Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Nana Moon View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Manager
    Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 2:21am
I think a partnership of Glen Hoddle and Uri Gellor would be the right way to go.

On the downside its the end of the road for Damien Duffs international career
Sponsored Links

PompeyBill View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 12:52am
Big Ron Manager. Look at his track record - Kettering Town, Cambridge (worked wonders with the rowing team), WBA, Man Yoo, Athletico (lasted a whole 96 days), Shefield Wednesday, Villa, Coventry, Notts Forrest, and the great job he did as football consultant (as the FAI would call it) at Peterborough.

Any man who can come out after an 8-1 home defeat to Man Yoo and say that the fans cant complain as he gave them a 'nine-goal thriller' is a legend in my book. Would rather listen to that than Stan's 'we had 11 good players out there' and 'San Marino will be a handful in the group from now on' drivel anyday.

On the downside its the end of the road for Stephen Reid's and Clinton Morrisons international career.
TheodoreBagwell View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2007 at 9:40am
Keano would be the man
He has done an unbelievable job at Sunderland.
Frtom rock bottom to fifth in a few months.
He would never work for the clowns in the FAI though.

Interesting the things he is doing at Sunderland.
The players stay in a five start hotel the night before a game so they can relax and tune in probarly.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
Roy ha sit well sussed now
Teddy's Home
Jimmy 2 Times View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2007 at 7:34am
If you could have a choice of any unattached/attached manager in the world who would you like to be in charge (Be realistic aswell, no Jose's, Ferguson's or Big Jacks)
The way other european national teams went with Big time players like van basten and Klinnsman might work but only with someone like Keano as manager not Stan! 
Ah Shadaapa You Face!

Ah Shadaapa You Face!
TheodoreBagwell View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2007 at 5:03am
Stan will have to be paid off if he is sacked, end of story.
But i also think that the FAI have more money than they would have you believe
Teddy's Home
lord fontleroy View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2007 at 6:52pm

I think that when we do appoint a new manager that he should not be Irish or British.

We're trying to qualify for the European championship, and play other European teams. Why not get a European manager and get away the hustle and bustle style of British football with its "All Guts but NO Glory" outcomes.

I know we cant afford Lippi or Otmar Hitzfeld, but there are plenty of good technical managers in Portugal, France, Holland, Romania.... that would jump at the chance to take an international team, (albeit a sh*t one at the mo).

At least we might be entertained despite not qualifying.

ps. I know Sven was useless, but hopefully we don't ripped off by a dud.
considerably richer than u
Nana Moon View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2007 at 2:37pm
havent head anyone elses name crop up though,not even the usual suspects.thought there would be more in the media about it cause he will defo be shown the door if both croke park games go arseways.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2007 at 12:53pm
Bar stool talk nane i reckon.
was in the papers last week
Nana Moon View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2007 at 12:19pm
I heard in the boozer last night that if Stan drops points in the next 2 games he will be let go and Kenny Daglish will be brought in as an interim manager until they can find someone? Anyone else here this?
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2007 at 7:50am
We all agree the Gaffer is getting a serious amount of abuse.  He was a ever present great player for the republic over the years earning 102 caps and deserves huge respect from us as a player, but as a manager!
I think the fai looked at van basten at holland and Kilnnsman at germany and thought eh, maybe this is the way to go? HAsent worked so he should step down while he still has our respect as a man!
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2007 at 7:22am
Agree Finnegan. It's the easy option to jump on Stan's back.
And there are many others bar delaney - the 10 man board who back him are the core of the FAI.

Also, this personal abuse of Stan is out of order. Fair enough he is bad with the media etc

But the FAI recently appointed Gerry McDermott as marketing manager. My sources tell me that he is the one that advises Stan to accentuate the positives.
So who is really talking the post match drivel. It comes from Stans mouth, but maybe McDermott and Declan Conroy should also be up for criticism.

There are many at fault for the current state of Irish football, Stan is the pne in the spotlight and an easy target.

in saying that, I think if he loses one of the 2 next games he should do the decent thing and stand down
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2007 at 7:21am
nobody, not even the clowns!
finegan View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2007 at 7:19am

True but what pack of clowns are implementing the Genesis report?

The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2007 at 7:15am
isnt this what the genesis report was about many moons ago?
finegan View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2007 at 7:12am

Whatever manager we get it won't make sh!t of a difference as long as the pri€ks(The FAI) are still running the show, leave Stan for the moment(not too long tho he is crap) get rid of delaney and his croonies first and get a decent setup in the fai.

The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 9:00am
Have to disagree with you LawrieS. I think Norn Iron and the word overachievement come hand in hand and they have done f*ck all except cause a few fluke upsets in the last few years.
I think we dont have the players that we had a few years ago but in fairness when you still have 9 premiership players in your starting line up you have to look else-where to point the finger.  The only World class player is Shay Given and then there are a few above average players (on paper) being Duff, Finnan, Keane (again ON PAPER!). There is the makings of a above average first 11 but after that I cant see anyone else being more outstanding than another and its just your run-of-the mill campaigners ie Kilbane, Carsley, Dunne etc to fill the remaining slots.   
Over the years there were so many hopefuls but many havent matched what our expectations were....People like Steven Reid, Andy Reid, Morrison, Elliot, Lee, OShea, Miller, Quinn ...............the list is endless!

Edited by The Count - 13 Feb 2007 at 9:01am
FrancoB View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 8:15am
LawrieS, It may have been an over achievement in the past but when you over achive a few times then it becomes the norm ... we should not settle for what wales and the scotlands of this world have settled for.... Let's not put our heads down and get all negative ... we should learn from our f*ck ups and move on ... Stan was, is and will be f*ck up ... FAI ..take note , LEARN and MOVE ON .
LawrieS View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 7:30am
Here's a thought. Why dont Ireland get a manager with some 'Management' experience. He doesnt have to be Irish, i think with the Kerr Fella and Downs Syndrome, being from the South doesnt help in management. Even someone like Billy Davies from Derby or a Championship side. At least they will know how to organise a side competing at a decent level. If you want to blame anyone lads, blame Jack Charlton. He set you up for this fall in his overachievement, to be honest. You havent really got any decent players and whoever comes in has to get that across to the media. That any qualification will always be an over achievement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic