You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finn Azaz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finn Azaz
    Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:14pm
New call-up for the U21 Euro Play-Off:

Playing first team football at Plymouth in League 1 (on loan from Villa).  Made a nice start to the season for Plymouth with 3 goals in 8 league games.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 15 Sep 2022 at 4:15pm
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:16pm
Of Irish and Israeli descent, so qualifies for both ourselves and Israel which is quite the coincidence. Seems to be highly rated at his parent club Villa.

Won L2 Young Player of the Year last season playing for Newport on loan from Villa and was named in the L2 Team of the Season. (7 goals in 42 League games). Seems to have taken the step up to L1 in his stride.
Idah Dream!
DublinScouse1916 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DublinScouse1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Of Irish and Israeli descent, so qualifies for both ourselves and Israel which is quite the coincidence. Seems to be highly rated at his parent club Villa.

Won L2 Young Player of the Year last season playing for Newport on loan from Villa and was named in the L2 Team of the Season. (7 goals in 42 League games). Seems to have taken the step up to L1 in his stride.

I here he Israeli good
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by DublinScouse1916 DublinScouse1916 wrote:

I here he Israeli good

That's a view I would approach with some degree of circumcision.  
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 6:09pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 8:18pm

I here he Israeli good

His name sounds Arabic to me .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I here he Israeli good

Maybe his dad is an Israeli Arab? I thought the name sounded Arabic too but some of the Jewish Israeli ones can also sound a bit Arabic 

Edited by SeaSharp - 15 Sep 2022 at 8:47pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I here he Israeli good

His middle name is Isaac which would suggest his dads back ground is Jewish. Most of the Jewish people in the Western world are Ashkenazi so we're used to hearing vaguely Germanic/Eastern European sounding surnames, but there are large groups of Jewish people from North African/Middle Eastern backgrounds with more "Arabic" sounding names.
We're decent enough..
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 6:36am
Finn and Sammon should work well together
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 9:25am
Baby shark, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo.
Bainneban View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bainneban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:00am
As Azaz is 22, does that mean he is tied to us if he gets any minutes in the Israel game?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Bainneban Bainneban wrote:

As Azaz is 22, does that mean he is tied to us if he gets any minutes in the Israel game?

No.
Bainneban View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bainneban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:59am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Bainneban Bainneban wrote:

No.

As helpful as that is could you explain please? 

"At the time of being fielded for their last match in an official competition in any kind of football for their current association, they had not turned 21 years old"

Qualifying might not count as an official competition, is that why he could still switch or the fact that its not a senior international? Whereas, for comparison sake, someone like Conor Gallagher played at 22 in a tournament so would not qualify for us anymore?

Edited by Bainneban - 16 Sep 2022 at 12:00pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 12:27pm
There are more clauses in the rules than just the bit you quoted. The difference between Conor Gallagher and Finn Azaz relates to what countries they held citizenship for when they made their first competitive international appearance (including underage and including qualifiers).

Gallagher is a granny ruler so it's very unlikely that he held Irish citizenship when he first played underage for England. Whereas Azaz is English born so obviously holds English (British) citizenship ahead of his potential first appearance for Ireland. 

So when Gallagher played for England after turning 21 he was no longer eligible for Ireland under the rules because of this, however if/when Azaz plays for Ireland he will still be eligible for England as he was a British citizen before playing for us. The same goes for others like Coventry and Smallbone. None of them are tied to us until we competitively cap them at senior level despite playing 21s for us after their 21st birthdays. Whereas when Gallagher, Anthony Gordon and others do the same in reverse they can no longer play for us. It seems unfair, but that's they way the regs were written.

The rules on this are complicated so sometimes it's just easier to give a one word answer!

Edited by You Tell Me - 16 Sep 2022 at 12:30pm
Bainneban View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bainneban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 12:50pm
Thats a great answer, thank you. I understood the holding citizenship but did not realise that only Senior level could tie him. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:12pm

There are more clauses in the rules than just the bit you quoted. The difference between Conor Gallagher and Finn Azaz relates to what countries they held citizenship for when they made their first competitive international appearance (including underage and including qualifiers).

Gallagher is a granny ruler so it's very unlikely that he held Irish citizenship when he first played underage for England. Whereas Azaz is English born so obviously holds English (British) citizenship ahead of his potential first appearance for Ireland. 

So when Gallagher played for England after turning 21 he was no longer eligible for Ireland under the rules because of this, however if/when Azaz plays for Ireland he will still be eligible for England as he was a British citizen before playing for us. The same goes for others like Coventry and Smallbone. None of them are tied to us until we competitively cap them at senior level despite playing 21s for us after their 21st birthdays. Whereas when Gallagher, Anthony Gordon and others do the same in reverse they can no longer play for us. It seems unfair, but that's they way the regs were written.

The rules on this are complicated so sometimes it's just easier to give a one word answer!

A small point,but I don't think Gallagher is a granny ruler - pretty sure I read his dad was born in Donegal, which would make him an Irish citizen from birth.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

A small point,but I don't think Gallagher is a granny ruler - pretty sure I read his dad was born in Donegal, which would make him an Irish citizen from birth.

I have no Idea whether that's correct or not, but if his dad was indeed born in Ireland Gallagher would be an Irish citizen from birth and would remain eligible for us until he gets a competitive senior England cap. 

Edited by You Tell Me - 16 Sep 2022 at 9:32pm
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 10:51am

I don't think it's unfair becasue our own fault. It's due to our foreign birth registry system for people with Irish grandparents. People are deemed not to have the right to citizenship until that criteria is fulfilled. rather than having the right from birth. It's going to come back to shaft us in future when it comes to missing out on players. Liam Delap is another one who will fall into that category.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic