You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Formula 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 9:41am
Originally posted by packiesglove packiesglove wrote:

don't even class this as a "sport", all about who has the best car 

its motor sport, of course the car is going to be an important factor

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

the car is 95% of the measure of success Shoco, the best car wins it normally, therfore its a manufacturing/engineering award, not a sportThumbs Up
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 10:01am
Jaysis, Packiesgloves posting about something that isn't Chelsea or Harry Redknapp
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 10:17am

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

the car is 95% of the measure of success Shoco, the best car wins it normally, therfore its a manufacturing/engineering award, not a sportThumbs Up

you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 12:24pm

Only to an extent, in any case, the teams have 2 (identical, unless you believe in conspiracy theories) cars, so even if one team is dominant, there will be at least 2 drivers fighting it out. The driver does make a difference, Senna was able to challenge Prost in 93 for example, winning 5 races in a car that was at best the 3rd best car on the grid. Schumacher's first 2 titles in 94 and 95 were achieved when Williams had the best car, not his Bennetton outfit. 

Frentzen achieved 3rd place in 98 largely through his own brilliance in that season, rather than that of the Jordan car he was driving. In the same year, Irvine was 2nd to Hakkinen, but had Schumacher stayed injury free, I don't think Mika would have been world champion. 

Raikonnen's  title in '07 for Ferrari was achieved in a year McLaren won the constructors title, this was reversed the year after with Hamilton winning for McLaren when Ferrari won the constructors title. 

Car plays a significant part alright, but if you think all the drivers are roughly equal, you are mistaken, remember this is a sport where things are measured in thousandths of seconds, not even seconds. That is not taking the dreaded ' strategy' type races that dominated the last decade into account either, where races between closely matched cars were decided on pitlane strategy and tyre/fuel stops. 

Lost interest meself when Jordan expired, but going on testing so far, this looks like it could be a very close season between the top 3 or 4 teams. In any case, F1 has never claimed that all cars/drivers are equally competitive,  much like you don't watch football and expect, say, Norwich, to challenge Man United/Man City/Chelsea/Spurs for the league title next year. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by soccerc soccerc wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Why was Georgie dressed like a tyre when interviewing Button?

New threads to make her look slick....................

edited after Stoked up quoted post , damned old timers fingers on iphone

LOL 

Lost interest in F1 when Jordan left. Might take an interest in it this year after seeing how close a couple of the teams have been in testing.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 11:58pm
Spanish GP to alternate between Barcelona and Valencia from next season according to Bernie Eccleston
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 12:53pm
Heard them practicing in Albert park today. It's about 2kms from my house but sounded like it was right outside my door - the noise us unreal
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Heard them practicing in Albert park today. It's about 2kms from my house but sounded like it was right outside my door - the noise us unreal

The picnic goers wont like that. Why dont they practice on the racetrack?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 12:58pm
watched that senna documentary , was fantastic, racing is muck now compared to those days
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 10:32pm
Practice on Setanta Ireland tonight/tomorrow morning at 01:25

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 10:49pm
Used to love this intro once this came on you knew it was only 5-10 mins to the start Clap

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 11:06pm
classic dennis Clap

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 11:36pm

one of my mates is a fanatic F1 nut.he knows every aspect of every car in F1.aerodynamics,downforce etc etc.trust me lads he s a genius on this.i got into F1 years ago but i know nothing technical or drivers habits or anything like that.but lads saying its about having the fastest car isn't an accurate analysis because i asked this myself as a clueless prawn sandwich F1 fan.if you look at it like this: the best drivers will drive for the best teams with the fastest cars which is no different than the best footballers playing for the best teams in football.its natural selection.the red bull car is so fast i think the jury is still out on vettel as a truly great driver as he s fantastic at qualifying but he s never been truly tested having to climb up the grid on many occasions.schumacher wasnt as good a qualifier but he was the best racer in the way he could pick the right time to overtake.i havnt seen vettel tested like that because thanks to adrian newey whos a genius at designing a car that is unbelievably quick so his qualification times are excellent but dont get me wrong hes won two world titles and he s a fantasticly disciplined racer who rarely fcuks up.

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 12:53am
Vettel is the real deal alright. He did plenty overtaking in his Toro Rosso days (and won their first, and to date, only Grand Prix as well). Youngest scorer of a championship point, youngest pole position winner, (while with Torro Rosso, not the Red Bull outfit, a similar car with Ferrari, as opposed to Renault engines) youngest GP race winner, youngest world champion. 

Bear in mind that he was not racing against WC novices either, he had 3 world champions for company in Hamilton, Button and Alonso, the latter 2 being vastly more experienced, as was (is) his own teammate Webber, no slouch himself. Not invincible yet, and still capable of errors, but his youth and speed ensures that Schumacher's 7 titles are at least a realistic target for him, it was not that long ago nobody could ever see that being beaten. 

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 1:11am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Vettel is the real deal alright. He did plenty overtaking in his Toro Rosso days (and won their first, and to date, only Grand Prix as well). Youngest scorer of a championship point, youngest pole position winner, (while with Torro Rosso, not the Red Bull outfit, a similar car with Ferrari, as opposed to Renault engines) youngest GP race winner, youngest world champion. 

Bear in mind that he was not racing against WC novices either, he had 3 world champions for company in Hamilton, Button and Alonso, the latter 2 being vastly more experienced, as was (is) his own teammate Webber, no slouch himself. Not invincible yet, and still capable of errors, but his youth and speed ensures that Schumacher's 7 titles are at least a realistic target for him, it was not that long ago nobody could ever see that being beaten. 

Good post deise. he obviously proved himself good or fast enough to get on the red bull team in the first place but ive yet  to see him in a tight championship race in certain races how he reacts if he s behind a bit in the grid.he s german so he s definately going to have the right mentality and he loves schumacher.my favourite driver is actually hamilton even though i cannot stand his media pc sh*te.he s one of the bravest drivers i ve seen and will always take a risk in overtaking especially on tight courses such as monaco LOL when theres fcuk all chance of an overtake. button the prick who plays it safe the whole time drives me bats.
is there a driver deise you re up for yourself?
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 2:35am
Possibly heading to this on Sunday depending on the hangover. Dont really have any interest in the sport since Eddie Irvine retired. Will be a tremendous session however Thumbs Up
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 12:21am
@irishmufc - Much like a Denis and a few posters mentioned, my real interest left with Jordan (about 2 years before the team of the same name that had nothing to do with Eddie) expired. Was a fairly big fan alright, probably would have gone most of the 90's to mid 2000's without missing a race on TV, even the early morning ones. 

Even made the Australian GP in 2001 when I lived there, a great weekend in Melbourne, even if you hate F1 and motor racing. Anyone who has been to one will tell you the same, but nothing really prepares you for the noise. 

As regards todays lot, would have always liked Alonso since his Minardi days (always my 2nd favourite F1 team, and gave a hell of a lot of lads their first F1 drive, like Jordan ), and he is probably the most complete driver out there of the current bunch, even if qualifying is not his greatest strength. Have little time for Ferrari though, as a whole bunch of rules and regulations were changed over the years just to keep them competitive at a time they were not (despite having the biggest budget) in the 90's. The introduction of fuel stops being one of them. (thankfully gone now)

Hamilton is probably the best to watch alright, he does some crazy stuff, but I think he is lacking judgement under pressure. Which is why I have re evaluated my opinion of Button, I never rated him at Renault or Williams, or even at Brawn, where he more or less had the title won at the halfway stage and did not look at all convincing in the 2nd half of '09 when the rest of the teams began to catch up. But last season, he was a better race driver than Hamilton (at that level, the ability to churn out endless consistent fast laps, rather than erratic very fast ones is Key), to be honest , I was surprised, but McClaren seem to see him as their No 1 (to an extent, at least they persevere with their excellent tradition of letting the 2 drivers race to a certain point of the season, unlike one of those outfits in red) and the bookies have him favourite for this tears title. 

Would tip Alonso meself, Ferrari are complaining their car is not as fast as they thought it would be, which can only mean it is actually faster in Ferrari logic. Or maybe they tell the truth, who knows. 

Of the rest, I dont know much about Torro Rosso's latest hotshots, but think Rosberg (Mercedes) is underrated, he thrashed Mick last season in racing and qualifying, and could be a fella to step up if the car is competitive. Paul Di Resta for Force India is another good driver, and could surprise a few this year. 

Might tune in for first corner Sat night/Sun morning................

Edit; Massa and Kubica were 2 of my current favourites, but Massa has never regained the outright speed since his crash, while Kubica is lucky to be alive at all, pity for the 2 of them, they had something that most of the rest (bar the top lads) don't. 

Edited by deise316 - 17 Mar 2012 at 12:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic