You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 504505506507508 521>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 9:34pm
Body Double 

I loved Dressed to Kill so I fancied another Brian De Palma eighties noir thriller. And like the former, it has an excellent score, nudity, sleaze, mystery, and even a hypnotising lengthy stakeout scene with limited/no dialogue reminiscent of the art museum scene in Dressed to Kill. The likeable Craig Wasson stars as a vulnerable struggling actor with a severe case of claustrophobia, which is central to several recurring scenes and a memorable chase scene. Kicked out of his girlfriend's house after she cheats on him, by chance he runs into great character actor Gregg Henry's character, a fellow actor, who takes pity on him and allows him to housesit at his ultramodern house while he's away on business (fun fact: same house Troy McClure's wan was modelled on in The Simpsons). Before he leaves on business Henry makes a point of showing Wasson a telescope he uses to spy on a sexy neighbour. While voyeuristically watching the neighbour one night, Wasson watches her get murdered...from here, the mystery only deepens.

Was a bit disappointed by this wan. A bit convoluted at times with an uneven tone; sometimes coming across as slapstick, which I'm not sure was the desired effect. Gets really messy in the final third of the movie, to the point I was almost wondering if I was watching the same movie. Could've done with a tighter narrative and more controlled editing. I will say that it's visibly influential and is meta before meta was a thing in Hollywood movies. I'd say watch the first 30-45 odd minutes and decide if it's worth sticking with. Others might get more mileage out of the second half than me. It's never not dull! Might give this wan another chance down the line.

Honest Thief

Liam Neeson's eponymous bank robber decides to come clean to the FBI after falling in love, offering to return all of the fortune he stole in exchange for a lenient sentence so he can purge his conscience and make a new start. Unfortunately he's double crossed by two unscrupulous FBI agents and implicated in a murder. After making his escape, he is forced on the run and must convince the FBI of his innocence while dodging the two corrupt agents forced to cover their tracks.

Generically directed, generically written, generically acted derivative actioner. Doesn't offer anything that you haven't seen before. 

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 10 Jan 2023 at 9:45pm
Sheedy11 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheedy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 9:47pm
A great film, in my opinion.

Let's not forget the debt owed to Hitchcock. A good review, but let's not put down that which went before it.

Edited by Sheedy11 - 10 Jan 2023 at 9:51pm
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 11:31am
The Batman - absolute sh*te, no real flow to the movie at all, same 2 pieces of music used the whole way through which gets very annoying, Colin Farrell is excellent in it though and completely unrecognisable, Paul Dano is very good in it too. 3/10
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 7:26pm
Empire of Light - went to see it over the weekend. Despite average enough reviews, I thought it was good. Maybe tried to tackle too many themes but dets a 7.5/10. Olivia Colman excellent as per.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 9:38am
Aftersun. A young woman thinks back on a childhood holiday with her father. It's partially told through video footage of their trip which works very well. The two leads are excellent and the dynamic between father and daughter is completely natural. It's a genuinely sad film with some very memorable moments that will stick with you (at least they have with me). 7.5/10 from me.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 5:19pm
Glass Onion keeps you guessing and has a bit of humour thrown in. 7.5/10

Takes the piss out of ****s like Elon Musk which gets a bonus half point
It would damage this forums' reputation
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 2:20pm
Banshees of Inisherin with 9 nominations, some achievement. But An Cailín Ciúin with a nomination is brililant stuff, it's a fantastic film as well I'm delighted 
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 1:34pm
Watched The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker on Netflix last night. What a mental story! Youse probably all remember him from going viral when he smashed some crazy dude in the head with a hatchet saving some woman from getting hurt as per the vid below. Turns out he was a little crazy himself and after riding the wave of fame for all of 3 months finally lost it. This looks back over them 3 months from this video until the crime he commits himself. Under an hour and a half and defo worth a watch..

Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 1:02pm
Babylon

Brad Pitt and Margo Robbie star in this film which focuses on Hollywood in the 1920's from the transition from silent movies to talkies.
From the director of whiplash and La La Land it's a long 3 hours but really enjoyed this. Some really funny characters and an opening extravagant party sequence which goes on for about half an hour.
The tone does shift to a darker disturbing feel towards the end when they visit the L.A underworld.

Surprised this wasn't nominated for any of the more popular oscar categories, only for music and costume. 
The dark side.. And the light
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 6:53pm
The Exorcist 3

Really enjoyed this wan. George C. Scott plays a detective investigating a grisly series of murders evoking religious imagery. The suspect takes credit for them despite being institutionalised at the time of the murders. He also looks uncannily like a priest who died during an exorcism fifteen years earlier in the events of the first movie. Things get stranger still as the suspect appears to be The Gemini Killer, who also died fifteen years earlier...

George C. Scott and Brad Dourif are phenomenal in this as the detective and Gemini Killer respectively and are supported by an able cast, including Scott Wilson as a shifty doctor. It's restrained with a chilling atmosphere running through the core of the movie; the scares mainly come in the form of what is suggested or happens off screen. It also has a great pace to it and never lags at any point. Heavily recommend this wan.

Oh, this is the movie with that jump scare. If you know, you know.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

Watched The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker on Netflix last night. What a mental story! Youse probably all remember him from going viral when he smashed some crazy dude in the head with a hatchet saving some woman from getting hurt as per the vid below. Turns out he was a little crazy himself and after riding the wave of fame for all of 3 months finally lost it. This looks back over them 3 months from this video until the crime he commits himself. Under an hour and a half and defo worth a watch..

Watched this the other day. Found it depressing but fascinating for the popular culture aspect of the 15 minutes of fame. 

Or the I didn't do it kid episode from The Simpsons
It would damage this forums' reputation
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 10:42am
An Cailín Ciúin- very good watch and highly recommend. Easy to see why it was nominated for an Oscar, plot is so simple yet sucks you in from the get go 
The Ham View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Ham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

An Cailín Ciúin- very good watch and highly recommend. Easy to see why it was nominated for an Oscar, plot is so simple yet sucks you in from the get go 

The best chance of an Irish Oscar, great film!!!
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 10:24am
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2022: possibly the worst film Ive seen in a long time, it starts off with 4 influencers in a tesla being stalked by a gas guzzling fella in a dodge ram with the camera panning in on the smoke coming out of the dodge, i probably should have turned it off at this stage as i could see where it was going but unfortunately ended up watching the whole film which somehow got worse and worse. Also had two Irish actors who Ive never heard before in it. 0/10

JOJO Rabbit: Really enjoyed this, great performances from Johannson and Rockwell and Waltiti as imaginary Hitler. Funny in parts and tragic in others its about a fanatical Hitler youth (Jojo) who tries to join the youth section of the army but gets rejected after he nearly blows himself up. His mother (Johannson) hides a secret from him until he eventually finds out and he begins to question his loyalty to Hitler . 8/10
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 9:22pm
Bullet train 

7/10 great fun, excellent cast, daft story 
Touts Out!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 5:57pm
re watching the long Good Friday tonight - haven’t seen it in years 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 11:59pm
just watched Philomena with Judi Dench and Steve Coogan.  Would make you cry and angry at the same time.  The mother and baby homes were really centres of evil.  Can’t imagine what it must have been like for a mother or a child that was in them and the repercussions for the rest of their life.  

Judi Dench is an outstanding actress.   
AKA pedantic kunt
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 7:49pm
Finally got round to watching dead man's shoes. Rugged film with nothing fancy, Made even better with Paddy Considine. Give it 8/10
Chips don't bounce
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 504505506507508 521>
  Share Topic