You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 487488489490491 521>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 5:50pm
Just to clarify so I don't get asked to check in to the thick thread, I was being sarcastic.Thumbs Up
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 10:39pm
Brazil (1985) by Terry Gilliam

A bit too esoteric for my liking, and at 143 minutes in length, it's overlong - I'd say 30 minutes of its running time could've been excised and the movie wouldn't suffer for it - but it's an interesting comment on overbearing bureaucracy and tyranny nonetheless.

Jonathan Pryce is terrific in the leading role and supported by a, largely, able cast, and the cinematography is nice to look at.

Robert De Niro had a (too) brief supporting role that seemed underwritten considering the character's importance to the main plot, which is odd considering the aforementioned bloated running time.

I was honestly bored stiff at times, but the ending stuck the landing and redeemed it a good bit in my eyes, tying in nicely to the main character's earlier dream sequences.

It's definitely a unique film thematically and I'd just about give it a recommendation. I have a feeling it would be better on a rewatch when I can understand it a bit better.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 20 May 2021 at 10:53pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 10:51pm
Baggio: The Divine Ponytail 1/10

Despite Baggio being a phenomenal player the film was woeful. It basically glosses over a lot of his career.

Starts when he moves to Fiorentina getting injured before he goes, him getting into Buddhism and then fast forward to the 94 WC. No footage of him being in McGraths pocket, though it does highlight his performances there after and of course his penalty miss.

Then was forward to his move to Brescia and looking to go to 2002 WC which he doesn't cue end.

Just to add i wasn't expecting it to be any good 

Edited by lassassinblanc - 30 May 2021 at 10:54pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 10:45am
Nobody as reviewed by somebody previously.

Good craic. Little or no character development, just straight into action. 7/10
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

TRV View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 3:14am
[QUOTE=McG]Nobody as reviewed by somebody previously.

Good craic. Little or no character development, just straight into action. 7/10

Best of the year,  a piss take of John wick, anyone and everyone would like it

Edited by TRV - 06 Jun 2021 at 3:15am
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Baggio: The Divine Ponytail 1/10

Despite Baggio being a phenomenal player the film was woeful. It basically glosses over a lot of his career.

Starts when he moves to Fiorentina getting injured before he goes, him getting into Buddhism and then fast forward to the 94 WC. No footage of him being in McGraths pocket, though it does highlight his performances there after and of course his penalty miss.

Then was forward to his move to Brescia and looking to go to 2002 WC which he doesn't cue end.

Just to add i wasn't expecting it to be any good 

Not surprising, the trailer was enough for me to want to gouge out my eyes...

<insert witty comment>
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 12:12pm
Jerry Seinfeld: Comedian

Filmed shortly after the end of Seinfeld, the old master Seinfeld's return to the comedy circuit is contrasted with the rise of young up-and-comer Orny Adams. Seinfeld's self-doubt, characterised by a memorable scene where he stumbles and forgets his bit on stage, is gradually lifted as he starts developing his groove. It's interesting to hear his thoughts and follow his process, but the real star of the show is Orny Adams, remarkable in his David Brent-like unflappable self-assurance, lack of self-awareness, and complete inability to read a room. Character flaws summed up in a scene, where shortly after he is taken on as a client by Seinfeld's superagent George Shapiro, he calls fellow agent, and Shapiro's friend, Barry Katz a "cocksucker" for imparting friendly and helpful advice about his impatience re: career and financial opportunities. Katz contrasts Steven Wright's career to Orny Adams burgeoning career as a means of encouragement, mentioning Wright's academy award, to which Adams replies, "Where is Steven Wright now?" 20 years later people are probably asking the same thing about Adams after this intriguing example of self-sabotage.

After watching this, I can't help thinking that Seinfeld and his people purposely chose Adams to be in this documentary so he would look better by every metric in comparison. The film seems to be edited in a way that makes Adams look almost villainous; he is presented as impossible to identify with, whereas Seinfeld is zen-like and sage.

Only 80 minutes long. I think I watched it on Netflix. Either that or Amazon Prime. Good to watch, even if only in the background. Even if you're not into comedy, it's a great character piece and window into Freudian human behaviour.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 2:18pm
Only the animals - French film - very good film.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 2:44pm
The comeback trail

Who would have thought a film with De Niro, Morgan Freeman and Tommy Lee Jones could be so sh*t.
A struggling movie producer discovers he can claim the insurance if the star of the film dies while filming, so they set out ways to kill off their leading man.
The best bits were in the trailer and there were no real laughs in this.

Nobody
Saw this in the cinema last week. Think the plot has been mentioned on here before, but it was grand. Nothing amazing about this but it was just good to get out to the cinema.
Produced by the same people as John Wick but nowhere near as good. Similarities to the equalizer with Denzel Washington with the scene that was reminiscant to an audult Home Alone.
Won't remeber it by this time next year. 
The dark side.. And the light
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 4:22pm
I see the trailer for The Many Saints of Newark got released, thought it was Gandolfini himself in some of the clips. Lets hope it lives up to the hype. 
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

The comeback trail

Who would have thought a film with De Niro, Morgan Freeman and Tommy Lee Jones could be so sh*t.
A struggling movie producer discovers he can claim the insurance if the star of the film dies while filming, so they set out ways to kill off their leading man.
The best bits were in the trailer and there were no real laughs in this.

Yeah was an absolute let down 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

I see the trailer for The Many Saints of Newark got released, thought it was Gandolfini himself in some of the clips. Lets hope it lives up to the hype. 

I'm sad to say that his son inherited none of his father's acting ability. He was atrocious in The Deuce and he doesn't look like he's improved in the meantime going by the trailer.

Awkward, stilted delivery. Rehearsed facial expressions. The kid's not a natural at all.

One word: nepotism.

The only positive I can muster is that he shares a strong resemblance to his father but, even then, he has little or no physical screen presence.

It's laughable looking at him and thinking he could be a strong-armer for the mafia.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 2:35pm
Mortal Kombat- watched the new MK movie last night 7/10

If your a fan of the games and franchise you'll like imo.

Some great fight scene, the plot is a little bit overthought and perhaps isn't it's strongest point but does keep elements of the original games plot i.e. a  fighting tournament between two realms for control, but with the side story of the Sub Zero/Scorpion rivalry, the main character Cole created for the movie is the descendant of Scorpion and a prophecy foretells that his bloodline would be the key to stopping the Outworld.

Along the way Cole meets up with Jax and Sonya who are investigating the origins of a dragon marking (a marking of those chosen to take part it Mortal Kombat).

Shang Tsung (who I think is very underused compared to the 95 film) sends of assassins to kill anyone with the marker before any tournament can take place hence giving outworld the advantage, chaos ensues. 

The character of Kano played by some Aussie guy who was in home and away or neighbours is probably the highlight of the film as he brings a good bit of humour to it.

As said if your a fan of the franchise you'll enjoy it. Though I think the 95 film probably stayed truer to the original games plot.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Jerry Seinfeld: Comedian

Filmed shortly after the end of Seinfeld, the old master Seinfeld's return to the comedy circuit is contrasted with the rise of young up-and-comer Orny Adams. Seinfeld's self-doubt, characterised by a memorable scene where he stumbles and forgets his bit on stage, is gradually lifted as he starts developing his groove. It's interesting to hear his thoughts and follow his process, but the real star of the show is Orny Adams, remarkable in his David Brent-like unflappable self-assurance, lack of self-awareness, and complete inability to read a room. Character flaws summed up in a scene, where shortly after he is taken on as a client by Seinfeld's superagent George Shapiro, he calls fellow agent, and Shapiro's friend, Barry Katz a "cocksucker" for imparting friendly and helpful advice about his impatience re: career and financial opportunities. Katz contrasts Steven Wright's career to Orny Adams burgeoning career as a means of encouragement, mentioning Wright's academy award, to which Adams replies, "Where is Steven Wright now?" 20 years later people are probably asking the same thing about Adams after this intriguing example of self-sabotage.

After watching this, I can't help thinking that Seinfeld and his people purposely chose Adams to be in this documentary so he would look better by every metric in comparison. The film seems to be edited in a way that makes Adams look almost villainous; he is presented as impossible to identify with, whereas Seinfeld is zen-like and sage.

Only 80 minutes long. I think I watched it on Netflix. Either that or Amazon Prime. Good to watch, even if only in the background. Even if you're not into comedy, it's a great character piece and window into Freudian human behaviour.

Watched this the other day based off this review, agree 100% with it, wouldn't say I've ever been a big Seinfeld fan but he comes across likeable also made me want to plan a trip to New York and visit a few of those Comedy clubs. Adams as you say comes across a bit of an arsehole and was definitely chosen to be a contrast to Seinfeld.

The last part with Cosby is a little soured given his recent convictions but it's clear to see he was at the time well respected and idolised by comedians Seinfeld included.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 11:48am
Bill and Ted Face The Music.

Was a huge fan of the first two movies, and quite frankly, this one didnt disappoint. I particularly liked how they dealt with the idea that they saw themselves as one individual, which was something that was obvious in the original movies. Plenty of references to the original movies too. Not exactly a retcon of the outcome in Bogus Journey, but clearly the song (covered over by Kiss' 'God Gave Rock and Roll II) at the end was not all it was cracked up to be in terms of uniting the planets and galaxies. Either way, they were movies that required massive suspensions of reality, were highly referential, and very enjoyable. It was nice to feel the nostalgia almost thirty years on.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 8:20pm
The Talented Mr. Ripley - Wasnt what i had expected but enjoyed this. Didnt read anything about it before hitting play but excellent cast, Damon excellent as always. Just a little too long. An intellectual thriller type movie. 7.5/10

Ford v Ferrari/Le Mans 24 - Another Matt Damon movie. Christian Bale steals the show as the headbanger, eccentric racing driver who upsets everyone in his path. Recommend this true story. Great chemistry between the two leads. 8/10

Uncut Gems - Adam Sandler breaking from his usual goofy character and playing the fast talking jeweller. I liked it but ffs, you'd need a fair few panadol after it. Dont know if it's just me or an age thing but it was a serious racket right the way through. 7/10

Bohemian Rhapsody - Not a big Queen fan but new found appreciation having seen this. Obviously not 100% true to the real story but really enjoyable movie. 8/10
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 10:27pm
Uncut gems is ridiculously intense alright. ****ish loud 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 1:35am
The Boondock Saints is a pretty well regarded film but I can't figure out why. I tried to watch it a couple of years ago but the Irish accents were so incredibly f**king bad that I stopped it after half an hour. I tried it again tonight and I still don't get the positive reviews. Even outside of the cliched storyline, it contains worse Irish accents than Tom Cruise in Far and Away and Titus Welliver in Sons of Anarchy. Awful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 487488489490491 521>
  Share Topic