You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Football has lost the common touch article - IT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Football has lost the common touch article - IT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Football has lost the common touch article - IT
    Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 6:39am
Does this kind of article get your goat up or do ye just ignore it?
It maddens me reading it. The player's he talks about don't play for the Republic. May be some people think there is some truth in it.

Sponsored Links

soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soccerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 6:50am
Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

Does this kind of article get your goat up or do ye just ignore it?
It maddens me reading it. The player's he talks about don't play for the Republic. May be some people think there is some truth in it.

It's an opinion piece and is not far off IMHO - Someone stole our game, by our game, I mean 'working class'  or in today's marketing parlance 'D' .

That theft  starts at schoolboy playing level right and goes right to the topWink
FiremanDan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiremanDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 6:52am
I think he has some valid points but I don't think it's a particularly well written article.

For a while now I have felt that football has become "removed" from the ordinary punter but as to who is to blame is difficult to know. I think the players themselves often live in a bubble and many seem to forget their roots but then again they didn't ask to be paid the ridiculously large sums of money they are getting. That said I think their on field and off field behaviour as a result of their wealth has become self obsessed and conceited.

I think the ordinary punter can identify much more easily with GAA players and to a degree Rugby players as well. I think as an extension to this some fans have become disillusioned with football and this is all compounded by the fact that many of us can't afford match tickets as easily as we used to.

I have felt that International Football has been dying for a few years now and it most certainly doesn't command the position it once did even just 20 years ago as the sponsors and the governing bodies think the Champions League is where it is all at and bell-ends like Blatter leave a sour taste in the mouth when it comes to the International game.

I've probably wandered off the point now but I think International football will never regain the romance and excitement it had in the past when EVERYTHING was about playing for your country and for those of us not fortunate enough to do so, supporting was the next best thing.
Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 6:53am
Trust me when we qualify they'll all come back. Spectators that is. Is this chap having a laugh? Rugby has found the common touch?? €100 for a standard ticket for a friendly rugby match against southern hemsphere teams.  The reason theres no crowds is ultimately fashion. Ok the price of tickets is too dear but for the rugby they are way more expensive.  They want to support a successful/fashionable team and we arent right now. Dont know how Irish Rugby Team are considered successful. Rugby has 8 decent teams at best in the whole world. The rest are uncompetitive. A grand slam in 2009 meant beating a sh*te Scottish, Italian and England Team. Because of the year they got france at home and won. Never would have won that away. Good game to finish in Wales. So to sum up beat 1 decent team at home, 1 mediocre team away.  Crashed and burned in 2007 world cup.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 8:12am
sl*gging the rugby team off Is irrelevant. All the bandwagoners will be back when we qualify
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 8:54am
A flawed article by Johnny Watterson.

Certainly, football isnt at its most popular right now. But the public perception of Stephen Ireland and Jermaine Pennant has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Not fair of JW to lamp in James McCarthy with those two, but then the whole article is a subtle swipe at football, so why wouldnt he use the opportunity to try and diminish James McCarthy, the current white hope for fans of the Irish team.

Trapattoni's "cultural distance from the terrace" is a ridiculous statement.
Steve Staunton was Dundalk through and through but it doesn't mean any of us want him to manage our team.

The current set of Irish players are a good bunch of lads. They want to play for their country. They always give every last bit of energy to the cause. They acknowlege our support in the Aviva and abroad. Anyone who doubts their sincerity should recall their faces after the defeat in Paris that night.

The connection between us fans and the actual team is what counts, its nothing to do with Stephen Ireland or anyone else outside of the team.

People on here mentioning the bandwagoners are correct, the Ireland play-off with France generated huge excitement around the team again.
The bandwagoners will be back again.

Rugby can enjoy its moment in the spotlight. But a lot of the current starting XV are into their 30's now and in the next 12 months or so there will be big changes. The golden era of Irish rugby is on the wane. The World Cup will be their swansong, after that the talent coming through isn't at the very high level of the current team.

The future of the Irish footbal team, however, looks very promising indeed.

P.S FiremanDan, dont write off international football yet. Yes, the Champions League is massive, and the World Cup was poor, but an exciting tournament next year in Poland and Ukraine will show that it still holds all the aces. If Ireland qualify, you'll see how much it still means in this country at least.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
ThrowInDelap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 9:14am

Some of the things that stuck out for me,

"Comparisons to rugby are unfair to both sports but the current reality, something incomprehensible 15 years ago, is that the one-time elite sport maybe more popular than football"

This line reminded me of something The Gerk said a few weeks ago, in that it is now "fashionable"  to follow the Irish Rugby team, mainly due to the recent success. I think we all know people who have developed a faux interest in rugby in recent years. Something I've noticed around town is there's more kids wearing Ireland rugby jerseys than football, in fact, I rarely see any children wearing the international jersey. Could it be that some parents don't want their children to be seen in a soccer jersey in case they're associated with the working class riff raff? As TJ said, they'll be back WHEN qualification comes around and supporting Irish football is back "in vogue".

Also, a "one time elite sport", has it been diluted that much? Is it played in more public schools for instance?

I agree with Rolo, it’s ridiculous blaming Trapattonis “cultural distance” from the terrace as the reason people are staying away.

“Can you ever see him appearing on the Late Late Show and winning the audience in the same way as the gruff and uncomplicated Jack Charlton did?”

He did appear on the LLS last October, what was he expecting though. The man can’t speak English, he was hardly going to tell a humorous and charming anecdote about the time he went fishing down in Kenmare.

If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 9:16am
Well said rolo....I don't think international football is dead yet either. I can actually see it making a huge comeback in future years as people tire of the same clubs winning all the competitions. International teams tend to go in cycles. Yes the same few countries do win competitions but others come along with a goldn generation every few years and it seems a much more organic thing than clubs teams just buying up the best talent. The only fear for the international game I have are the two terrible locations chosen for the World Cups in 2018 & 2022.
With regards to rugby becoming the common game I don't really buy it. Most young people in this country grow up playing football of some sort at some time and we understand it in a way an awful lot of new rugby fans will never really understand their game as most never have played it.
FiremanDan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiremanDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 10:17am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

A flawed article by Johnny Watterson.

Certainly, football isnt at its most popular right now. But the public perception of Stephen Ireland and Jermaine Pennant has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Not fair of JW to lamp in James McCarthy with those two, but then the whole article is a subtle swipe at football, so why wouldnt he use the opportunity to try and diminish James McCarthy, the current white hope for fans of the Irish team.

Trapattoni's "cultural distance from the terrace" is a ridiculous statement.
Steve Staunton was Dundalk through and through but it doesn't mean any of us want him to manage our team.

The current set of Irish players are a good bunch of lads. They want to play for their country. They always give every last bit of energy to the cause. They acknowlege our support in the Aviva and abroad. Anyone who doubts their sincerity should recall their faces after the defeat in Paris that night.

The connection between us fans and the actual team is what counts, its nothing to do with Stephen Ireland or anyone else outside of the team.

People on here mentioning the bandwagoners are correct, the Ireland play-off with France generated huge excitement around the team again.
The bandwagoners will be back again.

Rugby can enjoy its moment in the spotlight. But a lot of the current starting XV are into their 30's now and in the next 12 months or so there will be big changes. The golden era of Irish rugby is on the wane. The World Cup will be their swansong, after that the talent coming through isn't at the very high level of the current team.

The future of the Irish footbal team, however, looks very promising indeed.

P.S FiremanDan, dont write off international football yet. Yes, the Champions League is massive, and the World Cup was poor, but an exciting tournament next year in Poland and Ukraine will show that it still holds all the aces. If Ireland qualify, you'll see how much it still means in this country at least.

Well said, but I do fear for the International game tbh.

I guess I just wish we could recapture some of the magic of 1988 and 1990 but I think that is lost forever. There was an innocence and a sense of wonderment in Ireland about those 2 tournaments that will never be repeated. It's a pity really because I think at the time we were a prouder nation, we were struggling economically as we are now, but we hadn't spurned the opportunities that we have just spurned (or let's be honest that have been spurned on our behalf - but that's an argument for a different thread).

I think we had great dreams and visions back then, we had far more romance and humour about us I think, we weren't as cynical as we are now. Or if we were, the cynicism was tinged with far more humour and sarcasm than there is now. We could identify with the players more I think. Although they were well paid at the time, they still seemed like ordinary enough punters. Sure they use to mingle with the plebs regularly in places like Gibneys, Tomango's and Rumours etc. Even those that initially had "tentative" Irish connections to begin with were heroes to us all, because well all had brothers, sisters, uncles and aunties that had to emigrate to make a life for themselves and these players were symbols of our emigrant nation.

I'm wandering way off the point now but I miss those times, when we would all huddle around one TV at home, or squint at the then "large" screen TV's in the local pub and EVERYONE was behind it. It pains me to hear so called football fans in work or friends of mine sl*g off the Irish team yet they would sooner go to the pub to watch an English club, os spend a few hundred Euro to travel and see them. Yet bandwagoners being as they are, they will happily jump on this self same wagon should the occasion of a major finals arrive.

Fingers crossed we get to Euro 2012 and restore some pride in this little country of ours. Despite its flawsl, football is still far and away the World's biggest game and a great vehicle to represent ourselves as a sporting nation that often boxes above it's weight, and as a fair but proud and partisan group of supporters.

(Jaysus I fairly wandered there all the same!) 
Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

Tweetering View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tweetering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 11:30am
I think its just that the tickets are too expensive. The tickets for the 6 nations are cheaper. You can get a ticket at the  top for 20 euro, or the standard ticket for 30 for the 6 nations.

The ticket bundling was stupid.

It was a tuesday night. Rugby is on at the weekends.

The attendance for Uruguay was 25,611
The attendance for Macedonia was 30,000
Given the recession and the price of tickets and all I don't think these are as bad as has been made out.

Quote Is it the lack of sparkle, the superstar wilderness that apart from O’Shea, Duff, Given and captain Keane the Irish team has become.

As for this, I would argue that someone like McGeady has arrived at the sparkly superstar gates.

But otherwise I think that we have had a bad few years since 2002 with not qualifying for anything, and not having the quality of players that we had in the 80s and early 90s, so its natural that football loses some of the bandwagon fans. In comparison rugby is going through a great period with quality players. These things come and go, and it might be that in some years from now the Rugby's quality might have waned again while our footballers emerge again. Hopefully we can have it all, but we needn't be so worried I think about these natural ebss and flows.

Also as someone who goes to the theatre regularly, I can tell you that in the Abbey or other playhouses, if there is a small attendance, the people in the cheap seats at the back  are all allowed to move forward just before the start.

This should be done in the Aviva too, so say 30 mins before the match or something, they will know how many tickets are sold, and allow people to all move down together and it will both look better for the cameras, and be more atmospheric as people sit closer together.

Edited by Tweetering - 03 Apr 2011 at 11:33am
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 1:40pm
Read it earlier and was getting a bit p!ssed off too but this is a great line:

'Pennant and Ireland....their attitude reeks of a certain type of vacuous Premiership privilege, agent interference, arrogance, stupidity and little sense of where they belong, or, what is valuable.'

<insert witty comment>
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 2:05pm
Agree that most footballers are t**sers and out of touch with normality. Most premiership footballers seem obsessed with money, cars, and bimbo wives. They dont seem to play for pride, love of the game. They play as a means of acquiring material possessions.

Thankfully most Irish footballers have retained a modicum of decency. I like down to earth type lads such as Duffer, McGeady, Given, Kilbane etc.  Theres one or two in the irish team i wouldnt be gone on though.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Tweetering Tweetering wrote:

I think its just that the tickets are too expensive. The tickets for the 6 nations are cheaper. You can get a ticket at the  top for 20 euro, or the standard ticket for 30 for the 6 nations.

I don't know where you saw those prices, the cheapest ticket I saw for the England game was €80!
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 6:34pm

Are ya for real, thats nowhere near the price of the tickets. The standard tickets started at €65 for the two six nations matches. There was maybe 1 or 2 thousand tickets (restricted view) available at €50.

Category 4: €50 x 2,500 in East and West Upper Stands/Touchlines (50% price reduction)

Category 3: €65 x 5,000 in East/West/South Upper Stands and portions of North Stand (35% price reduction)

Category 2: €80 x 4,500 in East/West/South and portions of North Stand (20% price reduction)

Category 1: €90 x13,000 in East/West /South Stands (10% price reduction)

Premium Level Tickets: 3,200 will continue to be available for sale at €125

Edited by Ireland4ever - 03 Apr 2011 at 6:37pm
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 3:46am
Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

Are ya for real, thats nowhere near the price of the tickets. The standard tickets started at €65 for the two six nations matches. There was maybe 1 or 2 thousand tickets (restricted view) available at €50.

Category 4: €50 x 2,500 in East and West Upper Stands/Touchlines (50% price reduction)

Category 3: €65 x 5,000 in East/West/South Upper Stands and portions of North Stand (35% price reduction)

Category 2: €80 x 4,500 in East/West/South and portions of North Stand (20% price reduction)

Category 1: €90 x13,000 in East/West /South Stands (10% price reduction)

Premium Level Tickets: 3,200 will continue to be available for sale at €125

The vast majority of tickets my club got were 80 or 90 euro incl tickets behind the posts.

There are some 65 euro tickets.  Didn't know of the 50 euro ones and kids tickets were very limited and 30 euro.

Football tickets are much cheaper than rugby tickets.

In reality it is down to the "event junkie" culture. We could double our prices and sellout  a playoff v England.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic