You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 480481482483484 521>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 12:19pm
Jimmy's Hall was great! Again it was a story that deserved telling and was told well. I really enjoyed it.
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

'Michael Collins' is littered with historical inaccuracies but it's an entertaining enough film. Julia Roberts' attempt at some description of an Oirish accent is pretty comical but is just one of many hilarious attempts by American actors over the years.

I think it was sadly a case of they had to cast a big American star in order to attract the punters over there.

Aye, quite a few errors in the film indeed. Please feel free to correct me if any of this is wrong !
  • The surrender at the conclusion of the Easter Rising takes place in the wrong location. 
  • Dublin Met. Detective Ned Broy was not brutally tortured to death for aiding the IRA but survived the War of Independence, became Ireland's top copper and lived to an advanced age.
  • The talks over the Anglo-Irish Treaty and Collins interactions with Lloyd George, Winston Churchill and Lord Birkenhead are not even portrayed and summarily dealt with in a few lines of dialogue post-event. 
  • Hazel Lavery (who some historians think Collins may have had an affair with in London) is not portrayed nor her existence even hinted at.
  • Harry Boland was fatally wounded in a shootout at a hotel rather than being being shot in the Liffey as is portrayed in the film. 
  • I gather that quite a few historians and the descendants of Éamon de Valera and Cathal Brugha very strongly objected to their decidedly negative portrayal in the film ? 
  • Also, wasn't Brugha supposed to have had an English accent ?
What else was wrong with it ?

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Jimmy's Hall was great! Again it was a story that deserved telling and was told well. I really enjoyed it.

Jim Norton was excellent in his role as the deeply conservative priest.

Edited by ErsatzThistle - 07 Aug 2020 at 1:42pm
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 11:41am
"Project Power" - new film on netflix - some of the CGI was impressive, but not much to it. Paperthin plot and fairly generic characters. Passed an hour or so. 

"The Nightingale" - Saw someone recommend it on here, very good, probably could have cut about 20 minutes at the end that dragged a bit. 
Touts Out!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 7:49pm
Going to stick on Kingpin tonight, love that film and Vanessa Angel is f**king incredible in it too.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 7:53pm
Time to pay the rent 👅
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 8:50pm
Introduced A Bronx Tale to the kids last nightStar
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Introduced A Bronx Tale to the kids last nightStar

Good aul movie.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 3:34pm
Tenet Film Times and Info | SHOWCASE

New Christopher Nolan film which was released last week. If you think Inception was a head wrecker this is a whole new level.
A brief storyline was that they are trying to stop a Russian Oligarch from starting WW3.
Then it gets into reversal of time and backwards stuff and just mental. Back to the future was not mentioned once.
I think I got it bits of it, will need to watch again to fully understand.
No sure if it's one of those films that is so confusing and complex that viewers think it's amazing. Nolans work is generally different but people might think it's w*nky.

Moves away from Hans Zimmer, and is more electro which is loud and non stop.
Be interesting to hear other peoples take on this if they get out to the cinema.  
The dark side.. And the light
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 4:19pm
Watched a few older things which I've never seen before.

Hard Eight. 
Old guy takes young guy under his wing and teaches him how to cheat the system in Las Vegas.
Paul Thomas Anderson is the director and I find him hit and miss, this is more in the middle. Good acting from the cast but the story just doesn't move on for me. 
Plus I had to keep stopping it because the dog was barking at everything and kept interrupting it.

Jerry Maguire
Looks pretty old now. The other half loves Almost Famous and it's the same director so I gave in.
My life isn't any better by seeing this. 

True Romance
You would not think that is Gary Oldman with the rasta dreadlocks.
Stuff that you would not getting away with saying nowadays hasn't aged too well. The scene with Hopper and Walken is 2 great actors but sl*gging his grandmother for having sex with a black man and basically calling him black.
Bit far fetched how they fall madly in love after 1 night.

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 4:33pm
Plan to try see Tenet this weekend

Your synopsis seems pretty much what I expect, i.e. another Nolan mindbender

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 4:36pm
Recently rewatched Being John Malkovich  hadn't seen it in years

An absolute mad idea for a film but done brilliantly. 
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 5:54pm
Nolan loves basing his films around time and all of his films you have to watch twice as you will defiantly miss something the first time (pardon the pun). I loved Dunkirk but many people didn't, the first time i watched it i didn't think it was that good but the second time i watched it i thought it was his best film. This looks like you might have to watch it a few times to get what's going on.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Patman Scoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

A while back I recommended a movie called The Nightingale. It's now up on Netflix. It's an Irish/Australian production about an Irish woman that sets out for revenge against some british soldiers in what I'd guess is the late 1800's. There are some moments in it that are difficult to watch, but it's a really excellent film.

f**k me that first half hour is bleak Cry
Why no wine??!
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Patman Scoop Patman Scoop wrote:

Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

A while back I recommended a movie called The Nightingale. It's now up on Netflix. It's an Irish/Australian production about an Irish woman that sets out for revenge against some british soldiers in what I'd guess is the late 1800's. There are some moments in it that are difficult to watch, but it's a really excellent film.

f**k me that first half hour is bleak Cry

To put it mildly.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Tenet Film Times and Info | SHOWCASE

New Christopher Nolan film which was released last week. If you think Inception was a head wrecker this is a whole new level.
A brief storyline was that they are trying to stop a Russian Oligarch from starting WW3.
Then it gets into reversal of time and backwards stuff and just mental. Back to the future was not mentioned once.
No sure if it's one of those films that is so confusing and complex that viewers think it's amazing. Nolans work is generally different but people might think it's w*nky.

Be interesting to hear other peoples take on this if they get out to the cinema.  

Went to see IT today, agree with your assessment I think I got to a point where I knew what was going on then the whole reversing time thing happened and I was like nope, I'm not going to try I'm just going to enjoy the amazing visual feast of it. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 6:45pm
Really want to try and go and see 'Les Misérables' this week. Great reviews and sounds an interesting concept.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 3:36pm

Saw this at the weekend and left with a similar impression. It definitely requires more than one viewing and I was almost wondering if it was intentionally so convoluted to draw repeat viewers in to try and get their heads around it. The sound mixing was a bit of a disaster - especially when they had the masks on it was almost impossible to hear what they were saying - and again given all the money and effort that went into it I'm left wondering was that part of the intentional confusion alluded to above. It's a fine action film nonetheless but just not sure how conducive the backwards craic was to that.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Saw this at the weekend and left with a similar impression. It definitely requires more than one viewing and I was almost wondering if it was intentionally so convoluted to draw repeat viewers in to try and get their heads around it. The sound mixing was a bit of a disaster - especially when they had the masks on it was almost impossible to hear what they were saying - and again given all the money and effort that went into it I'm left wondering was that part of the intentional confusion alluded to above. It's a fine action film nonetheless but just not sure how conducive the backwards craic was to that.

I kind of had a feeling that was intentional. In the Dark Knight Rises in the test screenings there were complaints that they couldn't hear Bane properly so Tom Hardy had to dub over all his lines.
Don't think Nolan would let something like that slip. 
On RTE that it's made €100m at the box office. It could yet be a flop and not make the money back.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 480481482483484 521>
  Share Topic