You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Football Commentary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

And he didn't start getting confused yesterday either - I still remember him commenting on Spain's goal against Ireland in that 2nd round match of the 2002 world cup 'it's Luis Enrique'. No it wasn't George, it was Fernando Morientes. EmbarrassedLOL
And the infamous Baggio brothers at USA94.
'Who, of course, are not related'. LOL

Despite those blunders, I still found myself switching over to RTE from BT Sport.  I just couldn't stick listening to Darren Fletcher's voice any longer. Dead
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:18am
The Baggio one is a classic. I always liked George, I do think an element of that is simply down to nostalgia. I think we all have a soft spot for the commentator who seemed to be always there in our childhood.
I also think the compulsory addition of a 'colour commentator', most of whom add nothing of value and the fact many commentators now skip radio entirely have damaged the craft.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:22am

And he didn't start getting confused yesterday either - I still remember him commenting on Spain's goal against Ireland in that 2nd round match of the 2002 world cup 'it's Luis Enrique'. No it wasn't George, it was Fernando Morientes. EmbarrassedLOL
And the infamous Baggio brothers at USA94.
'Who, of course, are not related'. LOL
Despite those blunders, I still found myself switching over to RTE from BT Sport.  I just couldn't stick listening to Darren Fletcher's voice any longer. Dead
At least you didn't have to look at him!

BT and their need for two 'colour commentators', an interjcting referee and a whole team of pundits in the studio, have a lot to answer for. I'm not sure if they still do this, maybe they've learned, but it was farcical.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:23am
Wait...Dino and Roberto Baggio aren't related?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Was out watching Liverpool v West Ham the other week in a boozer here : the channel they had it on had an issue with the commentary so for the first 20 minutes it was just the stadium noise and nothing else. It was glorious !

You'd be hard pushed finding a match with any stadium noise most weeks.

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

You always bring City into the conversation !!!
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 11:43am

Was thinking more about Liverpool fans last night, and their "famous atmosphere"
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 12:54pm

Was thinking more about Liverpool fans last night, and their "famous atmosphere"
The PSG fans made plenty of noise, so what? Added to the whole occasion and fair play to them. Doesn't mean the home support was any less vocal than usual. Those at the game said the atmosphere was electric so yeah, another great Anfield european night with the "famous atmosphere". Don't be jealous of it
Some people just deserve a slap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 1:42pm

The Liverpool fans sounded very quiet on the TV. Could only hear the PSG fans for the vast majority. Maybe was different if being there in person.

Carmody 10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmody 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 3:14pm
Fairness to the PSG fans, they were mental and created some noise.
Out of order
mbyrne15 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbyrne15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Carmody 10 Carmody 10 wrote:

Fairness to the PSG fans, they were mental and created some noise.

With three lads stood at the front with mega-phones and their backs to the match it's a lot easier to get the fans going collectively.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:20pm
Hamilton has had some awful commentary over the years. He got excited one time during a game and said "He's given a penalty!" when the ref had actually given a goal-kick.

But his worst moment had to be in Paris when he called the Henry double hand ball and Gallas goal as a Paul McShane OG!

Overall modern commentators all sound the same. And if they try to be different they are just annoyingly shouty or use obviously pre-prepared snippets, often based around matching players names with awful puns.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:00pm
The worst commentary is when they just name the player on the ball.   ''Keita to Salah and now Firmino, back to Salah''

I know FFS I can see it and who cares anyway?  Say something of interest.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 3:40pm
A bit of a shock to see that Peter Brackley has passed away.

Did the commentary on Channel 4 when Serie A was at its height.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 4:03pm
The Titanic has sunk too did you hear?
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 4:07pm

The Titanic has sunk too did you hear?
LOL
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 6:54pm
LOL

I can't believe he was only 67, he sounded that old when he doing Football Italia.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 2:33pm
Martin Tyler in the Liverpool game just there LOL

Turned full Michael Owen nearly.

"Full time is 4-0. It wasn't deserved as 1 was offside and the other was an own goal"
"David Brooks, the Englishman playing for Wales"
"Fabinho's shot is rubbish, it was more Inho than Fab"

Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic