Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [34.18%]
46 [58.23%]
6 [7.59%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 11:58am
Originally posted by totti totti wrote:

Benitez, who had four years of his five-year contract to run, finalised his departure after agreeing a severance payment and said he was "extremely sad" to be leaving the club.
"I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool," he told the club's website.
"I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.
"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.
Sponsored Links

grazza View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 1:20pm
He had to go, he started to lose the plot towards the end. Still putting all that aside thanks Rafa for all the good times. Best of luck to him in Inter!!
YNWA
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by trapped trapped wrote:

Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Marbles Mr Marbles wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Originally posted by trapped trapped wrote:

I hate Benitez for the way he treated Robbie Keane. I know he didn't want the signing, but that was no reason to mess with his head so much just to prove a point. After scoring a cracker against Arsenal in the Emirates Keane found himself on the bench for the next game. Then scored 2 good goals against Bolton - rewarded with the bench.

+1

+2
-1      does that mean you hate all the succesion of other managers who have deemed robbie surplus to requirements?he went back to spurs and had to leave spurs and go back on loan to celtic.i love robbie keane but he was a pawn in a political bunfight between benetiz and the liverpool board.benitez came from spain where the politics of clubs are far worse than that of english clubs ie real madrid.benitez played the game.he secured a 5 year 16 million deal.is that his fault or his employers fault.personally i think it was clear his position was untennable but the level of abuse he is getting is to my mind ott.as i said in a previous thread the apple that is LFC is rotten to the core.rafa is first to go.then gerrard and torres.fans can blame the interim chief executive.dalglish will take over until we get a new owner.then ditch the new ground and co-share with everton.as i liverpool fan i cant see a martin o neill type figure going there while its a shambles.so who then?how much better will they fare?will we win an fa cup?champions league?even get regular champions league football?whatever his faults and there were many at least there will always be istanbul.thank you rafa and good luckClap

No. By the time Keane had moved on from Liverpool his confidence was shattered from the way Benitez treated him. It was a terrible psychological blow to have to return to the team he had left for supposedly bigger things. It was like getting the promotion of your dreams, only to be told 6 months later you were being demoted back to your initial post. He's only human so that was bound to have a very bad impact on his confidence. Thank God it didn't affect his form for Ireland.

As a United fan, i was genuinely worried that Torres and Keane could form a serious partnership that year. Keane had been in the top 5 prem goalscorers in the previous 5 years. I wanted Robbie to succeed on a personal level but obviously not the team. As an Ireland fan, i was disgusted to see how he was treated by his club manager.

The politics of Spanish football are irrelevant here. It's what Benitez did at Liverpool as Keane's manager that counts.

It's not the fact that Keane failed there that upsets me. It's the disgraceful manner in which Benitez messed with his head. And by the way, exactly what type of game was Benitez playing? The game of finishing 7th and playing European football on Thursday nights? Well he won that anyway.

Liverpool now need someone they can recognise, a club legend perhaps. They also need somebody unattached so they don't have to pay off any huge compensation packages. Somebody with international management experience on a world-class management team would also be very desireable. Step up - Stan.....
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 3:02pm
TRAPPED--

benitez did no favours for keane.he used him in a political game with the liverpool board.that is the game i was referring to.i disagree that the politics of  spanish football are not important here as it a universal fact that spanish football is a semi political operation.rafa is spanish and had managed in spain so he was used to dealing with this type of agenda between the board and the loyalty of the fans.he used his influence to get a new deal which he should not have got.as for the way he treated keane it was wrong but its was his team and he could do what he wanted.keane has had a string of clubs.has harry redknapp destroyed keane by takeing him back to spurs and then letting him go to celtic on loan?will keane stay at spurs next year?if he moves will it be his 8th club?rafa made many wrong choices but besides the achievement of thursday nite football as you so put it he did also win  la liga with valencia twice and the uefa cup,the fa cup,qualify for regular champions leagues,got them to a final and also won the european cup with liverpool so a bit of perspective i think is needed when you discuss him as a manager.

Carmody 10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmody 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 8:18pm

A tear nearly came to the eye when he said

"I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool," he told the club's website.
"I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.
"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

But i kept it together in front of the lads.
Thank you Rafa and you have earned my life long respect for the liks of Istanbul.
Best of luck at what i presume will be Inter Thumbs%20Up
Out of order
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 5:34am

TRAPPED--

benitez did no favours for keane.he used him in a political game with the liverpool board.that is the game i was referring to.i disagree that the politics of  spanish football are not important here as it a universal fact that spanish football is a semi political operation.rafa is spanish and had managed in spain so he was used to dealing with this type of agenda between the board and the loyalty of the fans.he used his influence to get a new deal which he should not have got.as for the way he treated keane it was wrong but its was his team and he could do what he wanted.keane has had a string of clubs.has harry redknapp destroyed keane by takeing him back to spurs and then letting him go to celtic on loan?will keane stay at spurs next year?if he moves will it be his 8th club?rafa made many wrong choices but besides the achievement of thursday nite football as you so put it he did also win  la liga with valencia twice and the uefa cup,the fa cup,qualify for regular champions leagues,got them to a final and also won the european cup with liverpool so a bit of perspective i think is needed when you discuss him as a manager.

I agree that Benitez was excellent at Valencia. Winning La Liga twice is quite an achievement, even more so to do it with a team outside the top two of Barca and Real. So i can see why Liverpool hired him.

However, the Keane that Benitez inherited and the one that Rednapp inherited were two completely different players. Don't forget that Keane arrived at Liverpool in the club form of his life. As i said he was consistently in the top five goalscorers in the five previous five seasons (if i remember correctly he scored twice for Spurs at Anfiled the season before he left White Heart Lane). By the time he got to Liverpool himself and Berbatov were one of the best strike partnerships in Europe, as funny as that sounds. By time he left Anfield he had no confidence after being messed around and forced into taking such a dramatic u-turn from the high profile "move of his dreams". His form subsequently suffered and he returned to Spurs with a different mentality altogether. This was all Benitez's fault for the way he treated him. 

Benitez chose to mess with his head rather than capitalise on his obvious potential. He dropped him when playing well and left him on when playing badly. Tried to prove his point to the detriment of Keane and Liverpool. It was the epitome of unprofessionalism. Disgraceful. I lost all respect for him right there and have zero sympathy for the fact he ultimately failed at Liverpool. And he did fail. He used to talk about not being able to compete with other team's resources when, in truth, he spent an absolute fortune - the majority of which on donkeys who i won't even begin to name. The only reason he lasted so long is because he won that CL in his first season. They gave him more time. If the fans wanted a real indicator they should've looked at their league position that season (they finished outside the top four).

I know there is a lot of politics in Spanish football but that doesn't excuse his treatment of one his players. Playing that "game" should not happen anywhere in football. Besides he was in the Premiership at time.

I don't doubt his potential as a manager and he has a good record at Valencia. He could well do a good job at whoever he goes to next but he lost the plot at Liverpool, which is why i wish he stayed. Good riddance.
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 5:44am
trapped your second name isint keane by any chance is it??

Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 5:53am

trapped your second name isint keane by any chance is it??

No, is yours Kuyt?
Gavintheslob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It’s Nessa actually

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavintheslob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 6:09am
I would say kuyt and lucas aint happy at all with the departure of rafa, cant see them getting ass much game time with a new man on board
Its very frustrating being a Slob
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 12:11pm
Yea Kuyt's a good workhorse but that's about it. Benitez was far too loyal to the likes of him. Can't see the likes of him and Lucas lasting under a sensible manager.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
  Share Topic