Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greg Cunningham

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 4:04pm
Fee around £4m

Sponsored Links

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 5:06pm
We've five fullbacks in the Premier League now, with a sixth PL player, Robbie Brady, also playing in that position at times. Interesting that O'Neill appears to favour Williams at leftback over, what on the face of it, seem obviously superior options in Cunningham, Doherty and Stevens, especially given the fact that he didn't have the best of seasons (on a  personal level) in League One.

I'm guessing that's due to the fact he can also play centre-half and he's not likely as the other options to roam forward, and in O'Neill's conservative mind, that makes him a better defender and a safer bet.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 13 Jun 2018 at 5:09pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 5:22pm
I don't know where people keep getting the idea that Doherty is a left-back from! Sure, he is left footed and has played there, but his career has really taken off since he switched sides and always looked poor when I saw him on the left. Realistically, he should be back-up right back, MON doesn't seem to like him though and prefers Cyrus.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 5:34pm
He's right-footed, I believe. In any case, some fullbacks are adept on both sides - Denis Irwin being an obvious example. He played a full season as Wolves' first-choice leftback. Last season he played wingback, which is different position again, and I think he may have even played at centre-half when at Hibs (he's 6-foot-plus).

I accept he's better on the right, and that that is his preferred position, but my point is that he should be considered, as a PL player who's just come off the back of a very impressive season with Wolves, ahead of Williams who struggled in League One at Blackburn.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 13 Jun 2018 at 5:35pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 6:04pm
He is a premier league right back, not a left back. He has proved he isn't adept at both sides, given how he has gone from an average left back to a pretty good right back!
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 6:06pm
Between our options at centre half and full back we really won’t have to worry about our defensive options for a good while. 

Imagine if we had midfielders and strikers in such abundance. 
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 6:57pm
Delighted for Cunningham, worked his way up the ladder from League one to the Premiership, great move for him. Hope he gets playing regulary and well too. I'm surprised Cunningham and Doherty havent been giving more of a look at over the past 2 or 3 years but I suppose they will be now they are in the Premiership. Great to see more Irish players moving to the Premiership, lets hope they are playing regulary this season.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I don't know where people keep getting the idea that Doherty is a left-back from! Sure, he is left footed and has played there, but his career has really taken off since he switched sides and always looked poor when I saw him on the left. Realistically, he should be back-up right back, MON doesn't seem to like him though and prefers Cyrus.

He's entirely right-footed, we've been through this before. 

On top of that, rather than doing poorly at left-back, it's actually the position that he truly "broke through" in a few years ago. He won numerous personal accolades for the half-season he played in that position, so he can almost certainly do a job there.
We're decent enough..
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:12pm
Doherty wo  wolves player of the season at left full. hes a better right back though
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

I'm guessing that's due to the fact he can also play centre-half and he's not likely as the other options to roam forward, and in O'Neill's conservative mind, that makes him a better defender and a safer bet.

Possibly and also if we play 3 at the back he could be the left sided centre back and looking to see how he gets on at left full incase we've gotta change to a back four mid game. With 3 right backs possibly playing regular games at premier league level I wouldn't mind seeing Coleman play right sided centre back in a back 3 like Kyle Walker has with England, frees up room for someone like Doherty whose played that wing back position for Wolves.

Could end up with:

---------------Randolph 

--Coleman - Duffy - Long

Doherty - Rice - Hendrick - Brady
-----------------O'Dowda

----------Walters - Maguire

Edited by J89 - 14 Jun 2018 at 3:51pm
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Possibly and also if we play 3 at the back he could be the left sided centre back and looking to see how he gets on at left full incase we've gotta change to a back four mid game. With 3 right backs possibly playing regular games at premier league level I wouldn't mind seeing Coleman play right sided centre back in a back 3 like Kyle Walker has with England, frees up room for someone like Doherty whose played that wing back position for Wolves.

Could end up with:

---------------Randolph 

--Coleman - Duffy - Long

-----------------O'Dowda

----------Walters - Maguire

like that idea and 3 at the back for us generally. like that back 3 as well. more inclined to incl hourihane or arter though instead of odowda through the middle. another way to make it work could be rice in that back 3 and coleman as a wingback but agree would rather see him as a RCB, steady presence there. also, love walters, but hoping some of the newer faces like Hogan or soon callum robinson can stake their claims
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

like that idea and 3 at the back for us generally. like that back 3 as well. more inclined to incl hourihane or arter though instead of odowda through the middle. another way to make it work could be rice in that back 3 and coleman as a wingback but agree would rather see him as a RCB, steady presence there. also, love walters, but hoping some of the newer faces like Hogan or soon callum robinson can stake their claims

Think Ireland need that target man type player like Walters unless they change the way they play which I cant see happening, it's why I wanna see us play with two up top as I don't think any of the strikers coming through could play that lone role the way Ireland will use them. Also I more prefer O'Dowda that central role cause he gives us that extra spark, will run at defenders and shoot from distance. Don't think Hourihane or Arter would provide that and unfortunatly the one guy who would have been perfect defected to England.

Could try a 352 like

-----------------Randolph 

---Coleman - Duffy - Long 

-------Maguire  ------------ Robinson 

----------------------Hogan

Could play Maguire, Robinson and Hogan as an attacking 3. Also have O'Dowda that could play instead of either Maguire or Robinson and don't think he'll do much in England but if he does do well at Preston then Burke can play there too. 
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 3:29pm

2nd start in a row for Cardiff today vs Burnley

BippityBoop View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 3:32pm
Great to see, I'm going to watch the match (on TV) so will keep an eye on Cunningham. 

Weird seeing Burnley line out with no Irish starters.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 5:10pm
somewhat at fault for the Burnley goal
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 6:32pm
Playing very well almost scores vs spurs
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 6:34pm
Menacing going forward
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 10:39pm
Doesn't even seem to be making the bench recently after having started a few games in late December/early January. Injured I wonder?
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
  Share Topic