You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 501502503504505 521>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 1:50pm
The Pledge

A Reno, Nevada detective played by Jack Nicholson delays his retirement to chase a serial killer of blonde preteen girls. The killer turns into his white whale as he becomes consumed by a promise to the latest victim's mother to bring him to justice. On finally retiring to a rural Nevada setting, Nicholson takes over a gas station and moves into the lodgings behind it while developing a relationship with a troubled local woman and her young blonde child. Nicholson never believed the lead detective caught the real murderer - a mentally challenged Native American man, assumed to be the killer, was coached into a confession and was incarcerated when other similar murders were committed. Meanwhile Nicholson continues to follow leads and sees potential threats all around him.

Sean Penn is great at directing these kind of Americana movies with these kind of situations (The Indian Runner and The Crossing Guard are other good ones), and he assembled a great ensemble cast for this one filled with recognisable actors, highly memorable cameos (Mickey Rourke in a role that got his career back on track) and incredible performances; this is one of Nicholson's best roles IMO, a tour de force performance that has your eyes glued to the screen for the duration. 

It's not perfect. It's a bit meandering and rudderless for a solid chunk through the middle, it's heavy-handed and in need of a defter touch in others, and some of the story threads going through it do stretch belief at times, but I stayed away from my phone for the full two hours and my patience was rewarded with a rather brave and ballsy ending.

Watch it on Netflix. Now!

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 08 Nov 2022 at 2:02pm
Patman Scoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

The Pledge

A Reno, Nevada detective played by Jack Nicholson delays his retirement to chase a serial killer of blonde preteen girls. The killer turns into his white whale as he becomes consumed by a promise to the latest victim's mother to bring him to justice. On finally retiring to a rural Nevada setting, Nicholson takes over a gas station and moves into the lodgings behind it while developing a relationship with a troubled local woman and her young blonde child. Nicholson never believed the lead detective caught the real murderer - a mentally challenged Native American man, assumed to be the killer, was coached into a confession and was incarcerated when other similar murders were committed. Meanwhile Nicholson continues to follow leads and sees potential threats all around him.

Sean Penn is great at directing these kind of Americana movies with these kind of situations (The Indian Runner and The Crossing Guard are other good ones), and he assembled a great ensemble cast for this one filled with recognisable actors, highly memorable cameos (Mickey Rourke in a role that got his career back on track) and incredible performances; this is one of Nicholson's best roles IMO, a tour de force performance that has your eyes glued to the screen for the duration. 

It's not perfect. It's a bit meandering and rudderless for a solid chunk through the middle, it's heavy-handed and in need of a defter touch in others, and some of the story threads going through it do stretch belief at times, but I stayed away from my phone for the full two hours and my patience was rewarded with a rather brave and ballsy ending.

The f**king ending Confused
Why no wine??!
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Patman Scoop Patman Scoop wrote:

The Pledge

Exactly LOL
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 9:49am

The Pledge

Saw this years ago. The Ending occasionally, randomly pops into my head every now and again. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

The Pledge

Exactly LOL

It was a strange one alright! 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 10:46am
All Quiet on the Western Front on Netflix. Harrowing watch, 10/10
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 11:05am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

I've been meaning to watch this. I might give it a go later.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 11:24am

You weren't wrong with 'harrowing". It gets 7.5/10 from me.
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 12:09pm

8/10 Pretty solid film and some scenes that were fairly graphic alright. It was a horrific war and when they say it was a human slaughter house they were not wrong.  Always enjoyed movies from a German point of view, Stalingrad (1993) and Downfall are stand out ones.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Genie99 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 5:24pm
i actually loved wakanda forever. no longer felt tokenizing and heart genuine depth and heart.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 10:25am
Glengarry Glen Ross

One of my favourite movies. Every performance is off the charts, right down to the cameo by that actor you see in everything but probably don't know the name of, Bruce Altman. Jack Lemmon as desperate washed up salesman, Shelley "The Machine" Levene is one of my favourite movie characters, and performances, of all time. Edging out Al Pacino who's also excellent as the unscrupulous Ricky Roma. In summation, Alec Baldwin has been sent by Mitch and Murray to "motivate" a team of real estate salesmen. They're all given two leads. First place on the leaderboard by the month's end wins a Cadillac El Dorado; second place a set of steak knives; third place means you're fired.

It takes brass balls to sell real estate.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 1:01am

Glengarry Glen Ross

One of my favourite movies. Every performance is off the charts, right down to the cameo by that actor you see in everything but probably don't know the name of, Bruce Altman. Jack Lemmon as desperate washed up salesman, Shelley "The Machine" Levene is one of my favourite movie characters, and performances, of all time. Edging out Al Pacino who's also excellent as the unscrupulous Ricky Roma. In summation, Alec Baldwin has been sent by Mitch and Murray to "motivate" a team of real estate salesmen. They're all given two leads. First place on the leaderboard by the month's end wins a Cadillac El Dorado; second place a set of steak knives; third place means you're fired.

It takes brass balls to sell real estate.
Great show. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 12:52pm
Midsommar

Unsettling movie reminiscent of The Wicker Man in subject matter. About an hour too long, several scenes are needlessly protracted and it's full of unnecessary camera techniques, lofty credit sequences and other directorial flourishes from someone who has clearly bought into his hype and likes the smell of his own farts. Deeply pretentious and self-indulgent, nonetheless it's an interesting treatise on grief, acceptance and the danger of indoctrination, such as the one at the center of this movie celebrating a summer solstice among a pagan cult in Sweden, which our main character was lured to with her friends under false pretences. Florence Pugh is outstanding, and our Jack Reynor is also impressive, especially in the latter stages as he believably portrays the effects of a bad acid trip/drugging. I'd say it's worth sticking with for its uncanny valley vibes, layered suspense and unsettling aesthetic. But it's not going to be for everyone. 

Florence Pugh's arse BTW. Chef's kiss 😘. Could watch her walk around in trackies or sweats all day. That girl thicc. 

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 29 Nov 2022 at 12:53pm
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Klaus. On Netflix. 10/10.

Absolutely beautiful 

This has become an annual staple. Love it 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 11:47pm

Klaus. On Netflix. 10/10.

Absolutely beautiful 

This has become an annual staple. Love it 

You talking to yourself?LOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 12:13am
Quoting myself from a couple of years back fourth year in a row watching this one and yet to get old. A proper Christmas staple Clap
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 7:36pm
I watched A Walk Among the Tombstones the other night expecting another diversionary Liam Neeson action movie. I was pleasantly surprised! Neeson's grizzled ex-cop private investigator is paid by a drug dealer to find the people who tortured and killed his wife after reneging on a deal to release her in exchange for a large ransom. The killings continue and appear to be targeting people connected to drug dealers. As mentioned, I was expecting guns and gangsters but it's more of a disturbing neo-noir movie with a gumshoe, similar to Seven in its grim characterization and setting. New York is one of the characters in this movie, and it makes full use of its gritty setting. Neeson's back story as an alcoholic detective haunted by an accidental killing is well-written in the form of flashbacks, and scenes in AA are neatly interwoven into the narrative including one highly memorable shootout scene.

Also has several scenes throughout the movie that had me chuckling, but not so much that it detracted from the cat & mouse tension and serious subject matter.

Case in point below. 👇

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 14 Dec 2022 at 8:08pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 10:03pm
Good Will Hunting 

I can't believe Affleck and Damon wrote this in their early-twenties. Beautiful movie. Damon and Williams are so well-written and their characters lived in. Great chemistry between the two, highly memorable dialogue and a story you don't want to end.

Seize the Day

Little known Robin Williams movie from the eighties that originally aired on HBO. I thought I'd hate it after watching the first several minutes, looked too arthouse and pretentious, but I gave it a chance and my perseverance was rewarded. Williams stars as a middle-aged Jewish man down on his luck and longing for acceptance from his demanding, and distant, father. Grim watch. Jerry Stiller is excellent in this as a con man who ingratiates himself with Williams and takes advantage of his desperation to make something of himself.

The Next Three Days

Dacent thriller starring Russell Crowe as a husband and father patiently scheming to bust his wife out of prison after she was wrongfully convicted of murdering her boss. Long but worth sticking with.

Run All Night

Generically directed and generically written action movie starring Liam Neeson as a hitman going on the run with his estranged son after his son was implicated in the murder of Neeson's crime family boss, played by Ed Harris. Stick with the other Neeson movie I reviewed in the previous post. ^
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 501502503504505 521>
  Share Topic