Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chris Hughton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:30pm
Again with Chris getting sacked his name would come up as it was on the cards .

I would say the FAI know they have a manager in Kenny but things are not working out as well as they could be , do they stick or twist is their question .

I would say at any one time the FAI have a list of people they would like to come in if things go pear shaped but who can they bring in under budget , sometimes someone who they like becomes avalible maybe this is the time who knows .

One thing for sure is the fans don't pick the next manager the board does .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

[QUOTE=Left foot]
How many clean sheets has Kenny kept in 16 games against primarily mediocre opposition?

We have become soft under him. We lack bite and aggression

In Kenny's 16 games, because of Covid & injuries, he's had to use:

4 different GKs - Randolph, Travers, Bazunu, Kelleher
7 Full Backs/Wing Backs - Coleman, Doherty, Stevens, McClean, O'Shea, Christie, Manning
11 different CB configurations:
Duffy-Egan
Duffy-Long
Duffy-Doherty
Duffy-O'Shea
Coleman-O'Shea-Clark
Coleman-O'Shea-Stevens
Coleman-Duffy-O'Shea
O'Shea-Egan
O'Shea-Duffy-Egan
Omobamidele-Duffy-Egan
Coleman-Duffy-Egan

That's an enormous amount of upheaval, & a different manager wouldn't have come in & waved a magic wand to make Covid go away or heal our broken players.

Edited by Greenie50 - 16 Sep 2021 at 12:46pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 1:00pm
He hasn't had to do half of that. Much of that was just chopping and changing in terms of selection and formation, not Covid or injuries.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

He hasn't had to do half of that. Much of that was just chopping and changing in terms of selection and formation, not Covid or injuries.

Incorrect.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Landsdowne90 Landsdowne90 wrote:

Can someone get me up to speed here.. People say he was foolish to take the Forest job, why is this? Budget constraints? Board level issues?

Never really followed them with interest so from an outsider view I think they have been through a few managers but having had a look at Houghton he appeared to bring in a fair few players pre season so I'd like to think he had time to put his own stamp on things... but looks like he failed to get any sort of result. Are people hiding behind the "basket case" club line?

I dont know if a full c&p of an Athletic article on the behind the scenes turmoil at Forest would be allowed but there were a number of quotes from it given by me in the Stephen Kenny thread yesterday 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

[QUOTE=Left foot]
How many clean sheets has Kenny kept in 16 games against primarily mediocre opposition?

We have become soft under him. We lack bite and aggression

In Kenny's 16 games, because of Covid & injuries, he's had to use:

4 different GKs - Randolph, Travers, Bazunu, Kelleher
7 Full Backs/Wing Backs - Coleman, Doherty, Stevens, McClean, O'Shea, Christie, Manning
11 different CB configurations:
Duffy-Egan
Duffy-Long
Duffy-Doherty
Duffy-O'Shea
Coleman-O'Shea-Clark
Coleman-O'Shea-Stevens
Coleman-Duffy-O'Shea
O'Shea-Egan
O'Shea-Duffy-Egan
Omobamidele-Duffy-Egan
Coleman-Duffy-Egan

That's an enormous amount of upheaval, & a different manager wouldn't have come in & waved a magic wand to make Covid go away or heal our broken players.

All very serviceable combinations. How lucky he was to have such quality options and still he couldn't get a decent result against other stricken countries. Nice OG.

That's an unimpressive attempt to spin what would be a major issue in any team into something that suits your narrative. LOL
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 2:57pm
I posted this in the Kenny thread, but I'm going to post it here as well cos it took me time and I think it's relevant in light of some of the ill consdered criticism Kenny is getting here.

"I did a bit of research just for all the lads who think we should be beating Luxembourg home and away, just because you know, history and all that. Their 3 key players are Seb Thill (27yo MF 38 caps - 3 goals)  who played 90 mins for Sheriff Tiraspol in their CL Group Stage victory over Shakhtar yesterday, Christopher Martins (24yo MF 46 caps- 1 goal) who played very well (I watched the game) in Young Boys 2-1 CL victory over Man United on Tuesday and Gerson Rodrigues (26yo MF/FW - 38 caps - 8 goals) who scored 7 in 38 (inc 2 in CL) for a Dinamo Kiev side who won the domestic double last season. He is now on loan at Troyes in Ligue Un.

Their keeper (42 caps) plays in the top flight in Belgium (as does our own Josh Cullen), while they have others playing in the top flights in Germany, Holland, Austria, the Ukraine (including Thill's younger brother) and one in the English Championship (squad player at Huddersfield)

I dont know whether its football snobbery or whether lads dont think football exists outside of England, but there's no reason on paper why we should automatically be beating such a team. Their players have a solid core of experience with 2 or 3 top quality players (arguably at a higher level than ours), while we have a very young team made up of a hotchpotch of PL squad players, and lads playing in the Championship, SPL and League One. Their FA has also been instrumental in putting together youth development programmes etc while our own has gone bust.

This is not an attempt to make excuses for Kenny but some lads need a serious injection of realism as regards where our squad is at currently - the rest of Europe e.g. Iceland, Luxembourg etc have been quietly progressing for quite some time, while we have been going backwards. It's time to arrest that slide and imo an old school pragmatic manager such as Hughton just isnt going to cut it any more. We might as well just have stuck with Mc Carthy if thats where we are going next."

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying we should stick with Kenny necessarily, he needs a couple of results and performances over the next 3 competitive games (Qatar doesnt count for me as he should be giving lads in and around the fringes a chance in that one). If he doesnt get them, then fine, we go again, but in that circumstance I would prefer a younger manager with fresh ideas and preferably one who is going to look at the big picture for Irish football going forward and try and use his influence to deliver real progress at all levels. I doubt very much whether the likes of an Eddie Howe would be attainable, but he's the type of guy we should be looking towards imo.

Idah Dream!
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I posted this in the Kenny thread, but I'm going to post it here as well cos it took me time and I think it's relevant in light of some of the ill consdered criticism Kenny is getting here.

"I did a bit of research just for all the lads who think we should be beating Luxembourg home and away, just because you know, history and all that. Their 3 key players are Seb Thill (27yo MF 38 caps - 3 goals)  who played 90 mins for Sheriff Tiraspol in their CL Group Stage victory over Shakhtar yesterday, Christopher Martins (24yo MF 46 caps- 1 goal) who played very well (I watched the game) in Young Boys 2-1 CL victory over Man United on Tuesday and Gerson Rodrigues (26yo MF/FW - 38 caps - 8 goals) who scored 7 in 38 (inc 2 in CL) for a Dinamo Kiev side who won the domestic double last season. He is now on loan at Troyes in Ligue Un.

Their keeper (42 caps) plays in the top flight in Belgium (as does our own Josh Cullen), while they have others playing in the top flights in Germany, Holland, Austria, the Ukraine (including Thill's younger brother) and one in the English Championship (squad player at Huddersfield)

I dont know whether its football snobbery or whether lads dont think football exists outside of England, but there's no reason on paper why we should automatically be beating such a team. Their players have a solid core of experience with 2 or 3 top quality players (arguably at a higher level than ours), while we have a very young team made up of a hotchpotch of PL squad players, and lads playing in the Championship, SPL and League One. Their FA has also been instrumental in putting together youth development programmes etc while our own has gone bust.

This is not an attempt to make excuses for Kenny but some lads need a serious injection of realism as regards where our squad is at currently - the rest of Europe e.g. Iceland, Luxembourg etc have been quietly progressing for quite some time, while we have been going backwards. It's time to arrest that slide and imo an old school pragmatic manager such as Hughton just isnt going to cut it any more. We might as well just have stuck with Mc Carthy if thats where we are going next."

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying we should stick with Kenny necessarily, he needs a couple of results and performances over the next 3 competitive games (Qatar doesnt count for me as he should be giving lads in and around the fringes a chance in that one). If he doesnt get them, then fine, we go again, but in that circumstance I would prefer a younger manager with fresh ideas and preferably one who is going to look at the big picture for Irish football going forward and try and use his influence to deliver real progress at all levels. I doubt very much whether the likes of an Eddie Howe would be attainable, but he's the type of guy we should be looking towards imo.

very good post and something I've been trying to say myself over the past few months. We need to somehow get our players playing at Champions League and Europa League level. Starters at Wigan Athletic and Wycombe aren't going to cut it any more
Boondock View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:34pm
Are we back on the Luxembourg are Brazil in disguise chat (except when they play the mighty Belarus, NI, Cyprus, Qatar etc etc etc)?
All joking aside did someone a few posts back mention Neil Lennon ffsDead, sorry maybe it was sarcasm I cant really tell on this thread anymore.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

very good post and something I've been trying to say myself over the past few months. We need to somehow get our players playing at Champions League and Europa League level. Starters at Wigan Athletic and Wycombe aren't going to cut it any more

A key point here is about Luxembourg Iceland even closer to home Scotland and NI progressing past us! People arguing about Kenny are thinking past the sale! I don't think Kenny is the guy long term but equally I am adamant he is doing the right thing and we can't go back now! Hughton would be going back to the end of the O'Neill era/Mick Mack era where we were the worst team in Europe to watch!!

That's got to stop if and when we do replace Kenny we do need someone in that won't be that!  Steve Cooper is another guy that probably wouldn't be attainable but he is the perfect template. 
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:49pm

Luxembourg are  94th and Azerbaijan are 117th in the world rankings

10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Boondock Boondock wrote:

Are we back on the Luxembourg are Brazil in disguise chat (except when they play the mighty Belarus, NI, Cyprus, Qatar etc etc etc)?
All joking aside did someone a few posts back mention Neil Lennon ffsDead, sorry maybe it was sarcasm I cant really tell on this thread anymore.
Nope - but they did have two players in the CL last night. Something we can only hope for at the moment.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Nope - but they did have two players in the CL last night. Something we can only hope for at the moment.

They weren't playing with serious sides though lets ne fair. There are some duds in the group stages.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:57pm

They weren't playing with serious sides though lets ne fair. There are some duds in the group stages.
Both teams won..against Man U & Shakhtar
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:58pm

Since the beginning of 2018 Luxembourg have recorded victories (11) (9 competitive/2 Friendlies) over Azerbaijan x 2, Cyprus, Montenegro, Lithuania, Moldova, San Marino x 2, Malta, Georgia and Ireland

Since the beginning of 2018, Ireland have recorded victories (7) (3 competitive/4 Friendlies) over Andorra, New Zealand, USA, Gibralter x 2, Georgia and Bulgaria

Now, I am certainly not claiming Luxembourg are Brazil - Are we back to the usual trite responses? Ireland have beaten nobody of any note since scraping a 1-0 victory away to Wales in October 2017 (That was a full 3 years before Kenny took charge btw). Luxembourg beat Hungary 2-1 in November 2017.

I dont think some people realise just how big a hole we were/are in - Kenny has begun the process of trying to extricate us from that hole, but it is going to take time. Whether or not he is the right man for the job who knows, but people should at least deal in facts when assessing where we are at and why. CLUE - Its not all Kennys fault and this didnt just happen when he took over the reins.

Idah Dream!
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:58pm

LOL 
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

LOL 

ManU had 10 men and were atrocious. 

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 4:03pm

Luxembourg are  94th and Azerbaijan are 117th in the world rankings

World rankings mean very little as the following illustrates, I'll re-iterate

"Since the beginning of 2018 Luxembourg have recorded victories (11) (9 competitive/2 Friendlies) over Azerbaijan x 2, Cyprus, Montenegro, Lithuania, Moldova, San Marino x 2, Malta, Georgia and Ireland

Since the beginning of 2018, Ireland have recorded victories (7) (3 competitive/4 Friendlies) over Andorra, New Zealand, USA, Gibralter x 2, Georgia and Bulgaria

Now, I am certainly not claiming Luxembourg are Brazil - Are we back to the usual trite responses? Ireland have beaten nobody of any note since scraping a 1-0 victory away to Wales in October 2017 (That was a full 3 years before Kenny took charge btw). Luxembourg beat Hungary 2-1 in November 2017.

I dont think some people realise just how big a hole we were/are in - Kenny has begun the process of trying to extricate us from that hole, but it is going to take time. Whether or not he is the right man for the job who knows, but people should at least deal in facts when assessing where we are at and why. CLUE - Its not all Kennys fault and this didnt just happen when he took over the reins."
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
  Share Topic