You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 415416417418419 523>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:11pm
Agree with the others on planet of the apes.
There was a scene with Maurice and it looked like a costume and not CGI, so real.
Typical that if humans aren't fighting apes they'll be fighting each other.

H2H where is showing Dunkirk in 70mm?
The dark side.. And the light
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

H2H where is showing Dunkirk in 70mm?

IFI in town showing it.
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 1:28pm
Omniplex in Rathmines also. 
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 11:23pm
Dunkirk 9/10. Superb film very Nolanesque with a lot of tension, the battle scenes with the spitfires are incredible and just a feeling a dread and fear throughout the film. See it in Imax if you can the noise of the German Dive bombers is incredible with the seats shaking! Loved it! 
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 12:54am
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Dunkirk 9/10. Superb film very Nolanesque with a lot of tension, the battle scenes with the spitfires are incredible and just a feeling a dread and fear throughout the film. See it in Imax if you can the noise of the German Dive bombers is incredible with the seats shaking! Loved it! 
Just came back from it, trying to go to the cinema more as an alternative to the pub, and went without reading any reviews or anything. I didn't even know Harry Styles was in it and was unsure if they hadn't just remade the Richard Attenborough film from the late fifties.
Which is why I am so surprised by the reviews, yours being the consensus! I know I am a cynical and contrary old bastard but I thought it was utter tripe. I constantly felt it was going to break into a full-on spoof. The music, which is getting wide-acclaim, completely removed any tension, the dialogue was incredibly cheesy and nearly all the acting wooden, the exception being Mr. Dawson. Speaking as someone who can cry at a drop of a hat, I was left completely unmoved by this and felt absolutely no empathy at all. The whole thing felt like a propaganda film really!
I don't think his decision to sew three different threads together throughout helped either. I feel bad because it would have been nice not to have been contrarian for once, but I was genuinely surprised to overhear positive comments and the person I went with cried at the end. Not out of boredom either. 2/10

As I am here, a few more I watched recently.
Romper Stomper- Never got around to watching this and decided it was time to, I really can't understand why the far-right love it so;I can't understand why anyone would love it! Badly acted, badly scripted, it is essentially a very bad rip-off of A Clockwork Orange. The only real redeeming feature is 'Gabe', brilliantly portrayed by Jacqueline McKenzie, as the vulnerable young girl attracted by the strength and devotion of Russell Crowe. 3/10

A.C.A.B. All Cops Are Bastards - An excellent Italian film which tries to make us understand, without judgement, the reasons for police actions, reactions and overreactions through following around a squadron of Roman riot police. Despite this task being incredibly  difficult it is pulled off rather well, you are essentially left with 2 different questions from polar viewpoints. Why are certain types of people attracted to join the police force; white, working-class, violent and nationalistic  and why are they badly trained and underpaid. The only major quibbles being the football riot scene where the ultras leave the stadium to riot in the car park and some of the other violent scenes don't seem real. The guy who plays 'Cobra', the squad leader , is excellent, as is the directing. It also has a brilliant soundtrack, which, apart from the 4-Skins oi classic, features some great tunes from Mokadelic who I would best describe as an Italian Mogwai. 8/10

I.D- I went to watch I.D. 2 and can't bring myself to do it, so I plumped for the original. Still the greatest film about football violence, complete with over the top fight scenes and immensely quotable dialogue. It makes a similar sociological comment to A.C.A.B, without getting weighed down too much in deep and meaningful questions. 9/10

Imperium- In a film inspired by real events, Daniel Radcliffe plays a geeky F.B.I agent who goes undercover with the American far-right after being recruited by Toni Colette. A timely topic and an interesting story that never really gets properly going. Radcliffe plays the anxiety of being undercover quite well without ever convincing as an American, something which Colette manages quite well. It still moves along at a reasonable enough pace and there is enough there to always keep you interested without ever really  griping the viewer. A lot of the characters are oversimplified too. I think when creating a film about distasteful ideologies it is important to try and make the audience understand how and why they came to believing in it themselves, which is overlooked and it does make it feel like the film has a liberal agenda. Still watchable though. 6/10

The Nice Guys- An action-comedy film about a couple of P.Is  set in L.A during the late '70s is probably as far from my type of film as you can get, especially when you throw in Russell Crowe, but this was really enjoyable. A brilliantly scripted piss-take of every stereotype that Hollywood set in that ere, it is exceptionally funny and Crowe and Gosling had a brilliant on screen chemistry. Simply put; this is good fun. 8/10

Edited by pre Madonna - 22 Jul 2017 at 2:00am
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 11:38pm
Just came back from seeing Dunkirk.

The tense atmosphere was excellently paced. I think the trailer gave away way too much for such a relatively short war film.

It really was out of the frying pan into the fire stuff. Even the small details were well done such as the pilot's fuel gauge is shot and he has to constantly estimate and keep in mind how much he has left.

Normally a war film wouldn't go very far if the characters weren't interesting but in fairness it's not attempting to be Saving Private Ryan. There's no big speeches in it just the bleak situation they're in. No actors stood out.

Would be interesting to see what world war two veterans who were at Dunkirk would make of the film.

Soundtrack was perfect for it which shouldn't be a surprise given Zimmer's repertoire.

9/10

Would highly recommend it and to see it in the cinema for the scream of the Stukas alone

Edited by irishmufc - 22 Jul 2017 at 11:39pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 12:05am
Watched Trumbo earlier as well, a very difficult story to fit into a film and it was made very black and white to do so, but they still did it very well. Cranston is superb as Trumbo himself, ably supported by an all-star cast, it is well worth a watch. 7/10
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

[QUOTE=jamo1]Dunkirk 9/10. Superb film very Nolanesque with a lot of tension, the battle scenes with the spitfires are incredible and just a feeling a dread and fear throughout the film. See it in Imax if you can the noise of the German Dive bombers is incredible with the seats shaking! Loved it! 
Just came back from it, trying to go to the cinema more as an alternative to the pub, and went without reading any reviews or anything. I didn't even know Harry Styles was in it and was unsure if they hadn't just remade the Richard Attenborough film from the late fifties.
Which is why I am so surprised by the reviews, yours being the consensus! I know I am a cynical and contrary old bastard but I thought it was utter tripe. I constantly felt it was going to break into a full-on spoof. The music, which is getting wide-acclaim, completely removed any tension, the dialogue was incredibly cheesy and nearly all the acting wooden, the exception being Mr. Dawson. Speaking as someone who can cry at a drop of a hat, I was left completely unmoved by this and felt absolutely no empathy at all. The whole thing felt like a propaganda film really!
I don't think his decision to sew three different threads together throughout helped either. I feel bad because it would have been nice not to have been contrarian for once, but I was genuinely surprised to overhear positive comments and the person I went with cried at the end. Not out of boredom either. 2/10

Fair enough your entitled to your opinion but you thought it was going to break into a full on spoof? How in gods name did you come to that conclusion, it was one of the the most tense and claustrophobic film i've seen even the Harry Styles fans girls were shaking beside me, with one of them ducking when the stuka was coming in. The only downfall was the speech of the actors themselves it was kinda hard to hear what they were saying with Zimmers music in the background which made up for this. 

Edited by jamo1 - 23 Jul 2017 at 12:45pm
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 2:17pm
When you over use bombastic Elgar inspired music to create drama that cannot be created by a loosely hanging together plot, it doesn't feel serious. I can't understand how people found emotive or tense, especially when you had the war version of the Jaws them tune interspersed with dialogue like "there is no hiding from this, son. We have a job to do" and "you can practically see it from here", I find that very close to being a parody.
Some of the cinematography was well done, with some great panoramic shots and the opening certainly grips you, it just also releases you very quickly as well. There is absolutely no depth to the film and that is what makes it feel like some '80s piece of Hollywood propaganda rather than a serious attempt to understand Dunkirk.It doesn't have to be  the latter, it is after all supposed to be a piece of entertainment, but I do think it should have a certain gravitas when dealing with such a subject.
 A lot of the acting is pretty terrible as well. I have enjoyed Cillian Murphy's work on a few occasions, but his attempts at being shell-shocked were not in anyway convincing. Kenneth Brannagh made me laugh on a couple of occasions, his facial expressions were hilarious.
 I certainly feel that a lot of people here in England have bought into the propaganda and that by merely covering the story of Dunkirk, especially in a manner which was supposed to instill pride in the British nation, that they're avoiding a proper critical evaluation.
Or maybe everyone really thought that was genius and my sense of humour is getting even darker.

Edited by pre Madonna - 24 Jul 2017 at 2:30am
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 11:24pm
I am starting to believe PM just cannot allow himself to enjoy anything that the majority of people enjoy.

Anyway, i really enjoyed it and it gets my endorsement for what it is worth. Little dialogue but suited the movie perfectly in a way. An 8 from me.

A fair amount of tears shed by the audience. The scene with the oil slick catching fire and the lads having to come up for air... jjjjaysis.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 2:23am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I am starting to believe PM just cannot allow himself to enjoy anything that the majority of people enjoy.

I formed my opinions before I knew anyone else's though, if it comes across like that then fair enough. I think there are more people who felt the same in this instance but will go along with the consensus in order to be not labelled a contrarian, or over here they would probably be branded unpatriotic! I form my own opinions, right or wrong, and keep them until someone can convince me otherwise. If you don't like them, I have others. I don't think anybody will convince me to like this particular film though.

What I did like was Whiplash. I finally got around to watching it there. An absolutely magnificent film, so good that it is difficult to describe or pigeonhole. Simmons is superb as the sociopath and the story runs smoothly, never getting too bogged down in cliche or stereotype, even when it seemed inevitable. Anybody that hasn't seen it should watch it, it is hard to pick a flaw in it. Even if you don't like jazz. 10/10

Once Were Warriors- This certainly isn't the easiest film to watch, it is pretty raw and brutal, particularly the domestic violence, but it is certainly worth watching.
It starts off as a typical macho film with a local hero acting as police to anyone who acts up in his local  bar or community, as soon as you have been charmed by him his facade is quickly removed and the film becomes an extreme look at the struggle for the Maori people in postcolonial New Zealand as the traditional family structure breaks down.
The biggest downside is the inexperience of the actors lets them down in places but in other ways it adds to the rawness of the subject matter. It certainly isn't a film you could mix up with another or forgot you had watched! 9/10

Edited by pre Madonna - 24 Jul 2017 at 2:59am
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 8:49am
Whiplash Clap
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 9:01am

I formed my opinions before I knew anyone else's though, if it comes across like that then fair enough. I think there are more people who felt the same in this instance but will go along with the consensus in order to be not labelled a contrarian, or over here they would probably be branded unpatriotic! I form my own opinions, right or wrong, and keep them until someone can convince me otherwise. If you don't like them, I have others. I don't think anybody will convince me to like this particular film though.

"full on spoof" LOL you're casting a line ffs.

And yes, I was only thinking to myself that a thread in this very section should be dedicated to your cynical views on the world where you can ramble away to your hearts content. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 9:07am

And yes, I was only thinking to myself that a thread in this very section should be dedicated to your cynical views on the world where you can ramble away to your hearts content. 

The Misanthropic Musings of PM LOL

Where do I sign up

http://pm1.narvii.com/5761/f34356facfe078d96516628511156217a12e1116_hq.jpg
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 9:27am
I saw 'Once were Warriors' a good while ago (it must be 20 years old) and would agree while being a very good film it is an uneasy watch at times.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

The Misanthropic Musings of PM LOL

Where do I sign up

http://pm1.narvii.com/5761/f34356facfe078d96516628511156217a12e1116_hq.jpg
People using that phrase is incredibly irritating, funnily enough! I didn't find that film irritating though, I just found it incredibly shallow. I am obviously on a wind-up!

I watched The Mercenary this morning, a story about a young lad from New Caledonia going against his abusive father's wishes and moving to France to play professional rugby. It shows the difficulties faced by young lads moving to play sport for money and the risks involved. A lot of the cast had no acting experience but it is so well directed it is barely noticeable and the actual on-pitch scenes are well-done too. I read afterwards that picked up a prize at Cannes, which isn't surprising at all. 8/10
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 10:06am
PM going through all the films I loved in my late teens - Romper Stomper, ID, Once Were Warriors Cool

Finally watched Baby Driver last night, it was excellent.

Brilliant direction, a great cast and a great soundtrack.

Edgar Wright really is in a league of his own Cool

9/10
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 12:34am
The Circle. Worst film of all time. Guaranteed .
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 415416417418419 523>
  Share Topic