You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 481482483
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 4:33pm
Cape Fear

The 1991 remake by Scorsese.
Robert De Nero has just been released from prison and he's seeking revenge from the lawyer that was supposed to keep him out of prison.
Maybe the original from the 60's was better as I wasn't mad about it. 
There was a weird camera trick that the film negative would change colour. Maybe it was also in the original and new for its time, but just seemed weird.
Even though I had never seen this film it felt like I had from watching the episode from the Simpsons.

Close Encounters of the third kind
People in a small town discover unidentified sightings and then become obsessed with seeing them again and finding out what they are.
In this day and age though it comes across that Richard Dreyfuss is having a mental breakdown. He actually asks his wife for a hug so he can feel comfort and she refuses as she can't see him like that, while his kids are shouting 'cry baby' at him.
Maybe that's the reason he decides to leave earth and ditch the family.
I just didn't get this film, or what the moral of it was.

The dark side.. And the light
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 5:07pm
If you're a big De Niro fan, you have to watch The King of Comedy. It's one of his best performances and so against type. Joker borrowed a lot from it with the atmosphere and characterisation of Arthur Fleck.

Also starring De Niro, Angel Heart is excellent film noir with atmosphere dripping from every scene. De Niro is creepy and understated as the mysterious "Louis Cyphre" (the hint is in the name). Back when Mickey Rourke looked like he could take on the world.

Cop Land is another underrated De Niro flick with an all star cast featuring the likes of Harvey Keitel, Robert Patrick and Ray Liotta. Amazingly, Sylvester Stallone of all people manages to act them all off the screen with one of his best performances. I'd describe it as a western filled with corrupt cops and Stallone as the lone wolf protagonist, but not in the Rambo sense.

The Score is yet another underappreciated De Niro movie starring Bobby as an aging thief who is talked into going on one last score by Marlon Brando in one of his last roles. Edward Norton stars as the inside man, posing as a mentally handicapped janitor (a role he was born for) in the customs house they plan on robbing. Montreal makes for a pleasant setting and the movie moves along at a brisk pace. I can always throw on this movie and enjoy it.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

If you're a big De Niro fan, you have to watch The King of Comedy. It's one of his best performances and so against type. Joker borrowed a lot from it with the atmosphere and characterisation of Arthur Fleck.

Also starring De Niro, Angel Heart is excellent film noir with atmosphere dripping from every scene. De Niro is creepy and understated as the mysterious "Louis Cyphre" (the hint is in the name). Back when Mickey Rourke looked like he could take on the world.

Cop Land is another underrated De Niro flick with an all star cast featuring the likes of Harvey Keitel, Robert Patrick and Ray Liotta. Amazingly, Sylvester Stallone of all people manages to act them all off the screen with one of his best performances. I'd describe it as a western filled with corrupt cops and Stallone as the lone wolf protagonist, but not in the Rambo sense.

The Score is yet another underappreciated De Niro movie starring Bobby as an aging thief who is talked into going on one last score by Marlon Brando in one of his last roles. Edward Norton stars as the inside man, posing as a mentally handicapped janitor (a role he was born for) in the customs house they plan on robbing. Montreal makes for a pleasant setting and the movie moves along at a brisk pace. I can always throw on this movie and enjoy it.

The King of Comedy is a terrific movie.

Well ahead of its time in its critique of celebrity culture and fandom. And so underrated.

The others you reference ain't half bad either.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 15 Sep 2020 at 6:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 481482483
  Share Topic