FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedf**k off day trippers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Topic: f**k off day trippers
    Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 5:36am
Only major gripe last night was that poxy Mexican Wave.
Duff has the ball and all you hear is boos because some people decide not to join in the Mexican Wave, preferring instead (how dare they) to actually watch the match in front of them...what sort of message does that send out to the players?

If you're not going to watch the match then piss off

On the plus side fair play the Slovak fans - the lads at the front of canal end got the Irish going everytime with their drum beats!
Sponsored Links

FrancoB View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 6:07am
Well said Goats.... Mexican waves should be banned by the GAA in their ground. Anyone found starting or participating in a Mexican Wave should be ejected from the stadium and given a life ban.
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 6:13am
what if they are Mexican and they are on the telly and they wave to their mum? Does this mean banishment aswell?

On a serious note I agree about eh bullsh*t wave  but then again if you were a young kid (full ticket price) at the game last saturday, you would have been bored sh*tless and freezing so at least a mexican wave might have gievn them a bit of fun and interest in going to soccer matches again  on cold November nights instead of sunny big-day-out saturdays.
FrancoB View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 7:06am
Hey Count , if it was your son there you would say " Hey son, if i ever see you part-taking in a Mexican Wave - I am not your Dad anymore " ! Come on admit it !
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 7:50am
Hed be under the jacket hiding from the stewards as he wouldnt be after  paying 50 lids in to partake in this nonsense anyway!
Goats View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 7:55am
My son wouldn't even know me as Dad... just 'Coach'
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 8:17am
no just as 'hey mum, whose that guy staring at me from 5 rows back with the trenchcoat' 
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 10:55am

Totally hate that bloody Wave for years now. Started up by saps and I can't believe so many get dragged into it now.  I'm there to watch and support the team, not stand up and wave like a kn*bend. 

Venom View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 4:06pm
You lot are the biggest bunch of biggots I've ever seen. Went to my first game in a while now to get back and support the lads I mean heaven forbid that we might get an old wave going and enjoy the night that was in it, I'm almost ashamed to admit it but in fact at one stage I actually took my eyes off the game for an entire split second to pull my seat back down after 'standing for the boys in green'

Thank god we have real supporters like you to let us know how unworthy we are to go watch our national team play a game of footie in our countrys landmark stadium. I hope you got you 50 quids worth by staring the pitch out of it for 93 minutes in complete silence, studying every little move so you can come back here to sit in your armchair and convince us to tell you to take Staunton's place.

As far as the wave goes, people were booing the slovak supporters for joining in, it was a joke, a bit of a laugh, ever hear of it?

Oh and tell me did any of you disgruntled true supporters get out of your seat for the wave?
be honest now...
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 5:08pm
Honestly I didn't get off my arse.
But then again I did have a small smile while it was going on. And it fairness it did generate atmosphere afterwards.
But still didnt get off my hole.
Jimmy 2 Times View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 5:35pm

thats a bit harsh venom calling people biggots!!  for giving out about people doing a mexican wave for about 20 minutes while they were trying to watch the game. fair enough as the game was sh*te on saturday and it was something to do to numb the pain and to keep the chill out but trying in fairness i was bet into the game on wednesday and it was just annoying some di*k beside me getting in my way every few minutes. I wouldnt mind if he had the scuts and was going to the jacks every 5 minutes instead of just jumping up blocking my 50 euro view every other minute! 

thats a bit harsh venom calling people biggots!!  for giving out about people doing a mexican wave for about 20 minutes while they were trying to watch the game. fair enough as the game was sh*te on saturday and it was something to do to numb the pain and to keep the chill out but trying in fairness i was bet into the game on wednesday and it was just annoying some di*k beside me getting in my way every few minutes. I wouldnt mind if he had the scuts and was going to the jacks every 5 minutes instead of just jumping up blocking my 50 euro view every other minute! 

Ah Shadaapa You Face!

Ah Shadaapa You Face!
Venom View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2007 at 2:25am
I'M BEING HARSH???!!! Look at the title of this thread again and then tell me I'm harsh. From reading people's opinions on here it seems unforgivable that anyone would go to a once off game, you're either a lifer or the scum of the earth.

I really have to ask the question here, dead seriously, why don't you all just watch the game on the telly? You just want to watch the game, you say so yourselves, and you have shown blatent disregard to getting any sort of atmosphere going in the stadium. So maybe you lads could be the ones that do the team a favour and stay at home so there might be a few cheers to encourage the lads whenever we do manage to hit the back of the net.

Is there ever any craic at the away games where only the die hard fans will travel?

Goats View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2007 at 3:20am
Good man Venom you’ve achieved your objective and got people’s  ‘goats’ up…but just for the record:

You had to take your eye off the game for a helluva lot longer than a ‘spilt second’ to partake in the wave and the booing that went with it, particularly as you had to look at the other sections of the ground and duly boo whoever wasn’t participating in your ‘fun’.

And yes I did get my 50 quid’s worth from watching a passionate performance and singing my heart out at every chance to generate some real atmosphere and, more importantly, SUPPORT for the TEAM on the pitch.
Why don’t you go and give yourself a big pat on the back and congratulate yourself on a great night out…and maybe somewhere along the line you might actually remember to SUPPORT the Irish team and let them know you that you appreciated their efforts, rather than lauding your own magnificently self-generated ‘entertainment’

And the reason why we don’t watch the math on the telly is so that we can support our team and give them every chance of a result. You think it doesn’t make a difference? Well ask yourself how many of the refs decisions on Wed night were influenced by the home support. I’m sure if we were all busy doing the Mexican wave some of those 50-50 or even 25-75 decisions wouldn’t have gone our way. That’s way they call it HOME advantage.

And no I didn’t get out of my seat for the wave. Granted  the booing of the Slovak fans was a bit of a laugh but I was referring  to the booing that ensued when parts of the HOME crowd didn’t join in your little games because they were actually too busy watching, for example, Paul McShane putting in a match saving challenge
For the record – go to an away game and you’ll find plenty of craic (sit down for the boys in green anyone?) without having to ignore the match

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2007 at 3:41am
have to agree with venom in a certain way here.
the irish fans are way to found of picking out faults in our supporters.
every fan has their own way of showing support - be it singing or doing a mexican wave.
Bottom line - we are all there to support the team. there can be too much bullsh*t posted on issues that shouldn't matter on websites
L.Y.A. View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2007 at 6:34am
Can't we all just get along!

I tried to get a hands around the world going: ie, cross your arms and hold the hands of the people either side of you, once the stadium is joined in arms we gently sway together and sing 'All we are saying is give peace a chance' it's really a metaphor for building bridges across the world....unfortunately the young lad beside me from Phibsborough thought I was a peado and my brother pretended he didn't know me, pity as I thought it was great idea.

seriously though I just thought the Mexican waves timing was brutal the slovakians were all over us and we are only winning 1-0, I also think it was insulting in a way to the Slovakians it's kinda giving out the message that this is too easy.

Keep the Mexican wave for the friendlies or if we are winning comfortably 
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2007 at 7:51am
Topic heading is probably a bit harsh alright, but I won't change my opinion on the Wave, it had it's day when it was new in 1986 when the World Cup in Mexico brought it to our attention.  And to be fair about Saturday, everyone was bored to tears, but Wed was never boring and the timing of it completely out of context.  As one other lad said, save it for friendlies when we're winning well (we'll win well under Stan?).......and I didn't get off me seat either and I will ALWAYS stand up to sing Stand up for the Boys in Green.  We'll agree to disagree I think with the pro-wavers.
Percy View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2007 at 9:36am
I think its time to get this mexican wave out of our system now. I've emailed the GAA to see if theres any chance of opening up Croke Park on Good Friday seeing as the boozers are shut ..... we'll all pile in and go for the world record for the longest wave.....then we can all go home, forget all about it and start looking at our travel options for next away games.
MERRY CHRISTMAS

@IrishPercy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic