Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chris Hughton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Originally posted by Boondock Boondock wrote:

Are we back on the Luxembourg are Brazil in disguise chat (except when they play the mighty Belarus, NI, Cyprus, Qatar etc etc etc)?
All joking aside did someone a few posts back mention Neil Lennon ffsDead, sorry maybe it was sarcasm I cant really tell on this thread anymore.
Nope - but they did have two players in the CL last night. Something we can only hope for at the moment.

They weren't playing with serious sides though lets ne fair. There are some duds in the group stages.
Both teams won..against Man U & Shakhtar
LOL 

ManU had 10 men and were atrocious. 

Wow.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Sponsored Links

counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 4:13pm

You're right, it wasn't fair Young boys should ask for a rematch  LOL

Edited by counterlock - 16 Sep 2021 at 4:14pm
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 4:16pm

Are we back on the Luxembourg are Brazil in disguise chat (except when they play the mighty Belarus, NI, Cyprus, Qatar etc etc etc)?
All joking aside did someone a few posts back mention Neil Lennon ffsDead, sorry maybe it was sarcasm I cant really tell on this thread anymore.
Nope - but they did have two players in the CL last night. Something we can only hope for at the moment.

They weren't playing with serious sides though lets ne fair. There are some duds in the group stages.
LOL 

Christ almighty  LOLLOLLOL
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 4:20pm
What nonsense to suggest we shouldn't expect to beat Luxembourg at home. Is that where we are now under Kenny? I could never have dreamed we would fall so far in expectation. Shocking.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

What nonsense to suggest we shouldn't expect to beat Luxembourg at home. Is that where we are now under Kenny? I could never have dreamed we would fall so far in expectation. Shocking.

It's as if all the evidence being put forward has been completely ignored LOL

Look, the world is flat and hasn't it always been and always will be.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 4:34pm

Explain to me why when the following is entirely true should we expect to beat Luxembourg? Because of our reputation? Because we should, so we should? because you just think we should? I certainly want us to have a squad that can beat Luxembourg comfortably, but we dont so we dont! What is nonsensical about the following? 7 Irish players played a combined 369 minutes of PL football at the weekend, 3 played the full 90, one is 33 in October, one is 19. You can bang on about expectations but there's a reality here that shouldnt be that difficult to grasp. We have been going backwards for years, other teams have been progressing, its that simple. We need to arrest the slide before it becomes terminal.

"Since the beginning of 2018 Luxembourg have recorded victories (11) (9 competitive/2 Friendlies) over Azerbaijan x 2, Cyprus, Montenegro, Lithuania, Moldova, San Marino x 2, Malta, Georgia and Ireland

Since the beginning of 2018, Ireland have recorded victories (7) (3 competitive/4 Friendlies) over Andorra, New Zealand, USA, Gibralter x 2, Georgia and Bulgaria

Now, I am certainly not claiming Luxembourg are Brazil - Are we back to the usual trite responses? Ireland have beaten nobody of any note since scraping a 1-0 victory away to Wales in October 2017 (That was a full 3 years before Kenny took charge btw). Luxembourg beat Hungary 2-1 in November 2017.

I dont think some people realise just how big a hole we were/are in - Kenny has begun the process of trying to extricate us from that hole, but it is going to take time. Whether or not he is the right man for the job who knows, but people should at least deal in facts when assessing where we are at and why. CLUE - Its not all Kennys fault and this didnt just happen when he took over the reins."
Idah Dream!
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Explain to me why when the following is entirely true should we expect to beat Luxembourg? Because of our reputation? Because we should, so we should? because you just think we should? I certainly want us to have a squad that can beat Luxembourg comfortably, but we dont so we dont! What is nonsensical about the following? 7 Irish players played a combined 369 minutes of PL football at the weekend, 3 played the full 90, one is 33 in October, one is 19. You can bang on about expectations but there's a reality here that shouldnt be that difficult to grasp. We have been going backwards for years, other teams have been progressing, its that simple. We need to arrest the slide before it becomes terminal.

"Since the beginning of 2018 Luxembourg have recorded victories (11) (9 competitive/2 Friendlies) over Azerbaijan x 2, Cyprus, Montenegro, Lithuania, Moldova, San Marino x 2, Malta, Georgia and Ireland

Since the beginning of 2018, Ireland have recorded victories (7) (3 competitive/4 Friendlies) over Andorra, New Zealand, USA, Gibralter x 2, Georgia and Bulgaria

Now, I am certainly not claiming Luxembourg are Brazil - Are we back to the usual trite responses? Ireland have beaten nobody of any note since scraping a 1-0 victory away to Wales in October 2017 (That was a full 3 years before Kenny took charge btw). Luxembourg beat Hungary 2-1 in November 2017.

I dont think some people realise just how big a hole we were/are in - Kenny has begun the process of trying to extricate us from that hole, but it is going to take time. Whether or not he is the right man for the job who knows, but people should at least deal in facts when assessing where we are at and why. CLUE - Its not all Kennys fault and this didnt just happen when he took over the reins."

Luxembourg have some guys playing at a fairly decent level but also have others distinctly average. The same could be said for us of course but even in our worst times we never stooped to levels of not expecting or at least not questioning why we should not beat Luxembourg at home. The fact we lost that game is even more galling. The performance was extremely poor to boot. Of course we can lament our lack of talent but losing at home to Luxembourg is not acceptable. They are far from world beaters and despite valiant attempts to enhance their reputation on here it still to me is shocking that we are in a place where not beating then is shrugged at 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 5:05pm

LOL 

Sweet divine LOL 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

some people on here drooling from the mouth about bringing in Hughton. hes been sacked at Forest for a reason. basket case or not.

that's sad. all i can say about that.

Why is it sad? You can't say on the one hand Hughton is sh*te cause he was sacked and then ignore Kenny been sacked at other clubs. 

Hughton is a competent enough manager based on previous clubs. The problem with Hughton is he plays the same sh*t as our previous managers all played. f**k that
It would damage this forums' reputation
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 5:30pm

LOL 

LOLLOL
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:13pm

Luxembourg have some guys playing at a fairly decent level but also have others distinctly average. The same could be said for us of course but even in our worst times we never stooped to levels of not expecting or at least not questioning why we should not beat Luxembourg at home. The fact we lost that game is even more galling. The performance was extremely poor to boot. Of course we can lament our lack of talent but losing at home to Luxembourg is not acceptable. They are far from world beaters and despite valiant attempts to enhance their reputation on here it still to me is shocking that we are in a place where not beating then is shrugged at 

I hate to break it to you, but these right now are absolutely our worst times, perhaps ever, but certainly since I was a nipper in the 70s (and we had better players then) and I'm 50 odd now. Right now, we are imo at our lowest ebb, nothing that went before comes close, we have won 3 competitive fixtures since 1 November 2017, 2 against Gibralter, which is basically a Rock and 1 scarcely deserved victory vs Georgia. Kenny is trying to lift us from rock bottom and there are some small signs that he is making progress, but it will be a slow tortuous process. Maybe he's not the right man for the job, but the position we find ourselves in is absolutely not his fault.

Fwiw, I agree that the performance vs Luxembourg was very poor, but expectations were also too high given the respective sides records over the previous 3 years, I'm not trying to enhance their reputation, far from it, I'm simply telling it like it is based on pure hard facts. What I'm trying to do is inject a cold dose of reality in to the conversation. Nobody is shrugging at the position we are in, nobody is happy about it, but the truth is, as borne out by the last 4 years, we have actually sunk to a level where Luxembourg's record over that time period is better than ours. They have more players playing Champions League football and we are at a stage where we only had 4 starters, only 3 of whom completed 90 minutes in the PL at the weekend, all 4 were defenders, one is 33 in October, one is pushing 32 and the other was making his PL debut (green shoots!), We have no players at CL level clubs, bar a #2 goalkeeper and arguably a 2nd choice right wing back. Wishing it wasnt so or "expecting to win games" wont simply make that go away. 

Advocate for whoever you want as the next manager but be clear on one thing, this current Irish squad is no better than Luxembourg no matter the manager. It wasnt better than Georgia in the last campaign either. It will be a long road back but I'm optimistic that we have a lot of good young players coming through - we need to acknowledge how far we have sunk and realise that patience is key if we are going to work our way back up the ladder.
Idah Dream!
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:30pm

I hate to break it to you, but these right now are absolutely our worst times, perhaps ever, but certainly since I was a nipper in the 70s (and we had better players then) and I'm 50 odd now. Right now, we are imo at our lowest ebb, nothing that went before comes close, we have won 3 competitive fixtures since 1 November 2017, 2 against Gibralter, which is basically a Rock and 1 scarcely deserved victory vs Georgia. Kenny is trying to lift us from rock bottom and there are some small signs that he is making progress, but it will be a slow tortuous process. Maybe he's not the right man for the job, but the position we find ourselves in is absolutely not his fault.

Fwiw, I agree that the performance vs Luxembourg was very poor, but expectations were also too high given the respective sides records over the previous 3 years, I'm not trying to enhance their reputation, far from it, I'm simply telling it like it is based on pure hard facts. What I'm trying to do is inject a cold dose of reality in to the conversation. Nobody is shrugging at the position we are in, nobody is happy about it, but the truth is, as borne out by the last 4 years, we have actually sunk to a level where Luxembourg's record over that time period is better than ours. They have more players playing Champions League football and we are at a stage where we only had 4 starters, only 3 of whom completed 90 minutes in the PL at the weekend, all 4 were defenders, one is 33 in October, one is pushing 32 and the other was making his PL debut (green shoots!), We have no players at CL level clubs, bar a #2 goalkeeper and arguably a 2nd choice right wing back. Wishing it wasnt so or "expecting to win games" wont simply make that go away. 

Advocate for whoever you want as the next manager but be clear on one thing, this current Irish squad is no better than Luxembourg no matter the manager. It wasnt better than Georgia in the last campaign either. It will be a long road back but I'm optimistic that we have a lot of good young players coming through - we need to acknowledge how far we have sunk and realise that patience is key if we are going to work our way back up the ladder.
This is a cracking postClap Not one I expect the head in the sand brigade to accept however, but a well worded, well argued and reasoned response. Some of the kenny out lot would do well to appreciate it, if not for the points made as such, but how to actually make a point without spamming threads
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:40pm
Agreed. John Nice has made some excellent points with his posts.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:27pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:32pm

Doherty is arguably third choice at Tottenham. He started against Rennes tonight but I doubt he'd be in consideration if they were in the CL.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:05pm

Doherty is arguably third choice at Tottenham. He started against Rennes tonight but I doubt he'd be in consideration if they were in the CL.
[/QUOTE]

Ah to be fair, I think when Doherty's at it, he's a better attacking full back than Tanganga will ever be. He looks more like an average centre back to me. No idea if the lad they signed from Barca is any good, but Matt's a very good wing back and he played very well over the last 3 despite obvious fitness issues. He is absolutely part of the solution, but he should move on from Spurs if he doesnt get a fair crack.
Idah Dream!
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:16pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:24pm

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Here here

Kenny must have ridden someone you love. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
  Share Topic