You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Galway Manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by soccerc soccerc wrote:

Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

Two hours later and not a mention on the RTE website.Angry KNOBJOCKEYS

How are RTE and others to know if they haven't received a Press Release?

Ok, fair enough but it's on other websites.
Sponsored Links

soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soccerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 5:09pm

...and your point?

I haven't received anything from Galway either.
Mr.Potato Head View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Potato Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 5:31pm

...and your point?

I haven't received anything from Galway either.

I was just informed a press release was sent out by Utd at 8:00pm.
Extratime.ie for an example.

This is what I've been told by a reliable fellow involved with GUST.
Landsdowne in the sun
Rovers nil United One
Are you watching Rovers scum
United til I die!!!!!!!!
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 7:04am

Total poo is what I have to say about SC . I am so upset .Thumbs%20Down

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Total poo is what I have to say about SC . I am so upset .Thumbs%20Down

big time spoofer claret you here on MNS goign on about jobs in africa etc and he ends up at galway{no disrespect}

i find it strange given foster went to craptown and connor left Confused
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 10:40am
Over 100 were at the press conference(it helped that it was held in a pizza restaraunt)Tongue

Announced at the press conference that Sean is on a three year contract. Billy Cleary and Gareth Gorman are in his backroom staff. He will be living in Galway and pre-season training starts on Saturday.

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 12:25pm
like him or not, he has a good record

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 12:52pm
yeah lets see how he goes , no huge expectation really 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

whats he won?hes a great record of spending money
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 2:02pm

Three year Terryland deal for Connor

Sean Connor was today introduced to the Galway public as the new manager of Galway United, having signed a three-year deal on Sunday which club CEO Nick Leeson hopes will "reinvigorate" and radically change the way the Connacht club goes about its business.

Speaking today at Connor's unveiling in Supermac's Eyre Square branch, Leeson admitted that mistakes had been made in recent times but vowed to address the matter and hoped that the stability of a long-term contract for the side's manager would be a turning point in the club's fortunes.

"It is my belief that we need to reinvigorate the football club at this time, and we have had some difficulties over the last couple of years," Leeson stated. "One of those has come from the fact that Galway United has been a team not a club, and we need to change that over the next few years. It is that reason that Sean will be signing a three year deal to make sure we change the way the club is run, and the way that it interacts with the community, and the way we deal with the local leagues.

"In the upcoming years I am sure that Sean Connor will challenge me, and hopefully during those years I will challenge Sean also. I have no doubt that we will improve our league position next year, and in the years after that as well."

Challenges of varying sorts were a recurring theme among the speakers, who included Club President Michael D. Higgins, and Leeson first outlined the challenging process of how the Board identified their number one target.

"We have undergone a very painstaking interview process over the past week or so. Two Directors of the club and an independent HR professional were used to interview the first candidates. I would like to thank everybody who applied for the job. There was a very high calibre of individual who applied. The first series of interviews were on Tuesday and Wednesday of last week. A scoring process with certain criteria was used to examine those candidates, and two exceptional candidates came forth from that process.

"Of those two there was one outstanding score which was Sean Connor. Sean and one other were interviewed by myself and the Chairman on Sunday. We sought references as part of the process, but the very clear winner of that process, and the person the Directors of Galway United wanted to manage the club going forward was Sean Connor.

"Sean has an outstanding knowledge of football management, and it was very clear from the interview process that he has the drive and the ambition that is probably unrivalled in the League. Above all he is an excellent coach, and it would probably be fair to say that in the coming season we will have limited rescources at our disposal so Sean's coaching knowledge will very much come to the fore, and hopefully will drive us to the next level."

For all his coaching expertise, in the immediate future, the job criteria is simple, yet challenging. Keep the club in the Premier Division. Not much of a new diversion from the objectives of the past few seasons for Galway United, yet one which still excites the newly installed man.

"I am very excited," Connor revealed. "The thing that attracted me is the challenge, it is a massive challenge. It is probably the biggest challenge I have taken as a coach or a manager, and I am well aware of the situation as regards resources, but the whole League of Ireland is facing a challenge. From the outside I think this is a massive club, a big city, and there is no reason why that we cannot be challenging for honours and European football.

"I had a couple of offers to go to Africa which I turned down, I had an opportunity to go back to America, and I had one or two other options, but I talked to my family, and we wanted to stay in this country. There is a challenge here to build a football club from the bottom right up, and the fact that I will be in total charge of the football side of the business is what excited me, and I really want to get my teeth into it now. I want to see what impact I can have in the history of Galway United."

"I have signed a three year contract, and it is like at any football club, I am going to test Nick, he is going to test me. I am quite sure that the ambition of this football club will more than match my ambitions, and it is going to be a long process. It is not going to be easy, resources are tight, it is going to be a difficult year, but the job is to make sure we stay in the Division, and to put structures and foundations in place so we can take this football club forward."

Connor also confirmed that his backroom staff would comprise of a much trusted lieutenant in Gareth Gorman, who has worked with him at both Sligo and Dundalk and was a player at United for four seasons, and Billy Clery, who had a spell as caretaker manager in 2008 following Tony Cousins' removal.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 2:03pm

Turner get-out clause may be invoked

With only the bare bones of a squad to work with and very little time or money to prepare for the new season, it came as little surprise that Sean Connor wouldn't rule out the possibility of linking up once more with one of his star pupils, Sligo Rovers recent signing Chris Turner.

Turner, who only moved from Oriel Park to the Showgrounds in November, revealed in a recent interview that he had inserted an amazingly unique clause in his contract that allowed him to leave if Connor became a manager at any other League of Ireland club.

Turner admitted to his "love" of working with the Belfast native, who has already signed him three times in brokering moves to Sligo, Bohemians, and most recently Dundalk. Speaking today of the possible additions he may make to the Galway squad, Connor admitted Turner was an option he would have to look at.

"Chris Turner always interests me because in my opinion he is the best player in the League, and if we got him here it would be fabulous. There’s no secret about the clause in his contract that he can come and sign for me. We’ll have to look at that. I’m definitely going to investigate that possibility."

Which may not have pleased the small batch of Sligo Rovers fans in attendance, but financial imperatives at the club may yet scupper that move. Connor also spoke of how he intends to unearth some fresh talent to augment the players who will remain on from last year's squad.

"I think other than Turner, players at Dundalk, it might be difficult because of the budget. There’s certainly players I would like to work with again. But I’m going to do what I did probably in the early days in Sligo and bring in players that are not known. I’m expecting two boys in from New Zealand on trial and we’ll have a couple of players over from England and Scotland.

"I am 100% confident Seamus Conneely will be here. I think John (Russell) has an opportunity to go and look at a club in England and I wouldn’t stand in his way. But if that doesn’t transpire, hopefully with what I’m doing here, I’d like him to be part of it and hopefully he’ll see that as well. Derek O’Brien and Alan Murphy have both given me commitments, Barry Ryan we haven’t met yet but we spoke and I’ll speak to other players in the coming days.

"Everybody who was here last year, we’ll try and see if they’re available for pre-season training. We’ll sit down and speak to them and see how we go. The first thing I need to do now is sit down with Nick and really iron out the budget and the finer details of that. Speak to maybe one or two players that I would like to bring in to the club, and see if I can maybe get them. I’ll be looking everywhere for players, I don’t think I should limit myself to one particular area."

Limits will be in place, though, given the precarious nature of the finances at the club. Club CEO Nick Leeson, however, was keen to point out that measures were being taken to ensure licence criteria were fully met and that financial prudence would be a priority in achieving sustainability into the future.

"It has been a constant fight for us over the past couple of years", Leeson admitted, "with the difficult financial position we find ourselves in. Myself and the other Directors have made significant inroads into that since we came back after Christmas, and I think we have an exciting future ahead of us. It is exciting at the same time that we don't try to run before we walk again, and that things are managed very prudently.

"The Board of Directors financial commitment and contribution to the club is going to increase again during the course of the year. There is significant support being offered by one particular person which is seen as significant sign of intent for the club moving forward. I don't want to disclose the details who that person is, but I am sure people will be able to read between the lines as well."

Papa John's Pizza, a branch of Pat McDonagh's Supermac's empire, has been confirmed to continue as the club's main sponsor.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

whats he won?hes a great record of spending money

he did a good job at sligo, left a good foundation for bohs to win the league, and kept us up which is all he was required to do

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 1:52am
I can't see why to be honest we have signed SC , I will tell yer it will all end in tears for us .
3 year contract is a joke as we can't aford to sack him now ...........
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 6:41am
No need for me to voice my opinions on this liar really , think you are all aware what i think of him 

Edited by ps bohs - 12 Jan 2010 at 6:42am
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 6:58am
I was waiting for your comments alright PS
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 7:39am
the fact that he got a 3 yr contract must mean that Galway are pretty much guaranteed a premier lisence anyway
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 7:41am
Originally posted by ps bohs ps bohs wrote:

No need for me to voice my opinions on this liar really , think you are all aware what i think of him 

so is this the end of your obsession with dundalk?

TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 7:48am

Originally posted by ps bohs ps bohs wrote:

so is this the end of your obsession with dundalk?

Yeah looks like it alright
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic