FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chris Hughton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 17>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:06am
Chris Hughton and Neil Lennon are currently available. Both have laudable records as players who have won trophies and many international caps and as managers who have done the business at clubs such as Newcastle and Brighton in the PL, in Hughton's case, and Celtic including the quadruple treble in Lennon's. Hughton is also former Ireland assistant manager back in Mick's earlier days. Both have been unfairly maligned on this forum-look at their career records compared to Kenny's and the problems they faced at Forest and Celtic were largely down to others. I think we'd all rejoice if Kenny turns it round but if Ireland cannot start winning games then they will inevitably look to experienced men like these. As has been noted, the FAI can't afford the expensive big fish any more.
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:01am
How much was he making at Forest? 

What makes people think he would give up club football? Even when he coached ireland he was double jobbing with his day job.

Even if Kenny was in the firing line, I dont think it's a forgone conclusion that Hughton would want the job at all. I can imagine he still backs himself over in England
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:59am
At this point in time, with all the transitioning of players into the senior team. I just don't see Hughton (or anyone for that matter) turning us into a better team. 

Maybe hughton could set us up to be harder to beat or more dangerous from set pieces. But he's not going to flip a switch and have idah score goals for us. Make the midfield suddenly dominate games. Etc.

Our players are struggling badly at club level, they're not getting games.

Molumby still hasn't kicked a ball, hendrick, hourihane are pretty much in the same boat.

Idah, connolly, parrott are exciting players but it could be years before we see them make us competitive.

All pretty much first team now.

If Hughton comes in and we still can't win then what? Sack the manager for a new one... 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:57am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I'd be disappointed if the powers that be got twitchy thumbs as a result of this decision at Forest. Its not like would be headhunting Hughton at a point when he is flying high.

If he was flying high we wouldn't have a hope of getting him. Even now he might be out of range for us. But he'd be a massive upgrade on the current manager at the same time so it's easy to see why there might be interest on our side.

And if Hughton failed to get results with one of our weakest and youngest squad in most of our living memories what then? sack him and get someone else in again?
I love beer gardens
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:45am

I'd be disappointed if the powers that be got twitchy thumbs as a result of this decision at Forest. Its not like would be headhunting Hughton at a point when he is flying high.

Yeah I would be in favour of Kenny seeing out the campaign and then see.  He may turn things around.  I wouldn't be in favour of Hughton.  Someone progressive to oversee the work Kenny started would be my choice. 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:45am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

some people on here drooling from the mouth about bringing in Hughton. hes been sacked at Forest for a reason. basket case or not.

that's sad. all i can say about that.
I love beer gardens
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:40am

some people on here drooling from the mouth about bringing in Hughton. hes been sacked at Forest for a reason. basket case or not.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:38am

If he was flying high we wouldn't have a hope of getting him. Even now he might be out of range for us. But he'd be a massive upgrade on the current manager at the same time so it's easy to see why there might be interest on our side.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:30am
I really don't think our solution lies in replacing a manager with the lowest win % in our history, who is currently bringing through a host of young players. with a manager who guided his most recent club to their worst league start in 108 years and whose team was in the bottom 3 of the EFL last season for goals scored.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:24am

This is what happens when you donn't get results. Yet Kenny can go on losing games and its ok?

I'd take Eddie Howe but wouldn't be excited about Hughton.

How long is Howe out of management now? 1 year? 2 years?  He'll end up like Curbishley if he's not careful.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:23am
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:18am
I love beer gardens
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:20am
Hughton has been sacked by Forest. Best case scenario now for Kenny would be if he is rehired quickly, or publicly states that he doesn't want to work in international football/take the Ireland job. Otherwise his availability will continue to overshadow Kenny between now and the end of the campaign.

Steven Reid now in temporary charge of Forest, though he may also be moved on once a permanent successor to Hughton is found.

Edited by You Tell Me - 16 Sep 2021 at 9:24am
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 11:55pm
sh*t football and sh*t results. Wow so exciting. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 11:33pm
Hughton would be an absolutely pathetic appointment. Hes a poor mans Mick McCarthy.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:54pm
@B6 6HE

Strike one. Anymore nonsense like that and off you go.

Edited by Sham157 - 15 Sep 2021 at 10:54pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:25pm
I'm a fan of hughton and was surprised to see him leave Brighton but you have to say he's not exactly been in demand from better clubs than forest.

His market value as a manager seems pretty low and other than Brighton doesn't seem able to hold onto a job for more than a year.

He always seems to start off really well with teams but not really maintain momentum.

Would he be a good fit for ireland? Maybe. I can't help thinking he'd be more of the same to be honest.

Personally I'd rather a young up and coming manager with a point to prove rather than a 63 year old trying to stay in the game.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

If Hughton (or any other potential successor to Kenny) isn't willing to move full time to Ireland, they shouldn't be considered for the job. No more free dinners. The managers remit needs to extend beyond the senior team. They need to be a full time stakeholder in the development of grass roots Irish football too. 

Do they though? I'd rather they just put all their focus on the senior team - the development of grass roots Irish football is probably a separate full time role by itself.

There's possibly a role for a technical director type appointment separate to the manager's job to work on the development of the game in Ireland if we could afford it (we probably can't). For all his flaws as senior team manager Stephen Kenny would be a great fit for that kind of position I think. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 17>
  Share Topic