You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Galway Manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Galway Manager
    Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 1:27pm

Search begins for another manager

GALWAY United have started the process of appointing a new manager following the shock departure of Ian Foster late on Friday, with the club advertising the position on its website last night.

The Terryland Park-based outfit are in the hunt for their fifth manager in just 20 months after Foster walked out on the remainder of his contract on Friday to take the reins at Dundalk, saying the fact he was owed money by United allowed him to speak to the Oriel Park club, despite United refusing him permission to do so.

Speaking to Sentinel Sport from England yesterday, Foster insisted he was well within his rights to speak to Dundalk as a portion of his wages from United was outstanding, which he claimed was a fundamental breach of his contract, and he believes United do not have a leg to stand on should they pursue either him, Dundalk, or both, with a compensation claim.

“I got advice from the FAI and from the League Managers’ Association [in England]that I was within my rights to speak to whoever I wanted as I was owed money by United. Look, I don’t want to dig out anyone at the club, but I was owed money and I couldn’t get any assurances from the club so I had to make the decision that was right for me,” Foster said yesterday.

“I left on amicable terms, I am genuinely disappointed to be leaving Galway as I really enjoyed my time there and I worked with a very good bunch of lads, but I couldn’t get assurances on my own wages, never mind on a budget for next season.

“Portia [Foster’s wife] is expecting our first child in February, and I needed assurances on wages. She is coming over with me in January, we would have settled in Galway as she really liked it there any time she was over, but I will have a family to think of in February and I needed assurances on wages, which I didn’t get. Another club put an offer on the table and I thought it best I took it,” he said.

United CEO Nick Leeson admitted to Sentinel Sport yesterday that Foster – who had another year to run on his contract – was owed money by the club, but he insisted it was “an exceptionally small fraction of the €100,000 he would have got from the club in the past two years”.

“Ian Foster is Friday’s news – today is Monday, I’ve forgotten about him already. The question surrounding him being owed money and that being a breach of his contract is a legal issue, and I don’t want to get in to it, but we will be issuing a compensation claim against Dundalk,” Leeson said yesterday.

Leeson said the club would cast the net far and wide in the search for a new manager, and insisted there would be no “pre-judgements” made about any candidate. Potential candidates will undergo an “intensive interview process”, he said, and while he wouldn’t be drawn on any favourite for the job, one gets the sense from what he says that the club may opt for someone already based in Galway.

“We will advertise locally, nationally, and internationally, and we don’t have someone in mind. I am not going to say we want someone local, but one aspect of the job is that we need better integration with the local league, something we have not had with the last two managers [Foster and Jeff Kenna] for one reason or another,” he said yesterday.

A number of local names have been mentioned since Friday, but the majority of those contacted by Sentinel Sport yesterday ruled themselves out of the equation, including Stephen Lally, Derek Rogers, Johnny Glynn, Mark Herrick and Jim Noone.

Tony Mannion – who has had three previous spells as manager at United, and would be a popular choice with many fans – was uncontactable as he was travelling to Holland in his role as Coach Educator with the FAI, but it is understood he would be unable to comment owing to his role with the FAI.

Two people have confirmed to Sentinel Sport their interest in the job. Tom French, who was Foster’s assistant manager last season, and has also worked at the club in the role of trainer, said he will be throwing his hat into the ring, as will former United manager Paul ‘Ski’ McGee.

Sponsored Links

Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 5:29pm
good jon for who ever takes it
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2009 at 1:39am
I did hear that a couple from Paris are in the running , Micky & Minnie
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2009 at 4:02am
not fcuking ski please
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2009 at 4:10pm
United players reveal Foster had ‘lost’ the dressing-room

by Keith Kelly

As the dust settles on the sudden departure of Ian Foster as manager of Galway United on Friday, it is emerging that things were not as rosy as many believed during his short tenure at the club.

Foster is being lauded by the majority of United fans for steering the club clear of relegation in the season just ended with a young and inexperienced squad and an almost non-existent budget, but while it appears he will be missed by the majority on the terraces, it seems the dressing room is a different matter.

United players confirmed yesterday to Sentinel Sport that relations between Foster and his squad were fractious for a large part of the season, with one player claiming the manager had “lost the dressingroom” during the Summer, a claim backed up by another player.

Foster is believed to have had heated arguments at different times with a number of the more senior players in the squad, and while most of the players contacted yesterday did not want to go into detail, it is believed that Foster’s tactics were one of the main causes of friction between him and the players.

“There were massive arguments with what I would call certain key players, and yes, I think it is fair to say he did lose the dressingroom during the season. That said, he did keep us up, so you have to hand it to him, but relations weren’t good with him,” said one player yesterday.

Another player confirmed the allegations about serious arguments, but said that “what’s done is done, we’re not going to dwell on it, and we have to look to the future and get the right manager in at the club”.

One player who did speak on the record was Derek O’Brien, and he said that while he was surprised that Foster left the club, he thinks it was the wrong decision.

“United took a chance on him, he came here as a physio, he wasn’t an assistant manager, he was Jeff Kenna’s friend. He became an assistant to Jeff, and then got the manager’s job, United gave him his chance and I think he owed it to the club to at least see out his contract,” O’Brien said.

When asked what impact Foster’s departure would have on the club, O’Brien was in positive mode, saying the club moved on following the departure of Kenna, and would do so again.

“It will be difficult in terms of continuity, and in a way he will be missed - he got the results and it is all about results, so there is that. That said, we moved on without Jeff, and we’ll do the same after Ian,” he said.

O’Brien said Foster’s departure would not mean a lot to players in terms of contracts - all of United’s players from the 2009 season are out of contract - as he said that while players have to wait for a new manager to be appointed before contract negotiations can open with any of them, it would have been the same if Foster was still in place.

“If he was still here, we’d be waiting until the new year anyway until a budget was sorted out and we were approached with contracts, so in that sense it doesn’t make much difference,” said O’Brien.

The majority of the players Sentinel Sport spoke to said their preference for manager would be someone based in Galway as they would know the workings at United, as well as being aware of the talent out there on the local junior scene.

One person who is flagging his credentials in this area is United legend and former Irish international Paul ‘Ski’ McGee, one of the two people who confirmed their interest in the job when contacted by Sentinel Sport yesterday.

McGee - who had a spell as player/manager of the club from August 1989 to April 1990 and is United’s all-time top scorer with 97 goals (74 in the league, 18 in the League Cup, one in both the UEFA Cup and FAI Cup, and three in the now defunct First Division Shield) - said his role in the FAI U21 League win with Salthill Devon a couple of seasons ago is proof of his established links with the local soccer scene.

“If Galway United want a winner, they should look my way. Of course I would be interested in the job at United, as they are a Premier Division club looking to go in the right direction.

“I am living locally and I am very proud of what I achieved as a player with United, as well as a manager in 1989/90 [United finished eighth in the 12-team Premier Division, 11 points clear of relegation]. I have the experience having managed Limerick, as well as United, and as assistant at Cork City. I haven’t been approached, but I will be applying for the job,” said McGee, who won 16 caps for the Republic of Ireland, scoring four goals in that time.

Another confirmed applicant for the position is Tom French, who was Foster’s assistant in the 2009 season. French is believed to be very popular in the United dressing room, and sees the job as manager as a natural progression in his career.

“I joined the club as trainer [under Tony Cousins] and was assistant manager last year, so I think it is a natural progression for me. If I wasn’t to apply, I would see it as a desire not to move on, and that is not the case, so yes, I will be putting my name forward,” he said.

McGee and French were two of a number of potential candidates contacted by Sentinel Sport yesterday, and they were very much the exception to the rule as the majority of the rest all ruled themselves out of the equation.

Former managers Stephen Lally and Jim Noone said they had no interest in returning to the post, while Mervue United manager Johnny Glynn and his assistant Mark Herrick - both highly regarded former players who cut guided Mervue through their first season as a League of Ireland outfit - also ruled out a run for the United job.

“I am in discussions with Mervue United about next season, about the need to strengthen the squad and questioning what we have learned from this season. The club needs to look at the long term, it lost a lot of money this year despite the fact not one player got paid, so there is a lot to think about and work on,” he said.

Glynn and Herrick both comfortably fit into the ‘legend’ bracket when it comes to United, as does Derek Rogers, but he has also ruled himself out of the running, preferring instead to concentrate on his work with NUI Galway’s football set-up. Efforts to contact Billy Clery - who stepped in as caretaker for four games between the sacking of Tony Cousins and the appointment of Jeff Kenna in April 2008 - were unsuccessful.

Efforts were also made to contact another former United manager, Tony Mannion, but he was travelling to Holland as part of his job with the FAI as a Coach Educator, which involves delivering coaching courses for aspiring coaches and managers.

Given his position with the FAI, he would be prohibited from commenting on the vacancy at United, but it is thought he would be reluctant to return for what would be a fourth spell as United manager, having served in the role from September 1985 to April 1988; January 1992 to November 1995, and from October 2001 to January 2005.

One ‘outside’ name that is popping up is Mike Kerley, the former manager of Limerick - United advertised the position last night, with a deadline of Monday December 21, after which suitable candidates will be interviewed, with an appointment to be made in early 2010.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 1:26am
Tribal , why is it that the press ( or is it Nic ) that each time a manager leaves they have to stick the knife in ?

It just upsets me .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Mafi Mushkila View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafi Mushkila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 6:01pm
Galway to make New Year appointment

December 11, 2009

Galway United chief executive Nick Leeson has revealed that a new manager will not be appointed until the New Year.

The Tribesmen are seeking a successor to Ian Foster, who walked out on the club to take charge of Premier Division rivals Dundalk last week.

The new boss will be a fifth manager in little over two years, with Foster, Jeff Kenna and Tony Cousins having filled the role in a permanent capacity and Billy Clery stepped in on a caretaker basis.

Clery is one of those sure to be considered for the position, while local media reports suggest that Tony Mannion – who has had three stints as Terryland Park boss stretching back more than 20 years – Tom French and Paul McGee are also in contention.

But with a December 21st closing date for applications, Leeson has revealed that no appointment will be made before January.

Quoted by the Galway City Tribune, he said: “The first thing we are looking at is to reach agreement with Revenue on a payment plan for money owed to them. The manager issue has been parked until the closing date, we’ll look at all the applications, select people for interview, and we hope to make an appointment in the New Year.”
Gouldinho09 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gouldinho09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 6:07pm
Dave Bassett being linked with the job

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Gouldinho09 Gouldinho09 wrote:

Confused
Where did you hear that? Can't see it happening. Most likely a local in a part time position.
Gouldinho09 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gouldinho09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

Originally posted by Gouldinho09 Gouldinho09 wrote:

ConfusedWhere did you hear that? Can't see it happening. Most likely a local in a part time position.

A good friend of mine works with the LMA and told me Dave wants to try and manage in Ireland. He has also been linked with Cork although but the whole licence thing has put him off the job so far

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 11:41am
any news lads ? ski still the front runner ? jaysis 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 11:45am
Tom French is the one people are saying at the moment. With either Barry Ryan or Ski as his assistant.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:45am
ski looking for a way in again after the limerick debacle..

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 5:16am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

That Ski McGee lads? 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 5:17am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

That Ski McGee lads? 

the one and only FW
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 5:25am
Grand lad Ski, too short a spell at Milltown in the 80s..........his cousin (same name) played at our LSL club for years, smashing player and all round good egg.  Would be great to see Ski back in football here.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 11:13am

Grand lad Ski, too short a spell at Milltown in the 80s..........his cousin (same name) played at our LSL club for years, smashing player and all round good egg.  Would be great to see Ski back in football here.

Ski Mc Gee passed away earlier in 2009 R.I.P
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 11:18am
Originally posted by ps bohs ps bohs wrote:

Ski Mc Gee passed away earlier in 2009 R.I.P

Which Ski is this?

Paul McGee who's from Sligo, is Galways all time top scorer and played for Ireland from 78-80 is alive. He also spent a short time at Rovers in 84. This is the lad linked with the Galway job.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic