You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Football Grounds - Reviews, Tips, Info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Football Grounds - Reviews, Tips, Info
    Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 9:46am
Maybe I am too full of my own self importance but had a really positive experience yesterday (apart from the result and Fabinho trying to snap Ferguson in two) so thought it might be useful to start a thread with ground info in case anybody else visits grounds and wants to pass on how they found it

Amex Stadium

Getting there: Dead easy. Train into Brighton station, queue for about ten mins for a train which then leaves you at the ground in 5 minutes

Stadium itself: Great Design, modern but with the fan in mind and great view from the seats and queues not to bad under the stands.

Staff, Stewards, coppers: All fantastic from start to finish. People saying hello when you are queuing to get in, asking how your day is. Couldn't have been more helpful and it actually felt really refreshing to not be treated like we were an inconvenience. Best experience in the regard for years

Pints: In the ground they were reasonable at £4.90. All bars in the way end stayed open after the game to allow people to stagger their queuing for the train back. And all the bars in the North stand also open after the game and away fans are welcome to go in there and join the home fans for a beer. Again, a refreshing attitute.
In town we were told that there was no designated away pub as away fans are welcome everywhere. Not quite true as the bar right across the road from the station wouldn't let in away fans but somebody directed me around the corner to the Prince Albert where I could watch the end of the Wrexham game.

All in all, a stadium I'm be very happy to go back to if it wasn't for the fact that their team are a bit too good!

Edited by Borussia - 30 Jan 2023 at 10:31am
Sponsored Links

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:12am
£4.90 a pint?! That's incredibly cheap. Always fancied a trip out to the AMEX, might have to see if I can get my hands on a ticket one weekend. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:14am
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

£4.90 a pint?! That's incredibly cheap. Always fancied a trip out to the AMEX, might have to see if I can get my hands on a ticket one weekend. 
Actually, you are right - It is definitely cheap for down south. I guess I'm a bit too used to paying £3.50 at Anfield!
Would definitely recommend a trip to the Amex. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Amex Stadium

Getting there: Dead easy. Train into Brighton station, queue for about ten mins for a train which then leaves you at the ground in 5 minutes
You were lucky enough, since when I went there, the trains were pretty chaotic, at least on the return. And I don't think that was a one-off, eg:
Rob Haynes a visiting Nottingham Forest Fan also found going by train frustrating; ‘We stayed in Brighton so walked to the station and arrived at 13.30 to find a huge queue snaking around the concourse. Whilst it generally quite well organised it didn’t add much to the pre-match experience to have to stand and wait for such a long period before getting on a packed train to the ground. Fans that left it later no doubt had an even longer wait. After the game we walked straight from the away end to the train station. At 6pm (the game finished before 5pm) I was finally moving and on my way into Brighton centre. All generally organised okay but again such a frustrating wait and such a waste of time! Trains again jammed back to Brighton.
https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/premier-league/amex-stadium-brighton-and-hove-albion.html

While according to my mate, a Spurs fan, who lives in Brighton (well Hove Actually) and occasionally takes his lad to see the Albion, road traffic is arguably worse - NO parking nearby, roads routinely clogged in all  directions before and after the game.

All of which stems from the location - a village in the country, 5 miles from Brighton.

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Stadium itself:...
Agree with all of the rest - pretty good stadium.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 2:29pm
Can only comment on my experience yesterday - Got in the queue at Brighton station at 12.00pm, was in the away end just after 12.30pm
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 3:31pm
Pride Park. Been over a few times, my buddy is a big Derby fan so some of us non Derby fans normally head over with him as he is normally on his own.

Getting there: East Midlands Airport then a bus to Derby around 40mins. Walk from Derby city to the ground is around 20mins.

Ground itself is top notch great views no-matter where you are sitting.

Pints: £3.50 i think it was.  Drink plenty before heading back into town as Derby itself is a bit of a kip tbh.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 4:14pm
Been to (for actual games):

Old Trafford
Anfield 
Emirates
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Olympic Stadium (West Ham)
King Power
Stamford Bridge
Goodison
St Mary's
Selhurst Park
Craven Cottage
Molineux
The Den
Deepdale
Loftus Road
Pride Park
Pirelli Stadium
Wembley

Would answer questions on any of those but if I were to throw up reviews I'd be at it for the week.

Edit - forgot I was at the John Smith stadium too a few years back when Huddersfield were in the Premier League, though it was for an FA Cup game.

Edited by E2016 - 30 Jan 2023 at 8:18pm
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Pirelli Stadium
Niche one there! Also been to the Pirelli many moons ago for an England underage game but can't for the life of me remember who they were playing. 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Pirelli Stadium
Niche one there! Also been to the Pirelli many moons ago for an England underage game but can't for the life of me remember who they were playing. 

Yeah I saw Burton vs Wolves back when both were in the Championship and Burton actually ended up winning due to a last minute Cauley Woodrow goal. Was actually a good game. Funny how far Wolves have come since then.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 10:39pm
Ashton Gate. £5.40 for a pint of Amstel. That is all.
Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 6:19pm
You haven't lived unless you have been to Halifax Town's old Shay Stadium for a midweek Division 3 clash with Cardiff City under the lights in the mid-1980s. Still managed to get into away end despite Cardiff's fans being banned from buying tickets on the night due to hooliganism. 

Edited by Tyronebhoy - 27 Feb 2023 at 6:22pm
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
trevwaterford View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevwaterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 2:20pm
I was at Fulham  v Arsenal on Sunday. Craven Cottage is a real mix between the old and the new. The traditional red brick stands are still there but the new double tiered Riverside stand is now open. Great views and padded seats but expensive at 100 a ticket. Loads of bars there at the ground. Nice walk through a park and by the river to get there.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 2:54pm
100 a ticketLOL f**k that!! Plenty of equally good grounds in London if not better and at a fifth of the price
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 3:34pm
I was in the old stand last season, old wooden seats, £40 when they were in the Championship which is an expensive ticket by Championship standards. 

There is a bit of charm to the place, and it's nice to have gone, but I wouldnt be in any hurry to go back. The stand I was in is now £60 a game, now that they are in the PL.
Jack City View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 12:28pm
Broomfield Road Blackpool.I went to Blackpool v QPR Tuesday night.Direct train from Manchester Airport to Blackpool.Cost £16 return.Locals very friendly.Nice ground,not far from the town centre. Stayed in the Radisson Hotel which is part of the stadium.Great view from the restaurant which looks down on the pitch.The Hotel staff were taking the piss out of me when I went for breakfast with my QPR Jersey on.Good trip,flights from Cork only €40 return .They love Big Mick in Blackpool. 

Edited by Jack City - 17 Mar 2023 at 12:29pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 2:31pm
Haven’t been to Bloomfield Road since 1987 as a nipper, my first ever attendance at an Association Football match. Beat Mansfield Town 2-0 that day. Have been back to the stadium a few years back on a non match day but hoping  to get to a game before seasons end. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 3:32pm
Been to Bloomfield Road three times down the years, with the first being January 1991 i.e. before it was rebuilt.

This was when BFC were in the old 4th Division and they drew Spurs in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. I don't remember much about the game - Spurs won 1-0 via a Paul Stewart goal and went on to win the Cup that year.

But I do remember two things clearly. There was a truly ferocious storm blowing in from the Irish Sea that day, with the spray being blown right over the beach and the Promenade, including the cars driving along.

The weather in turn affected the game, since Bloomfield Road was so decrepit that for safety reasons they had to close one stand completely and herd the Spurs fans into a section normally reserved for home fans. From there, we were able to see great chunks of paint and other debris blowing from the roof of the vacated stand. I'm half surprised it didn't blow down, since in those pre-Holloway days, the whole place really was a dump (town too, as it happens). The crowd of 9k that day was their best of the season.

Been there since and tbf, they've rebuilt most of it quite nicely - a decent ground for a club of that status and support. And while Blackpool is not my own choice of resort (The Last Resort?), it's still friendly enough and all told, it's easily one of the cheapest away weekends in English football.

Originally posted by Jack City Jack City wrote:

They love Big Mick in Blackpool. 
I read somewhere that that win over QPR was the first time one of his teams had ever scored six goals in all the time he's been a manager - over 1,000 games! LOL

Edited by Territorial - 17 Mar 2023 at 3:45pm
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 3:47pm
I was there with my Dad during a weekend there in October 2005 for a League 1 match v Brentford - and the ground was nothing like it is now. Main stand (where we were) continuing round behind the left hand goal was grand and modern but along the opposite sideline was what looked like temporary seating which was open to the elements and where the away fans were placed, while it was wasteground behind the goal to our right.

If anyone told us that day that this would be a EPL venue just 5 years later, I would sent for the men in white coats. Oh, and it was a sh*te game - 0-0. LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic