You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Football/Politics/Reality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Football/Politics/Reality
    Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 12:04pm
I continue to be baffled at how many people continue to turn a blind eye or every more so offer blind loyalty to clubs and owners....

Chelsea: Plenty of Chelsea fans sticking up for Abrahmovich saying he has done well for the club and shouldn't be punished. Have seen some doing vox pops this morning claiming he isn't involved in politics

Newcastle: Many fans following the lead of Eddie Howe and saying they "just want to talk about football". Let's all just ignore the inconvenient dead bodies. 

Man City: A sizeable bunch not having any talk of the sportswashing and rule bending going on there. And a bunch going after the journalists who highlight this

Qatar: Same as Newcastle.

I do understand that we probably are all hypocrites to some greater or lesser extent but some things should be too obvious to ignore. 
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 12:24pm
Celtic fans get a ban from UEFA for waving Palestine flags, yet Ukrainean flags are allowed when they're being attacked. 

Double standards
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 12:46pm
Football is rotten. Dirty money and sportwashing everywhere. It’s probably only the lower levels of football that aren’t corrupted in someway. FIFA was set up with good intentions but it’s an absolute joke of an organisation with corruption and links to despots rife. Change needs to happen starting at the top and work it’s way down. I cannot see it happening. I hope it will. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Football is rotten. Dirty money and sportwashing everywhere. It’s probably only the lower levels of football that aren’t corrupted in someway. FIFA was set up with good intentions but it’s an absolute joke of an organisation with corruption and links to despots rife. Change needs to happen starting at the top and work it’s way down. I cannot see it happening. I hope it will. 
I would disagree somewhat on this - Fans can be powerful when focused and mobilsed. 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I would disagree somewhat on this - Fans can be powerful when focused and mobilsed. 

Possibly. Fans can make change happen as we saw with the Super League but the vast majority of fans are happy for their football club to be a billionaires/Dictatorial states plaything. 

As You Were
Three in a row
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 1:47pm
Sportswashing has been a big thing for years now, every league in the world has it. Unfortunately most clubs will happily take the owner with the most money, which invariably means some dark side.

Most football clubs these days make quite a big profit, definitely in the big leagues. the lads that bought Newcastle aren't doing it as a hobby to throw money at it (as it seemed early Abramovic seemed to be), they're seeing it as an investment. They also invest in Starbucks, Disney, Pfizer and anything else that'll get them a return. I really don't see how you can stop it to be honest. Would the premier league really instill a "no foreign owners" rule, to prevent this? And fear losing that money to European clubs?
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Most football clubs these days make quite a big profit, definitely in the big leagues.

No they don't.

the lads that bought Newcastle aren't doing it as a hobby to throw money at it (as it seemed early Abramovic seemed to be), they're seeing it as an investment.

They're doing it to launder their public image. They won't ever see a return on their investment. You only have to look at the Arabs at city to see that. No matter what sort of creative accounting they come up with, they'll never see a return on their investment either.

The Premier League don't need a "no foreign owners" policy, they just need to implement their "fit and proper" assessment. It's gone too far in the wrong direction now, there's no coming back. Eventually football will eat itself.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Celtic fans get a ban from UEFA for waving Palestine flags, yet Ukrainean flags are allowed when they're being attacked. 

Double standards

Israel flags too.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

Most football clubs these days make quite a big profit, definitely in the big leagues.

No they don't.

the lads that bought Newcastle aren't doing it as a hobby to throw money at it (as it seemed early Abramovic seemed to be), they're seeing it as an investment.

They're doing it to launder their public image. They won't ever see a return on their investment. You only have to look at the Arabs at city to see that. No matter what sort of creative accounting they come up with, they'll never see a return on their investment either.

The Premier League don't need a "no foreign owners" policy, they just need to implement their "fit and proper" assessment. It's gone too far in the wrong direction now, there's no coming back. Eventually football will eat itself.

Here's the thing though, those that were happy turning a blind eye will then be happy to complain at how bad these people were etc once things go badly wrong.

Reminds of a certain sporting "administrator" who some people were more than happy to enable even though it was obvious to everyone that there were questionable actions being carried out, as long as they were being looked after themselves. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 5:07pm

The laundering public image and sportswashing is a journalistic notion, I really don't think they are doing it for the good PR.

They're doing it because they know if they can turn Newcastle into a Champions League team, the recurring revenue and future sale value of Newcastle is far higher
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 5:16pm

The laundering public image and sportswashing is a journalistic notion, I really don't think they are doing it for the good PR.

They're doing it because they know if they can turn Newcastle into a Champions League team, the recurring revenue and future sale value of Newcastle is far higher

Of course they are. If they can make money out of doing it then all the better. 
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 7:42pm
The supporters of these clubs know what is happening and how they are being used but it's very hard to say no to the money and give up on the club you support because of who the owner is. 
I've seen it starting at Newcastle over the last six months and it's so easy to get swept up in it. Better players being bought, stadium being cleaned up, the living wage introduced for all staff, funding for the women's team etc. 
The Saudi owner is a awful man with a horrific human rights record but Newcastle fans are only looking at what he's doing for the club and how much better than Mike Ashley he has behaved and treated the club. It's the premier league and fa that shouldn't allow owners like this buy clubs.
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

The supporters of these clubs know what is happening and how they are being used but it's very hard to say no to the money and give up on the club you support because of who the owner is.

I don't know about that.

Putin is probably the most hated man in the World right now. If he was to buy Chelsea, do you think he'd be welcomed with open arms cos he has deep pockets?

Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 10:36am

I don’t think Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia have any interest in making any money from this. It’s sportwashing and a vanity project. The money these lads have is incomprehensible. Dropping a couple of billion is nothing to them.

Telling that the UAE abstained from the UN resolution yesterday.

As You Were
Three in a row
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

I've seen it starting at Newcastle over the last six months and it's so easy to get swept up in it. Better players being bought, stadium being cleaned up, the living wage introduced for all staff, funding for the women's team etc. 
The Saudi owner is a awful man with a horrific human rights record but Newcastle fans are only looking at what he's doing for the club and how much better than Mike Ashley he has behaved and treated the club. It's the premier league and fa that shouldn't allow owners like this buy clubs.

Not with fans of all clubs it isn't. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 11:18am

I don’t think Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia have any interest in making any money from this. It’s sportwashing and a vanity project. The money these lads have is incomprehensible. Dropping a couple of billion is nothing to them.

It's the PIF that bought Newcastle. Have a look at the rest of their portfolio, they own bits of Mariott, Twitter, Facebook, Starbucks, Disney, Live Nation, Boeing. I'm sure there's an element of sport washing out of this, but they don't seem like the type that are just throwing away a bunch of cash just so they can hang out with Neymar
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 11:25am

It's the PIF that bought Newcastle. Have a look at the rest of their portfolio, they own bits of Mariott, Twitter, Facebook, Starbucks, Disney, Live Nation, Boeing. I'm sure there's an element of sport washing out of this, but they don't seem like the type that are just throwing away a bunch of cash just so they can hang out with Neymar
Buying Newcastle is totally about sportswashing. The money they could make after any sale would be pocket change in comparison to what they already have!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 12:33pm

Marriot, Boeing and Live Nation don’t have any sort of emotional attachment to them. They’re not going to be in the Champions League. Nobody cares about them. They are solid financial investments. Football is not a wise financial investment. Hardly anyone makes money from it, apart for the players. People will happily abandon their principles if someone spends £500M on a new team that they support.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic