You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 480481482
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 12:19pm
Jimmy's Hall was great! Again it was a story that deserved telling and was told well. I really enjoyed it.
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

'Michael Collins' is littered with historical inaccuracies but it's an entertaining enough film. Julia Roberts' attempt at some description of an Oirish accent is pretty comical but is just one of many hilarious attempts by American actors over the years.

I think it was sadly a case of they had to cast a big American star in order to attract the punters over there.

Aye, quite a few errors in the film indeed. Please feel free to correct me if any of this is wrong !
  • The surrender at the conclusion of the Easter Rising takes place in the wrong location. 
  • Dublin Met. Detective Ned Broy was not brutally tortured to death for aiding the IRA but survived the War of Independence, became Ireland's top copper and lived to an advanced age.
  • The talks over the Anglo-Irish Treaty and Collins interactions with Lloyd George, Winston Churchill and Lord Birkenhead are not even portrayed and summarily dealt with in a few lines of dialogue post-event. 
  • Hazel Lavery (who some historians think Collins may have had an affair with in London) is not portrayed nor her existence even hinted at.
  • Harry Boland was fatally wounded in a shootout at a hotel rather than being being shot in the Liffey as is portrayed in the film. 
  • I gather that quite a few historians and the descendants of √Čamon de Valera and Cathal Brugha very strongly objected to their decidedly negative portrayal in the film ? 
  • Also, wasn't Brugha supposed to have had an English accent ?
What else was wrong with it ?

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Jimmy's Hall was great! Again it was a story that deserved telling and was told well. I really enjoyed it.

Jim Norton was excellent in his role as the deeply conservative priest.

Edited by ErsatzThistle - 07 Aug 2020 at 1:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 480481482
  Share Topic