You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - fooking car hire companies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fooking car hire companies

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
Message
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Panic Senior

Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Location: Milan, Italy
Status: Offline
Points: 31998
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Alamo and Europcar are dodgy coonts

Used Alamo in the states a few times they were fine 


In the States its different.  There is none of that excess sh*te.  Its covered automatically.  The only thing you arent covered for is windshield, tyres and loss of keys
Disregard the ice warnings and proceed full steam ahead. We are making great time. I want that trans Atlantic record! And turn off that bloody infernal Morse Code system!

Aye aye captain
Back to Top
9fingers View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Avatar
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Joined: 30 Jan 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 11152
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 12:00am
This thread has to be one of the worst threads in the history of Internet forums. “I took 74 pictures and saved €14” “the Internet company who no one ever heard of & didn’t have an office were amazingly out to rip me off” 
The only semi interesting post was someone referencing Icebhoy losing his car 
Back to Top
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Panic Senior

Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Location: Milan, Italy
Status: Offline
Points: 31998
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 12:05am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

This thread has to be one of the worst threads in the history of Internet forums. “I took 74 pictures and saved €14” “the Internet company who no one ever heard of & didn’t have an office were amazingly out to rip me off” 
The only semi interesting post was someone referencing Icebhoy losing his car 


Confused
Disregard the ice warnings and proceed full steam ahead. We are making great time. I want that trans Atlantic record! And turn off that bloody infernal Morse Code system!

Aye aye captain
Back to Top
OohAah... View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 09 Apr 2011
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 2530
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 1:54pm
Hiring Car in Malaga next week, All the depositis seem to be > €1000. Is this normal?

Any tips?
Back to Top
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Location: Far Fungannon
Status: Offline
Points: 21334
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 2:14pm
It's a trick to get you to pay the stupid excess insurance. Don't. Just get your excess insurance separately.

It's only a block on the credit card. Once the car is returned fine, it's unblocked. And if you have any issues, you can claim the money back from the separate excess insurance. It's a bit more hassle but it saves you about €50.
Back to Top
OohAah... View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 09 Apr 2011
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 2530
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

It's a trick to get you to pay the stupid excess insurance. Don't. Just get your excess insurance separately.

It's only a block on the credit card. Once the car is returned fine, it's unblocked. And if you have any issues, you can claim the money back from the separate excess insurance. It's a bit more hassle but it saves you about €50.

Thanks Dave

think Ill also go for a know company like hertz or europacar
Back to Top
OohAah... View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 09 Apr 2011
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 2530
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

It's a trick to get you to pay the stupid excess insurance. Don't. Just get your excess insurance separately.

It's only a block on the credit card. Once the car is returned fine, it's unblocked. And if you have any issues, you can claim the money back from the separate excess insurance. It's a bit more hassle but it saves you about €50.

Thanks Dave

think Ill also go for a know company like hertz or europacar

Jayzus gonna sound like I need spoon feeding, but will rental care companies always accept other insurance policys to waive the excess?
Back to Top
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Location: Far Fungannon
Status: Offline
Points: 21334
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 3:16pm
The options are this, basically

1) pay the rental car company €x for car hire & also give them a deposit of €1,500 or whatever on your credit card, but pay another company €y for excess insurance

or

2) pay the rental car company €x for car hire & also pay them €z for their own super cover excess insurance

Then, if you have an accident or damage the car, the position is this:

Under 1), the car hire company charge your credit card the full amount of the excess or the cost of the damage, then you make a claim against the company you got the excess insurance from, and they reimburse you the full amount that the car hire company charged you - it's a bit more paperwork and hassle from your end, but the important thing is that you are completely covered

Under 2), the car hire company take the hit and there's no extra hassle for you, but you pay handsomely for the privilege - the difference between €y and €z is somewhere in the region of €50 to €70 for a weeks hire.

And, remember, if nothing goes wrong, you've saved the €50 to €70, and had the same level of cover the whole time.

The usual rules of very close inspection, particularly of alloy wheels, apply either way.
Back to Top
OohAah... View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 09 Apr 2011
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 2530
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

The options are this, basically

1) pay the rental car company €x for car hire & also give them a deposit of €1,500 or whatever on your credit card, but pay another company €y for excess insurance

or

2) pay the rental car company €x for car hire & also pay them €z for their own super cover excess insurance

Then, if you have an accident or damage the car, the position is this:

Under 1), the car hire company charge your credit card the full amount of the excess or the cost of the damage, then you make a claim against the company you got the excess insurance from, and they reimburse you the full amount that the car hire company charged you - it's a bit more paperwork and hassle from your end, but the important thing is that you are completely covered

Under 2), the car hire company take the hit and there's no extra hassle for you, but you pay handsomely for the privilege - the difference between €y and €z is somewhere in the region of €50 to €70 for a weeks hire.

And, remember, if nothing goes wrong, you've saved the €50 to €70, and had the same level of cover the whole time.

The usual rules of very close inspection, particularly of alloy wheels, apply either way.

Cheers Dave, crystal clear
Back to Top
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Avatar
Fresh minty breath

Joined: 01 Mar 2010
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 13576
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

No need for the hysteria ffs. Just read the t&c's. booking through those 3rd party websites can be dodge...best to go direct.




I went direct through Budget/Avis.
They would be considered a marquee brand.
They tried to pull a fast one.

Next question?

and I assume you had 3rd party insurance? If so whatever fast one they pull/pulled will be covered by your policy as long as you follow the process.

I rented another car at Heathrow at the weekend from easirent without the slightest issue. £20 for 3 days Clap
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Back to Top
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Panic Senior

Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Location: Milan, Italy
Status: Offline
Points: 31998
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 5:00pm
Here's what to do before leaving the car rental place.  Any scratches or dents not already notes on paper will be blamed on you so inspect like a hoor beforehand.




Disregard the ice warnings and proceed full steam ahead. We are making great time. I want that trans Atlantic record! And turn off that bloody infernal Morse Code system!

Aye aye captain
Back to Top
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 2606
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:55pm
Anyone on here have experience with interrent in Faro? 
Just booked with them and they were way cheaper than anybody else....red flag but going to risk it
Back to Top
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
OAPs apply within xx

Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Location: Monaghan/Dublin
Status: Offline
Points: 29542
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

Anyone on here have experience with interrent in Faro? 
Just booked with them and they were way cheaper than anybody else....red flag but going to risk it
I read that as internmentLOL
Back to Top
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Born n bred in darndale.

Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 28875
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 2:06pm
Got stung in Italy.

First they gave me a car I'd not ordered and then had to pay an extra 35 because it was diesel.

Then when I dropped it back there was sand on the seat - 38e cleaning fee.

The more I argued the more into detail he looked.

A tiny little mark on the bonnet then cost me another 300e.


     
Back to Top
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Panic Senior

Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Location: Milan, Italy
Status: Offline
Points: 31998
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Got stung in Italy.

First they gave me a car I'd not ordered and then had to pay an extra 35 because it was diesel.

Then when I dropped it back there was sand on the seat - 38e cleaning fee.

The more I argued the more into detail he looked.

A tiny little mark on the bonnet then cost me another 300e.




Did you have insurance?
Disregard the ice warnings and proceed full steam ahead. We are making great time. I want that trans Atlantic record! And turn off that bloody infernal Morse Code system!

Aye aye captain
Back to Top
FatFreddyMax View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jun 2018
Status: Offline
Points: 20
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatFreddyMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 4:13pm
Should always pay for the full insurance before you leave the garage. It's your own fault, for the sake of 80 euro its a good investment.
Back to Top
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
OAPs apply within xx

Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Location: Monaghan/Dublin
Status: Offline
Points: 29542
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Got stung in Italy.

First they gave me a car I'd not ordered and then had to pay an extra 35 because it was diesel.

Then when I dropped it back there was sand on the seat - 38e cleaning fee.

The more I argued the more into detail he looked.

A tiny little mark on the bonnet then cost me another 300e.


Jaysus.. just say no. Ive hired cars mostly in Engerland,but also Spain and Cyprus.Never had an issue. Just tell the **** the car is in sh*t when you get it. I actually scribbled all over the inspection paperwork one time in Majorca. That **** knew he was not getting a red cent. Surprised at you HB being taken for a mug
Back to Top
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Location: Far Fungannon
Status: Offline
Points: 21334
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by FatFreddyMax FatFreddyMax wrote:

Should always pay for the full insurance before you leave the garage. It's your own fault, for the sake of 80 euro its a good investment.


You're so wrong. Get the excess cover separately and it's far, far cheaper.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.