You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 443444445446447 521>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 1:56pm
Best supporting actress award was well deserved, she was excellent in I, Tonya.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Best supporting actress award was well deserved, she was excellent in I, Tonya.

Agreed and I thought Rockwell was deserving of his award.
The ceremony itself is complete crap.
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 4:13pm
Between Darkest Hour and that Thatcher bollocks a few years back, it feels like there's a real and concerted effort to rehabilitate the historical image of the British Empire
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Between Darkest Hour and that Thatcher bollocks a few years back, it feels like there's a real and concerted effort to rehabilitate the historical image of the British Empire
It is incredibly irritating and insulting the way people are fawning over that horrible old bigot. A cruel, nasty man who, even for his time, was a horrible racist and misogynist.
I also understand that actors are most likely to empathise with a historical character they have portrayed, but to hear Oldman eulogise that mass murderer is pretty sickening.
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Watched Three Bilboards over the weekend good film 4/5

Thoroughly enjoyed it too. Bit of a black comedy.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

It's no Blazing Saddles though
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 10:18pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

One of the best musical intros to a film that came out 35 years ago. Love the 80s Clap

About the only decent thing about the movie, utter dog sh*t it is. It makes dimwits all time great movies lists 

I agree with Bobbles, pretty sh*t film and way way waaaay over rated, Pacino is very good in it though.
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 11:18pm
Never saw so much liberal nonsense like the oscars, feminism and race the main theme of the night. The best film seems to have too many white males and not enough women.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

mike74 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:53am
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Some excellent performances and a reasonably good story but felt it was missing something.. Could have had a better ending.. Agree on 4/5 and was far better than best picture winner the shape of water - which although better than I though it would be was still only 3.5/5..

Thought Saoirse Ronan did a smashing job in Ladybird - she really is an excellent performer..

Agree on the above re Churchill.. I really hate British and American movies these days that have anything to do with their military, war or war "hero's" .. Totally blinkered view and usually pure lies...

Edited by mike74 - 06 Mar 2018 at 12:55am
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:56am
Went to see I Tonya there...Decent watch. 7.5/10
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 8:47am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Went to see I Tonya there...Decent watch. 7.5/10

I don’t see what all the fuss is about it tbh.

With films like that getting such acclaim it’s clear that tv is bossing it over film at the minute. And yeah, the Oscars is a heap of liberal nonsense. Some of these people genuinely think they are changing the world by acting. Weirdos !!
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:31pm
Didn't say it was exceptional...I said a decent watch! Was there big fuss about it? It was a story that seemed to grip the US 24 years ago so no surprise at the interest with it being revisited again.
I'm gonna sound like an old man here but the standard of films out now (well the major ones you hear loads about) don't seem to be of the same calibre of 10-15 years ago. Oscar nominees are generally decent the last couple of years but not exceptional like in the past. I'm very far from a movie buff. Am I wrong here or do others agree?
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It is incredibly irritating and insulting the way people are fawning over that horrible old bigot. A cruel, nasty man who, even for his time, was a horrible racist and misogynist.
I also understand that actors are most likely to empathise with a historical character they have portrayed, but to hear Oldman eulogise that mass murderer is pretty sickening.

He is personally responsible for the death of millions through planned starvation and massacres and war.... but he DID win WWII single handedly (the Soviet's had nothing to do with it at all Wink)...

Anyway, just goes to show that history is indeed written by the victors.... or at least, those whom have sway over Hollywood.

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 4:22pm

Didn't say it was exceptional...I said a decent watch! Was there big fuss about it? It was a story that seemed to grip the US 24 years ago so no surprise at the interest with it being revisited again.
I'm gonna sound like an old man here but the standard of films out now (well the major ones you hear loads about) don't seem to be of the same calibre of 10-15 years ago. Oscar nominees are generally decent the last couple of years but not exceptional like in the past. I'm very far from a movie buff. Am I wrong here or do others agree?

Due to streaming and pirating, the big film producers are losing money so they are rehashing old films and milking any film that they can make a franchise from. Thus resulting in less indie films with a decent bidget been made. For example lots of classic films in the past wouldn't have a sniff of been made these days

So streaming thieves AngryAngry Big smile
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 4:32pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He is personally responsible for the death of millions through planned starvation and massacres and war.... but he DID win WWII single handedly (the Soviet's had nothing to do with it at all Wink)...

Anyway, just goes to show that history is indeed written by the victors.... or at least, those whom have sway over Hollywood.

I do enjoy the occasional wind-up chorus of "if it wasn't for the Rusians you'd be Krauts". It never fails to shut them up.

I haven't got to see I, Tonya yet, but I think a lot of people on this side of the Atlantic have either forgotten or are unaware of what a significant event this was in American pop culture and on the psyche. It brought a shift in how certain things were reported in the media, with every aspect of Harding's life being pored over in the media in a way that is almost normal know but wasn't then.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:55pm

Due to streaming and pirating, the big film producers are losing money so they are rehashing old films and milking any film that they can make a franchise from. Thus resulting in less indie films with a decent bidget been made. For example lots of classic films in the past wouldn't have a sniff of been made these days

Cheers for the explanation...The rehashing of old movies is something that really annoys me, especially if the movie in question is less than 20 years old!
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 8:27pm

For all Harveys faults Shocked he did get indie films made.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:23pm

Sorry Bronzy. My point was just a generic one and not aimed at your !
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 443444445446447 521>
  Share Topic