You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Harp Bar Paris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Bit of an overreaction I think. If a bar owner knows his bar will be full, why should he lower his prices? He's running a business. If you think a bar is too expensive, just move on to another bar.

Just voting with my feet. Get where he's coming from but if the boozer next door is willing to do a deal to compete he'll get my hard-earned. They'll all be rammed full with toilets an inch under a sea of piss so the only variable will be in price. 
Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:55pm
If they were increasing their prices, I think you'd have a reason to be annoyed. If they're just keeping their prices the same as they always are, I don't see any problem with that. 

YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:10pm
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they do raise prices,there is a big Austrian owned Irish bar in Salzburg and when a Champions league qualifier,big team team in the Europa league come to town or in Euro 2008, they printed new menus with raised prices for fans but charged regulars normal prices, Seen an Irish bar in Rome do it too when i was there for a 6 nations game.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:26pm
I'm just glad at least one place is doing good deals. The only issue now is supply. If everywhere else stays double the price that pub will be drunk dry.

It will be like in the trenches in WW1. The bar tenders are the machine gunners and we're the troops charging them. Can they reload the barrels fast enough before we over run them and tear the place down?
Seanachie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanachie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they do raise prices,there is a big Austrian owned Irish bar in Salzburg and when a Champions league qualifier,big team team in the Europa league come to town or in Euro 2008, they printed new menus with raised prices for fans but charged regulars normal prices, Seen an Irish bar in Rome do it too when i was there for a 6 nations game.

Unlikely to happen in Paris (it certainly hasn't happened before for any sporting events in my fourteen years of living here). What some pubs might do is suspend happy hour on matchdays though a lot of Irish pubs in particular don't have happy hours anyway (and they're often more expensive than French bars too). I expect the average price of a regular pint of lager to be 6 to 7 euros, though there will be places like The Harp selling cheaper too.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:34pm

If they were increasing their prices, I think you'd have a reason to be annoyed. If they're just keeping their prices the same as they always are, I don't see any problem with that. 

It's not the fact he won't lower his prices, it's the attitude "Why should I...." .If you're a businessman you could put it in a more mature way. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

It's not the fact he won't lower his prices, it's the attitude "Why should I...." .If you're a businessman you could put it in a more mature way. 

This. There are ways of putting things. Your man may as well have written "go f**k yourself" as it amounts to the same thing.
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

I want to get to the fanzone one of the days but I'd prefer to be here matchday. When do you think would be the best time to go to the eifil tower? The day before, before the match or after it?

you will still be able to visit the Eiffel tower at any stage. the fanzone isn't underneath it, rather just in the park area beside it (champs de mars). considering a lot more people visit the tower rather than what is expected in the fanzones, they couldn't cut off the tower...although space for 92k in that fanzone!

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

This. There are ways of putting things. Your man may as well have written "go f**k yourself" as it amounts to the same thing.
Hang on, random pub owner gets a call from random person asking him to lower his prices and random pub owner says "Why should I?". Call your local boozer and ask them to lower their prices for you and see what they say.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:07pm
Its Paris lads for f**ks sake, don't expect too many people to be friendly or mannerly.
darragh90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darragh90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:08pm
Anyone ring Michael O'Leary for cheaper flights yet?
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:13pm

Hang on, random pub owner gets a call from random person asking him to lower his prices and random pub owner says "Why should I?". Call your local boozer and ask them to lower their prices for you and see what they say.

This is obviously a specific set of circumstances. It's done quite frequently on trips and there are normally 1 or 2 pubs happy to oblige as they know they will get the business as word spreads. If this was a qualifier with say 5,000 heading over he'd probably be open to lowering his prices in order to get the business. As there will be a lot more fans than that though he doesn't need to. Anyway, as I said, I don't have an issue with his logic. He's perfectly entitled to say no. It's the sh*tty attitude that I take umbrage with.
larraga View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larraga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

I want to get to the fanzone one of the days but I'd prefer to be here matchday. When do you think would be the best time to go to the eifil tower? The day before, before the match or after it?

you will still be able to visit the Eiffel tower at any stage. the fanzone isn't underneath it, rather just in the park area beside it (champs de mars). considering a lot more people visit the tower rather than what is expected in the fanzones, they couldn't cut off the tower...although space for 92k in that fanzone!

Personally I would prefer our Fans to congregate under the  Eiffel Tower, like our last two visits, where you can bring your own gargle. 

The Sweden game is on at 6:00, so I intend on heading to St Denis area at about 2pm as they're could be major hold ups getting to stadium. So it's not the best day for Tower. Obviously the day after the match is pointless going there as people will be heading South or home. So the best time to go would be day before game, in my humble opinion.
larraga View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larraga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

When we were in Paris for game in 2004, the Locals were evicted from Sullivans on Grand Boulevards to accommodate the thirsty Paddies willing to flash the cash. 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:11pm
Just be glad the publicans aren't gone on strike.
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 4:12pm

Exactly, some people are living on another planet
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 5:12pm
Are you missing the point on purpose? I'll say it again - he can charge what he likes but he doesn't have to be a dick about it.
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 5:24pm
Exactly Paulie,he could have just responded with a polite "no", ,i get a lot of requests in my pub about student offers,or musicians looking for gigs, its just as easy to be polite ,anyway fair play to the kid in the Harp bar,it might not be to everyones taste but it should save us a few quid over the course of a few days Thumbs Up
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic