You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish U16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 1:34pm
An awful bang of nepotism off Cian Morling's selection. Reminds me of Harvey Neville getting into an Ireland U19 squad and getting moves to Man Utd, Valencia and the MLS because of his daddy and uncle's connections (now at Fort Lauderdale in the USL so he can still be close to his daddy).

You'd give the Morling lad the benefit of the doubt if he was in the academy of any other club but it looks like daddy got him a spot in the Brighton academy and IRL underage squads simply through networking.

John Delaney and Noel King might be gone but some old habits die hard it would seem.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 18 Sep 2021 at 1:40pm
Sponsored Links

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 4:04pm
Would I be right in saying you know absolutely nothing about this Morling kid? 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Watch out. You'll be accused of being Paul O'Shea. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 4:26pm

He knows very little about a lot but it doesn’t stop him on here! 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Watch out. You'll be accused of being Paul O'Shea. 

LOL You logged in out of nowhere with this alt account within approximately 24 hours of one of your pseudonyms being banned for the 8th or 9th time and you've been a regular ever since. And it took you about 3 or 4 posts to start targeting my posts about eligible players again.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 4:34pm

I know his father works for the FAI and Brighton and I know Phil Neville contacted the FAI to let them know of Harvey's eligiblity. I'd bet Cian's dad pulled similar strings to get him involved in the setup.

Not something I personally agree with as I think call ups should be based completely on merit TBH, which Harvey's transparently wasn't.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 5:17pm
Are you the one who DM’d me because you thought I was being mean to you?
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I know his father works for the FAI and Brighton and I know Phil Neville contacted the FAI to let them know of Harvey's eligiblity. I'd bet Cian's dad pulled similar strings to get him involved in the setup.

Not something I personally agree with as I think call ups should be based completely on merit TBH, which Harvey's transparently wasn't.

But you said the following : "You'd give the Morling lad the benefit of the doubt if he was in the academy of any other club but it looks like daddy got him a spot in the Brighton academy and IRL underage squads simply through networking.
"

Why are you evading the Morling point and just referring to your Neville point? How do you know "daddy got him a spot" in the Brighton and Irish set ups and footballing ability played no part?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 5:54pm

But you said the following : "You'd give the Morling lad the benefit of the doubt if he was in the academy of any other club but it looks like daddy got him a spot in the Brighton academy and IRL underage squads simply through networking.
"

Why are you evading the Morling point and just referring to your Neville point? How do you know "daddy got him a spot" in the Brighton and Irish set ups and footballing ability played no part?

Exhibit A: Anton Rodgers at Chelsea (Brendan Rodgers son, who is currently playing in the Isthmian League)
Exhibit B: Cian Hughton at Spurs and Birmingham (Chris Hughton's son, retired in his early twenties)
Exhibit C: Louis Dunne at Colchester (Joe Dunne's son, who is currently playing in the National League South)
Exhibit D: Evan Osam (the current U16 manager's son, got Intl caps, current whereabouts unknown)

I'm sure I could come up with more. That's just a few examples of nepotism off the top of my head. There's a nagging suspicion that if some of these boys were good enough, they'd have offers from academies or clubs that their fathers aren't employed with.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 18 Sep 2021 at 6:03pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:01pm
Anto Dodd is a cousin of Adam Murphy,who recently signed pro with Pats. Anto played most of his ddsl football with Belvo,playing a year up. Lovely footballer. Adam currently out with a very bad hamstring tear. Big operation ahead. 
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:02pm
Exhibit E:Paolo Maldini at AC Milan! Only ever got a game because of who his dad was

Same with Daniel Maldini-only came on in the champions league the other night because of his dad...and grandad

Edited by geansaí - 18 Sep 2021 at 6:03pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by geansaí geansaí wrote:

Exhibit E:Paolo Maldini at AC Milan! Only ever got a game because of who his dad was

Same with Daniel Maldini-only came on in the champions league the other night because of his dad...and grandad
God help Daniels kids if he ever has any!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:07pm

Cesare Maldini wasn't employed by AC Milan when Paolo broke through. Look up nepotism in the dictionary.

Oddly enough, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Kaka, Clarence Seedorf and loads of other players have had siblings in the youth setup at Milan, likely as part of a contractual obligation on signing for the club.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:19pm

"

Exhibit A: Anton Rodgers at Chelsea (Brendan Rodgers son, who is currently playing in the Isthmian League)
Exhibit B: Cian Hughton at Spurs and Birmingham (Chris Hughton's son, retired in his early twenties)
Exhibit C: Louis Dunne at Colchester (Joe Dunne's son, who is currently playing in the National League South)
Exhibit D: Evan Osam (the current U16 manager's son, got Intl caps, current whereabouts unknown)

I'm sure I could come up with more. That's just a few examples of nepotism off the top of my head. There's a nagging suspicion that if some of these boys were good enough, they'd have offers from academies or clubs that their fathers aren't employed with.

If you think the above list supports your point made on a player you have never seen play and probably never heard about before today... And I suppose it's completely unrelated to the point made just a couple of posts ago in this thread about the success of underage international players...
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:27pm
Well look at who I'm talking to.

It's funny you mentioned "Paul O'Shea" when I never referred to a Paul before when talking to you under your current guise of "Eoink21".

However, I remember when you posted as 4-4-2, the discussion turned to a troll who posts as Paul O'Shea on Foot.ie.

Considering you keep mistakenly revealing your true identity in the daftest ways imaginable, I'm not that surprised you're struggling to follow my argument.

If there was a crayon button, I'd use it to try and make it easier on you.
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:27pm

Cesare Maldini wasn't employed by AC Milan when Paolo broke through. Look up nepotism in the dictionary.

Oddly enough, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Kaka, Clarence Seedorf and loads of other players have had siblings in the youth setup at Milan, likely as part of a contractual obligation on signing for the club.
Remember when Palace signed Jonathan Benteke along with Chrstian? He made 1 sub appearance coming on for his brother and then disappeared. Happens all the time. 

Donnarumma's brother has made a career out of it.

Hard to judge this Morling lad to harshly, none of us have seen him play. Odds of any of these lads making it is slim, will have to give him the benefit of the doubt.
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:38pm

You may need to look up the definition yourself:
Nepotism is the unfair use of power in order to get jobs or other benefits for your family or friends.

AC were managed be a former teammate of Cesare when Paolo broke through. Cesare was also the Italy u21 manager when Paolo made his u21 debut

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:54pm

You may need to look up the definition yourself:
Nepotism is the unfair use of power in order to get jobs or other benefits for your family or friends.

AC were managed be a former teammate of Cesare when Paolo broke through. Cesare was also the Italy u21 manager when Paolo made his u21 debut

re: the bold LOL

And Paolo had already made his debut for one of the biggest clubs in the world when he made his U21 debut. Nepotism never came into it.

Nepotism is when lads like Chedric Seedorf, Digao and Anton Rodgers get accepted into academies of massive clubs because their family members work there.

Now Cian Morling might end up playing for Aston Villa or Leeds in 6 or 7 years time for all we know. If he was in the academy of one of the other 43 teams in the top 2 divisions in the country, we wouldn't be having this discussion, though.

Especially seeing as how Anton Rodgers and Cian Hughton's careers turned out (and going by Harvey Neville's career trajectory).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic