we fooked up but what an adventure it was. In truth it looks like the dream is over and thats very very sad!
Up there for thinking. Down there for dancing
OldBawnHoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldBawnHoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Chad Warden Chad Warden wrote:

f**k the whole thing anyway, Shels go bust and we suffer greatly. Rovers go bust and they get bailed out and a stadium in Tallaght.

Rovers go bust the fans save the club and we get relegated you t**ser. We worked our way back up in Tolka not Tallaght remember?
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Chad Warden Chad Warden wrote:

Thumbs%20Up......

Bitter much?
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 6:22am
Fook sake, what a disaster. Dallyer would be bad enough but Richmond would really affect attendances.

What ever happened to the AUL rumour??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic