You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 445446447448449 523>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 12:47am
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

It's not even a good film, have a feeling they just wanted Oldman to win the award.

A sh*te film winning an Oscar just so a bunch of luvvies can wank each other off? That is ridiculous!
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

It's not even a good film, have a feeling they just wanted Oldman to win the award.

A sh*te film winning an Oscar just so a bunch of luvvies can wank each other off? That is ridiculous!

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Between Darkest Hour and that Thatcher bollocks a few years back, it feels like there's a real and concerted effort to rehabilitate the historical image of the British Empire

It is incredibly irritating and insulting the way people are fawning over that horrible old bigot. A cruel, nasty man who, even for his time, was a horrible racist and misogynist.
I also understand that actors are most likely to empathise with a historical character they have portrayed, but to hear Oldman eulogise that mass murderer is pretty sickening.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2018/03/10/in-winston-churchill-hollywood-rewards-a-mass-murderer/

Not much for reading up on history, so good to get a quick synopsis of the great man's achievements. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 12:00pm
Napoleon Dynamite. Can't believe I only saw it for the first time yesterday. Most random thing I have ever seen. Had me in stitches.
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 12:53pm
Went to see blockers had a good few laughs surprised me to be fair.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Napoleon Dynamite. Can't believe I only saw it for the first time yesterday. Most random thing I have ever seen. Had me in stitches.

Random is the best way to describe it.

Very over rated though
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 9:48am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Very over rated though

I thought it was sh*te when I first saw it when it came out.

Recorded it recently so will give it another watch soon.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 9:52am
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Very over rated though

+ wan

Nothing happens. Film goes nowhere. A few grins from the offbeat humour and the relationship with the brother but not sure how it's a cult classic. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 9:57am
Prisoners 

Never liked Jake Gyllenhaal but thought he was excellent in this as was Jackman playing the father of the missing girl. The movie is grim so maybe watch it when not suffering from the fear.

Good thriller with lots of suspense and oddballs. Paul Dano says little but plays the oddball character so well. 

The ending was a little bit of a letdown however. One of those where you are expected to fill in the blanks but truth be told after a grim movie i wanted the hollywood ending.

7.5/10

Edited by McG - 03 Apr 2018 at 10:00am
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:00am
Love and Mercy

Biopic of Brian Wilson. Taking parts of his early life with the Beach Boys and later in life when he is cruelly controlled by his own private doctor.

Paul Dano is excellent as the young Wilson. John Cusack is cast as the older Brian. Enjoy Cusack's work but don't think he was the best choice for the older Brian.

I love the Beach Boys music (but hate that **** Mike Love) so if you enjoy their music, you will enjoy this as there are little snippets into the making of "Pet Sounds". 

7/10
AS YOU WERE McGx

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Didn't say it was exceptional...I said a decent watch! Was there big fuss about it? It was a story that seemed to grip the US 24 years ago so no surprise at the interest with it being revisited again.
I'm gonna sound like an old man here but the standard of films out now (well the major ones you hear loads about) don't seem to be of the same calibre of 10-15 years ago. Oscar nominees are generally decent the last couple of years but not exceptional like in the past. I'm very far from a movie buff. Am I wrong here or do others agree?

Due to streaming and pirating, the big film producers are losing money so they are rehashing old films and milking any film that they can make a franchise from. Thus resulting in less indie films with a decent bidget been made. For example lots of classic films in the past wouldn't have a sniff of been made these days

So streaming thieves AngryAngry Big smile

Movie budgets and actor salaries are larger than ever before. Cinema and other revenues are bigger compared to 20 years ago. You can’t blame pirate bay for all the crap movies being made.
Unfortunately it’s the men in suits looking at the return on investment as the only reason to make the majority of movies these days. They will even change endings depending on what the feedback was on the pre screenings.
If a movie was successful 20 years ago they are happy to remake it to make some money even knowing it won’t be any better.

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:53am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Love and Mercy

Biopic of Brian Wilson. Taking parts of his early life with the Beach Boys and later in life when he is cruelly controlled by his own private doctor.

Paul Dano is excellent as the young Wilson. John Cusack is cast as the older Brian. Enjoy Cusack's work but don't think he was the best choice for the older Brian.

I love the Beach Boys music (but hate that **** Mike Love) so if you enjoy their music, you will enjoy this as there are little snippets into the making of "Pet Sounds". 

7/10

Great movie Paul Dano was fantastic as the younger Wilson, I agree Cusack just didn't seem to fit the part. Giamatti was also brilliant as Landy.

Recently finished Brian Wilson's autobiography is a must read for a beach boys fan.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:56am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Very over rated though

+ wan

Nothing happens. Film goes nowhere. A few grins from the offbeat humour and the relationship with the brother but not sure how it's a cult classic. 

That was my point, I agree nothing really happens. I remember hearing it was next great coming of age movie akin to Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller (which is my favourite film btw) but it didn't even come close.

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:57am
Went to see Black Panther over the weekend, I wouldn't be the biggest marvel fan but I enjoyed this one probably one of the better ones up their with Thor Ragnarok for me.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 11:57am

That was my point, I agree nothing really happens. I remember hearing it was next great coming of age movie akin to Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller (which is my favourite film btw) but it didn't even come close.

Does anything of note really happen in The Breakfast Club though to be fair? It's five kids spending all day in detention after all*.

I thought Napoleon Dynamite was ok when it first came out, but I watched it again about a month ago and enjoyed it a lot more than the first time I saw it. It's definitely not for everyone but that's nearly why it's become a cult classic over time.

*Partial spoiler.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Does anything of note really happen in The Breakfast Club though to be fair? It's five kids spending all day in detention after all*.

I thought Napoleon Dynamite was ok when it first came out, but I watched it again about a month ago and enjoyed it a lot more than the first time I saw it. It's definitely not for everyone but that's nearly why it's become a cult classic over time.

*Partial spoiler.

They all learn to accept each other for who they are and that despite being different they're all the same just confused kids trying to become adults.

None of that happens in Napolean Dynamite
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 12:13pm
Beat me to it Devrozex. I enjoyed The Breakfast Club, but it is unusual that it had such mass appeal given the slow moving nature of it, even if the dialogue was well written and delivered.
Napoleon Dynamite became a cult classic because the humour has mass appeal, easily accessible and, especially in the States, probably has a lot of nostalgia for large sections of the population. I think it is harder for us to grasp that over here. I enjoyed the film, especially the quirky sentimentality of it, but it isn't exactly going to be seen as a cult classic so much over here. I can't imagine, for example, that cult classics from Ireland and Britain would gain a cult following in the U.S. Maybe 'Into the West' might touch Irish-American sentimentality but nostalgic, accessible films are more culturally significant to the culture it comes from.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 1:44pm
Watched Schindlers List during the beast from the east. Never seen it.

Powerful story but felt it was grossly overrated. 

Not sure what all the fuss was about at the time (talking purely as a piece of work).
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 445446447448449 523>
  Share Topic