You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 481482483484485 521>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 4:33pm
Cape Fear

The 1991 remake by Scorsese.
Robert De Nero has just been released from prison and he's seeking revenge from the lawyer that was supposed to keep him out of prison.
Maybe the original from the 60's was better as I wasn't mad about it. 
There was a weird camera trick that the film negative would change colour. Maybe it was also in the original and new for its time, but just seemed weird.
Even though I had never seen this film it felt like I had from watching the episode from the Simpsons.

Close Encounters of the third kind
People in a small town discover unidentified sightings and then become obsessed with seeing them again and finding out what they are.
In this day and age though it comes across that Richard Dreyfuss is having a mental breakdown. He actually asks his wife for a hug so he can feel comfort and she refuses as she can't see him like that, while his kids are shouting 'cry baby' at him.
Maybe that's the reason he decides to leave earth and ditch the family.
I just didn't get this film, or what the moral of it was.

The dark side.. And the light
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 5:07pm
If you're a big De Niro fan, you have to watch The King of Comedy. It's one of his best performances and so against type. Joker borrowed a lot from it with the atmosphere and characterisation of Arthur Fleck.

Also starring De Niro, Angel Heart is excellent film noir with atmosphere dripping from every scene. De Niro is creepy and understated as the mysterious "Louis Cyphre" (the hint is in the name). Back when Mickey Rourke looked like he could take on the world.

Cop Land is another underrated De Niro flick with an all star cast featuring the likes of Harvey Keitel, Robert Patrick and Ray Liotta. Amazingly, Sylvester Stallone of all people manages to act them all off the screen with one of his best performances. I'd describe it as a western filled with corrupt cops and Stallone as the lone wolf protagonist, but not in the Rambo sense.

The Score is yet another underappreciated De Niro movie starring Bobby as an aging thief who is talked into going on one last score by Marlon Brando in one of his last roles. Edward Norton stars as the inside man, posing as a mentally handicapped janitor (a role he was born for) in the customs house they plan on robbing. Montreal makes for a pleasant setting and the movie moves along at a brisk pace. I can always throw on this movie and enjoy it.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

If you're a big De Niro fan, you have to watch The King of Comedy. It's one of his best performances and so against type. Joker borrowed a lot from it with the atmosphere and characterisation of Arthur Fleck.

Also starring De Niro, Angel Heart is excellent film noir with atmosphere dripping from every scene. De Niro is creepy and understated as the mysterious "Louis Cyphre" (the hint is in the name). Back when Mickey Rourke looked like he could take on the world.

Cop Land is another underrated De Niro flick with an all star cast featuring the likes of Harvey Keitel, Robert Patrick and Ray Liotta. Amazingly, Sylvester Stallone of all people manages to act them all off the screen with one of his best performances. I'd describe it as a western filled with corrupt cops and Stallone as the lone wolf protagonist, but not in the Rambo sense.

The Score is yet another underappreciated De Niro movie starring Bobby as an aging thief who is talked into going on one last score by Marlon Brando in one of his last roles. Edward Norton stars as the inside man, posing as a mentally handicapped janitor (a role he was born for) in the customs house they plan on robbing. Montreal makes for a pleasant setting and the movie moves along at a brisk pace. I can always throw on this movie and enjoy it.

The King of Comedy is a terrific movie.

Well ahead of its time in its critique of celebrity culture and fandom. And so underrated.

The others you reference ain't half bad either.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 15 Sep 2020 at 6:24pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 12:33pm
Natural Born Killers

It hammers home its message with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Terrible movie that needed a defter flair that someone like Oliver Stone could not provide. Robert Downey Jr. is a little too at home with the hamming it up and overacting [probably excited at being in a big boy movie] and his Aussie accent and mannerisms are excruciating to listen to. Tom Sizemore and Tommy Lee Jones characters are written similarly; the movie desperately needed to balance the satire with solemnity, but as it is, its surrealness makes it something that can only be appreciated if you're dropping acid while you're watching it.

Still, its something everyone should watch at least once for the sheer spectacle of it and because of its cultural importance. It has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard in a movie, a good cast, and nice cinematography with all kinds of stylistic flourishes, so students of film will find something to appreciate in it.

Fight Club is much more effective in its satire and subversion, though.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 12:13pm
Rewatch 

American History X - A very powerful film. Norton with an incredible performance as an intelligent white supremacist who cops on to himself. Visually stunning too with the past events in black and white. 

Last watched it about 20 years ago. Hard to believe it is 22 years old. Mad. Holds up very well. 

Felt it needed another 15-20 mins to cement the story.

Edited by McG - 28 Sep 2020 at 12:20pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 12:21pm
I watched it again last year and it really is great. The big lad from 'My Name is Earl' is great in it.

drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:01pm
only watched it last week. Great film and you are right, coukd have done with another 30 minutes. Gonna give goodfellas a look later, its been awhile.

Edited by drog addict - 28 Sep 2020 at 7:25pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

only watched it last week. Great film and you are right, coukd have done with another 30 minutes. Gonna give goodfellas a look later, its been awhile.

Still brilliant! I watched it during lockdown.Clap
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:49pm

Tip it’s nothing to do with pizza’s 
AKA pedantic kunt
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Rewatch 

American History X - A very powerful film. Norton with an incredible performance as an intelligent white supremacist who cops on to himself. Visually stunning too with the past events in black and white. 

Last watched it about 20 years ago. Hard to believe it is 22 years old. Mad. Holds up very well. 

I love this film. The scene at the dinner table with the moms boyfriend is so good. But lots of great scenes, one that is a bit hard to watch!

At the time, Norton was my favourite actor after this and Fight Club came out near enough each other, not too far off Primal Fear. He really is so good Norton, especially around that time
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Tip it’s nothing to do with pizza’s 
I don't know about that,  there was quite a few toppings. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:04am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Rewatch 

I love this film. The scene at the dinner table with the moms boyfriend is so good. But lots of great scenes, one that is a bit hard to watch!

At the time, Norton was my favourite actor after this and Fight Club came out near enough each other, not too far off Primal Fear. He really is so good Norton, especially around that time

He was outstanding in Primal Fear (also on Netflix for those that are yet to see). Hard to believe it was his very first movie. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:05am
I was always under the impression that 'Primal Fear' was dreadful? I might give it a go then.
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:34am
Apart from Richard Gere, Primal Fear is excellent
Also The Score with him, De Niro and Brando is very under rated
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:38am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I was always under the impression that 'Primal Fear' was dreadful? I might give it a go then.

Nah, i rate it. For once it's not one of those predictable court room movies. I liked Gere in this movie too. Plays the arrogant, slick lawyer well. Plus he's dreamy LOL
AS YOU WERE McGx

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 11:52pm
The trial of the Chicago 7. 10/10
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 1:42am
I thought it was good alright, but not quite as good as the reviews are saying. 7/10 for me.
Forever 10 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forever 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 9:37am
竖起大拇指
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 481482483484485 521>
  Share Topic