You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 484485486487488 521>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

Tenet - I usually love Christopher nolans films but I recon it would be easier pass applied maths in the leaving cert without been able to count than figure out what was going on in this movie. Great action scenes but it's two and a half hours of the most complex story you will ever come across. 
. Managed to give it 90 mins last weekend, then I realised I didn't know what was going on and had no Interest in finding out, absolute sh*te 
Why no wine??!
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:11am
Would be a Nolan fan myself i loved the way he did Dunkirk into 3 separate stories with them all eventually coming together but i think ill give Tenet a miss, everybody saying its too confusing even big Nolan fans saying they didnt have a clue whats going on. Anyway watched a fair few films over the last few days

Parasite 4/5 really good movie even with the subtitles they just blended in as the film progressed, some great twists and turns and some funny parts too.

The Gentlemen 3/5 Typical Ritchie movie with some twists and turns not nearly as good as Snatch or even Lock Stock but not a bad film to pass the time.

Midway 0/5 More nonsense from Roland Emerich (Independence Day) with over reliance on GCI terrible acting, annoying main characters and a mess of a script. 

We were Soldiers 2/5 True story for the most part about the first engagement of US soldiers and the NVA in La Drang. Mel Gibson is a Lt Colonel in charge of an Air Calvary Unit sent into the La Drang Valley to secure the area which unknown to them the area is surrounded by 4000 NVA soldiers. Its ok a lot of patriotic rubbish kinda makes up for it when its seen from the NVA point of view too. Nowhere as good as Platoon or FMJ.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:18am
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Would be a Nolan fan myself i loved the way he did Dunkirk into 3 separate stories with them all eventually coming together but i think ill give Tenet a miss, everybody saying its too confusing even big Nolan fans saying they didnt have a clue whats going on. Anyway watched a fair few films over the last few days

Parasite 4/5 really good movie even with the subtitles they just blended in as the film progressed, some great twists and turns and some funny parts too.

The Gentlemen 3/5 Typical Ritchie movie with some twists and turns not nearly as good as Snatch or even Lock Stock but not a bad film to pass the time.

Midway 0/5 More nonsense from Roland Emerich (Independence Day) with over reliance on GCI terrible acting, annoying main characters and a mess of a script. 

We were Soldiers 2/5 True story for the most part about the first engagement of US soldiers and the NVA in La Drang. Mel Gibson is a Lt Colonel in charge of an Air Calvary Unit sent into the La Drang Valley to secure the area which unknown to them the area is surrounded by 4000 NVA soldiers. Its ok a lot of patriotic rubbish kinda makes up for it when its seen from the NVA point of view too. Nowhere as good as Platoon or FMJ.

I've always had an irrational soft spot for Casualties of War.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 4:54pm
Wonder Woman 1984

WW is back and she's still no craic.
There's a magical stone that if people make a wish while holding it the wish comes true, with consequences...
For an action movie there wasn't that much action really.
Pedro Pascal was good as the villian hamming it up.
With the exception of Christopher Nolans Batman triolgy, The DC universe hasn't got a patch on Marvel.
But it was good to see something new in the cinema for the first time since Tenet in August.

Ava
Jessica Chastain is an assasin and she's asking too many questions so the head of the organisation she works for wants her out of the picture.....
Straight to Netflix for this. With previous Netflix films i feel they just aren't good enough. The production value, the story. I'd be pretty annoyed if I paid to see that in the cinema.
The dark side.. And the light
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 6:00pm
Watched Ava the other night - very predictable storyline. Wouldn’t win any oscars 😂
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 6:28pm
The Queen's Gambit on Netflix is excellent. Lives up to a lot of the hype.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 11:10pm
Klaus. On Netflix. 10/10.

Absolutely beautiful 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Klaus. On Netflix. 10/10.

Absolutely beautiful 

Heard that was very good. I want to see it. 
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 7:37pm
RTE are showing Quantum of Solace now but Mississippi Burning at half two in the morning, hmmmmm. It's like a one star film and a 5 star film that someone got the times mixed up.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:44am
Heat

Maybe my favourite movie. Robert De Niro is at the top of his game while Al Pacino is as magnetic as always (always preferred the smoldering intensity of De Niro, though).

Over 3 hours long but there's no fat. Consistently watchable all the way through with loads of iconic scenes (the bank heist scene is incredible).

IMO De Niro has never looked or acted cooler than he was in this movie.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:51am
I see that old British classic Dead Mans Shoes was on the other night

Always seem to be about to go to bed and i see its on so have to sit up and watch it
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:36pm
Watched Tenet, Prisoners & Molly's Game over the Xmas
Still not 100% sure what's going on in Tenet, the other 2 were good

Some people just deserve a slap
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 2:15pm
Rewatched some oldies over Xmas -

A Wonderful Life - 10/10 please do yourself a favour next christmas and watch it

Godfather Trilogy - No doubting their quality and they have aged well but despite them being long, i felt they were too condensed still. Not enough from Brando, De Niro and Caan. The third instalment gets a hard time but it was ok apart from the acting and clear nepotism selection of Sofia Coppola as Mary. 

As Good As It Gets - Jack Nicholson on fire. Brilliant movie. Nothing much happens, it is just the brilliant acting and characters. Class Clap

The Royal Tenenbaums - Not what i was expecting until i saw that it was a Wes Anderson film. Quirky and original and worth a watch. Probably a film i would enjoy more on a second spin. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 4:30pm
The Prestige: 8/10 two magicians try to outdo each other in 19th century London, what starts off as petty back and fourth quickly gets out of control and tragic consequences at the end. Being Christopher Nolan it does have a twist at the end. Very good!

1917: 8/10 Two soldiers have to cross no mans land to get a message to a Colonel who is planning an attack but is actually sending his men into a trap laid by the Germans. Very well done, the camera work and cinematography are superb and the feeling that its done in one shot makes you feel like you are there.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 8:51pm
The prestige is a 9/10 for me. Fantastic movie
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:41pm
stardust - currently on film on 4 always liked it 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 3:42pm
No Way Out (1987)

Kevin Costner, Gene Hackman and Sean Young star in a neo-noir suspense thriller with espionage elements. Costner's navy commander hero and Hackman's secretary of defense are caught up in a sordid love triangle with Hackman's mistress, played by Sean Young. Hackman finds out about Young's duplicity and murders her in a blind rage, having been witnessed earlier at the scene by the third man who the audience can see is Costner. Hackman enlists Costner to help cover it up and find the "real killer", a suspected KGB sleeper agent. However, Hackman doesn't know that Costner was the man sleeping with Young. Meanwhile, Hackman's second-in-command, a fixer played by Will Patton, discovers a negative of a photograph Young took of Costner linking him to the scene of the murder. Therefore, a race against time ensues for Costner to find evidence linking Hackman to Young while they wait for the photo to develop so as to ensure he can defend himself against being charged with both murder and espionage.

Took a while to get going but the payoff is worth it. Incredibly suspenseful stuff with plenty of twists and turns as it builds to a crescendo. Costner is serviceable, and Hackman is brilliant as always, but the star of the show is Will Patton as Hackman's devoted and enigmatic fixer. Pay attention in the first half as there is some very clever foreshadowing at play.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 4:32pm
Carlito's Way

Knew little about this movie (which has escaped me until the weekend just gone) and i thought i was in for a Scarface type movie but far less brutal and more focused on the romantic side of a story. Pacino is brilliant in it as is Sean Penn as his headbanger lawyer. Thoroughly enjoyed this 8/10

Serpice

Another Pacino movie that escaped me until the weekend. Brilliant film about Pacino as an honest cop who is fed up with corruption inside of NYPD. Funny moments in it too as he has a zoo of animals at home and some off the wall under cover wardrobe ensembles. 8/10

Need to watch Dog Day Afternoon next and then i have 90% of Pacino watched.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 484485486487488 521>
  Share Topic