You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dublin Pubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 48>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 9:39pm
I actually think Guinness tastes better when the upper third of the pint is still a bit brown and still settling.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 12:28am
Originally posted by The Ham The Ham wrote:

Guinness is perhaps one of the most homogenised products in the world. Add that to the fact that there is countless "Quality Control" vans on the road and Diageo literally pay pubs to ensure their taps are maintained, it beggars belief that people still think there are good/bad pints nowadays. 

Give a follow on insta if you have it to ‘sh*tlondonguinness’ and you’ll soon find what you’ve said there is complete sh*te. Gibneys in Malahide is also a great example of a well know pub that serves atrocious Guinness.
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 9:02am
I've had nice pints in the lounge at Gibneys but the pints in the bar aren't great alright. The point about the standard of Guinness being the same everywhere is utter bullsh*t.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

I could barely pick Tallaght out on a map but I was out there yesterday in The Scholars for some food and a few pints after a funeral. I'm not usually a big fan of pubs that do food but the grub there was really excellent. More restaurant standard than pub. Apparently this is a recent thing as up until a couple of months ago the food was average enough, but since then they've gotten in a new chef. The roast beef was unreal. Lovely Guinness too

It's in Ballycullen, not Tallaght! New chef took over a couple of months ago (former chef from the Ploughboy I think) and was told he'd be changing everything so might wander across now on the back of your review. The food there had been a big let down, pub grub you would have expected to get 10/15 years ago. Was just lagging behind other pubs in the area.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 9:43am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

I could barely pick Tallaght out on a map but I was out there yesterday in The Scholars for some food and a few pints after a funeral. I'm not usually a big fan of pubs that do food but the grub there was really excellent. More restaurant standard than pub. Apparently this is a recent thing as up until a couple of months ago the food was average enough, but since then they've gotten in a new chef. The roast beef was unreal. Lovely Guinness too
Decent boozerClap

The bar on the left hand side as you walk in is where I'll be parked for tye 1st 2 days of Cheltenham.  Free coddle and good Guinness 👍 
You go into the Speaker at all?

That was my local from 17 - 30! Will always have a soft spot for it. Funnily enough, never watched Cheltenham there. We always would go somewhere different.

If you're looking for great Guinness in the area, Aherns is the spot 

Still a fiver for a pint of Guinness in the bar in The Speaker. Don't go in nearly as much as we used to. Think most people are the same since food menu completely changed when the chefs left during covid. Music Bingo on Thursday nights can be a bit of a laugh though.

6 years living in Firhouse now and I still haven't had a pint in the community center.  
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 10:10am
Jaysus havnt been in the centre in about 25 years!
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 11:33am

We must do a Firhouse pub crawl. Could even add Delaneys in to squeeze a few more pints out of it.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Guinness is perhaps one of the most homogenised products in the world. Add that to the fact that there is countless "Quality Control" vans on the road and Diageo literally pay pubs to ensure their taps are maintained, it beggars belief that people still think there are good/bad pints nowadays. 
Going a bit off topic for Dublin pubs but the above just isint true, was down in Galway last summer and got an absolutely foul pint in the Dail bar. Took the w**ker behind the bar 10 minutes to pull it too, won’t be goin back there !!

Was that upstairs in the Dail bar after 7pm? 

LOL

A certain sc ? 

Wayne Kerr NR Censored
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Going a bit off topic for Dublin pubs but the above just isint true, was down in Galway last summer and got an absolutely foul pint in the Dail bar. Took the w**ker behind the bar 10 minutes to pull it too, won’t be goin back there !!

Was that upstairs in the Dail bar after 7pm? 

LOL

A certain sc ? 

Wayne Kerr NR Censored

Smile
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 12:53pm

Decent boozerClap

The bar on the left hand side as you walk in is where I'll be parked for tye 1st 2 days of Cheltenham.  Free coddle and good Guinness 👍 

That was my local from 17 - 30! Will always have a soft spot for it. Funnily enough, never watched Cheltenham there. We always would go somewhere different.

Great pint alright, Old Mill is decent too in that general area.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 10:29pm

You will get bad pints when pubs don't look after their glasses 

But, yea totally agree. Thousands of pubs serve the exact same perfect pint. No pub can claim best pint in Ireland 
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 10:32pm

Decent boozerClap

Gone to the dogs I hear?
Likewise,  will always have a soft spot. 

Went to the Complex for a few yesterday. Tidy spot 
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

We must do a Firhouse pub crawl. Could even add Delaneys in to squeeze a few more pints out of it.

Went to centre yesterday. First time in years. Very clean and tidy with a fine pint 

Ken from Speaker working there 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 12:02am
Went for a drive up the mountains over Christmas and came back down that way, couldn't believe how far back the estates went now and they were still clearing land for more new builds half way up the hills.

Used to hike up the Hellfire that way and it was nothing but fields, would stop off in Mortons or Delaneys on the way back for pints. They still open?

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 6:53am
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Went for a drive up the mountains over Christmas and came back down that way, couldn't believe how far back the estates went now and they were still clearing land for more new builds half way up the hills.

Used to hike up the Hellfire that way and it was nothing but fields, would stop off in Mortons or Delaneys on the way back for pints. They still open?

Mortons is gone,Delanys still open
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 9:15am

Yeah the family seem to have sold everything with Lamb Doyles closed too.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 7:32pm

Speaker going too AFAIK
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 9:47am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Speaker going too AFAIK

Been hearing that for years with it to be knocked and apartments go up. Can't see planning been given for that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 48>
  Share Topic