Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Football Commentary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Football Commentary
    Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:02pm
I have an idea.  Why do channels bother with boring commentators such as Martin 'pallbearer' Tyler and his ilk?

Far better just have the lads back in the studio discussing the game  I reckon with the live feed of the game simultaneously. Gives a much better insight than just the 'expert analysis' for 2 mins at half time then a break then a bit after the match. 

Have Souness, Andrews, Kerr and Tommy Presenter discussing it. Gives a 'watching it live with experts' or a  down the pub feel to it.   Get better interaction that way than just some boring commentator with an ex player co-commentator.

Edited by Trap junior - 18 Sep 2018 at 7:04pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:04pm
I miss David Pleat.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I have an idea.  Why do channels bother with boring commentators such as Martin 'pallbearer' Tyler and his ilk?

But who would shout AND ITS LIIIIIVE before the ad break before kick off?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

But who would shout AND ITS LIIIIIVE before the ad break before kick off?

What's the point of him saying that every game 30 seconds before kick off?  I know Martin.  I've tuned in because I know its fooking live plus if I am in any doubt (which I'm not) it has 'live' written in the corner of the screen under Sky Sports.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:39pm
I’ve no idea
Its become a catchphrase for him 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I’ve no idea
Its become a catchphrase for him 

Catchphrase? Say what you see. Well I see a useless commentator.  Should we expect a 'Cant touch this' type novelty record from him any month now with 'And it's live!' replacing ''Can't touch this''.  Also a sitcom where situations arise where he can trot out his catchphrase? 

''Hi Dad.  Me and Alison want to go see Britney Spears at the NEC Birmingham tonight.''
''Oh wow. Can I come?''
''Oh dad you wouldn't like it.''
''I actually like her music. I bought a CD of hers back in the day.''
''Really?!''
''Yes! I've always wanted to see her in person. And it's LIVE!!!!!!!!''

(cue coughing from the live studio audience)

or

ESB adverts warning children of the dangers of touching electricity wires like they used to show back in the 80's when children were thick as sh*t and had to be told not to put their hands in fire etc..

Martin Tyler pops up to warn a child retrieving a football from a power line. 

''No son you don't want to do that!''
''Why is that Mr. Tyler?''
''Because its LIVE!''

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 9:22pm
Souness on the analysis on virgin media at half time there kept refer to "our teams" and "our style" in Europe, talking about (presumably) English (maybe British generally) teams in Europe.

Eh yeah, except you're on Irish TV, you f**king gobsh*te.
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:21am
Hamilton & Houghton were as dull as fook last night on RTE. Even with an injury time winner they couldn't sound a bit excited, boring coonts
Some people just deserve a slap
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:23am
Was out watching Liverpool v West Ham the other week in a boozer here : the channel they had it on had an issue with the commentary so for the first 20 minutes it was just the stadium noise and nothing else. It was glorious !
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:24am
You were lucky, I had to listen to Steve McManaman
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:43am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Souness on the analysis on virgin media at half time there kept refer to "our teams" and "our style" in Europe, talking about (presumably) English (maybe British generally) teams in Europe.
Eh yeah, except you're on Irish TV, you f**king gobsh*te.
At least he's British and played for English teams.

What excuse do Tommo and Anto down the pub have talking in their fake Scouse or Manc accents calling the players by their first name ?

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:44am
Commentators talk way way too much.

Back to the days of David Coleman - "Toshack, Keegan, one nil".

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Was out watching Liverpool v West Ham the other week in a boozer here : the channel they had it on had an issue with the commentary so for the first 20 minutes it was just the stadium noise and nothing else. It was glorious !

This is exactly what should be offered by channels giving live coverage. It surely couldn't be that hard to have an option to turn George Hamilton or whoever off, but still get all the pitch side sounds.

99 percent of commentary now is poison. The constant need to talk is painful. They simply can't let there be dead air for any moment. Then you have the likes of Hamilton who confuses half a football team in every game ' and that's Mane on the ball now. He passes it to Mane out wide who takes on the full back. He pulls it back to Mane on the edge of the box and what a shot, off the bar!!' It's totally shameful at this point that lads like him are still getting paid for this level of work.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Commentators talk way way too much.

Back to the days of David Coleman - "Toshack, Keegan, one nil".

Clap Clap Clap
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:04am
Clap
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

This is exactly what should be offered by channels giving live coverage. It surely couldn't be that hard to have an option to turn George Hamilton or whoever off, but still get all the pitch side sounds.

99 percent of commentary now is poison. The constant need to talk is painful. They simply can't let there be dead air for any moment. Then you have the likes of Hamilton who confuses half a football team in every game ' and that's Mane on the ball now. He passes it to Mane out wide who takes on the full back. He pulls it back to Mane on the edge of the box and what a shot, off the bar!!' It's totally shameful at this point that lads like him are still getting paid for this level of work.
Ffs, he called Mane's name for Liverpool's 1st goal and had to correct himself to say it was Daniel Sturridge. LOL

And he didn't start getting confused yesterday either - I still remember him commenting on Spain's goal against Ireland in that 2nd round match of the 2002 world cup 'it's Luis Enrique'. No it wasn't George, it was Fernando Morientes. EmbarrassedLOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:10am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

And he didn't start getting confused yesterday either - I still remember him commenting on Spain's goal against Ireland in that 2nd round match of the 2002 world cup 'it's Luis Enrique'. No it wasn't George, it was Fernando Morientes. EmbarrassedLOL
And the infamous Baggio brothers at USA94.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

And the infamous Baggio brothers at USA94.

Ah jaysus how could I forget those gems. He's just truly awful LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic