You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 154>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Still think the 2030 will go to the south american bid of Uruguay–Argentina–Chile–Paraguay as part of the centenary not that I agree with it I just think it will happen
President For Life Xi is apparently a big football fan and has practically demanded China win the World Cup while he's still in charge.

So whilst FIFA might use the "centenary" argument to justify Uru/Arg/Chile/Par getting it if that's what they want, I doubt that will be their plan, not least because the entire GDP of those four countries combined wouldn't cover the amount Xi would be prepared to set aside in bribes for FIFA. (Sorry, did I say "bribes"? I must have meant "Development Money for the World Game", or somesuch).

Besides, S.America only has 10 Member Associations in FIFA, whereas Asia has 47, which must count for something.
Wash your mouth out with soap & water young Terri - that's a disgraceful slur to cast on such an honest and upstanding governing body. Shocked

Edited by ConorMac77 - 19 Jun 2019 at 4:27pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Sponsored Links

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:35pm
I forgot about the Yanks getting 2026 so forget that suggestion but Australia definitely won’t be getting it.

Xi is indeed a football fan, that’s why Sun Ji Hai is part of British football hall of fame, a political move but a fact nonetheless.
He’s also started giving out Chinese citizenships to pretty much anyone whos playing in the Chinese tiers, who isn’t Chinese and doesn’t have any international recognition but I don’t think China will be hosting a WC anytime soon, probably going to the South American joint bid.

Has anything progressed since the talk of the joint English/Irish bid?
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I don’t think China will be hosting a WC anytime soon
Back to the Future, 2010-style:

"I don’t think Qatar will be hosting a WC anytime soon"

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 7:26pm
Been saying for years China will host 2030 and still expect it to happen.

They'd be great hosts too, excellent infrastructure, passionate and knowledgeable fans, tourist friendly cities and plenty of flights from Europe, while since I was there but plenty of €1 beers and tenner all you can drink nightclubs then too. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I forgot about the Yanks getting 2026 so forget that suggestion but Australia definitely won’t be getting it.

Xi is indeed a football fan, that’s why Sun Ji Hai is part of British football hall of fame, a political move but a fact nonetheless.
He’s also started giving out Chinese citizenships to pretty much anyone whos playing in the Chinese tiers, who isn’t Chinese and doesn’t have any international recognition but I don’t think China will be hosting a WC anytime soon, probably going to the South American joint bid.

Has anything progressed since the talk of the joint English/Irish bid?

Think you are mistaken there.....
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

They'd be great hosts too, excellent infrastructure, passionate and knowledgeable fans, tourist friendly cities and plenty of flights from Europe, while since I was there but plenty of €1 beers and tenner all you can drink nightclubs then too. 

I struggled to find them !!!!

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

I daresay it would be a very enjoyable tournament for the fans, but since when has that been a consideration for FIFA?

You know, the people who are telling us we must go to feckin' Qatar in 3 years time. Thumbs Down
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 2:07pm
Well the draw for the Second Round of World Cup 2022 Asian qualifying was done yesterday. 

Some intriguing match ups in the offing; Iran vs. Iraq! North Korea vs. South Korea!  But most curious of all; Qatar in Group E Confused
So not only is there no logo yet for Qatar 2022, the hosts are participating in the qualifiers.  I'm holding on to the faint hope that somebody at FIFA isn't so sure about the 2022 World Cup being played in Qatar 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Well the draw for the Second Round of World Cup 2022 Asian qualifying was done yesterday. 

Some intriguing match ups in the offing; Iran vs. Iraq! North Korea vs. South Korea!  But most curious of all; Qatar in Group E Confused
So not only is there no logo yet for Qatar 2022, the hosts are participating in the qualifiers.  I'm holding on to the faint hope that somebody at FIFA isn't so sure about the 2022 World Cup being played in Qatar 

Doubling up as the qualifiers for the Asian Cup AFAIK 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Russia were due to do the same in 2018 as well, makes sense as they play decent teams regularly instead of trying to organise friendles.

As said above, it doubles as the Asian Cup qualifiers as well.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 9:03pm
But the Asian Cup was only on earlier this year. The next edition will be in 2023. So why the need to play the qualifiers for that so early?

Edited by newrynyuk - 18 Jul 2019 at 9:04pm
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 12:00am
What a sh*t logo:-

Edited by newrynyuk - 04 Sep 2019 at 10:29am
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 12:36pm
Costa Rica manager Gustavo Matosas quits because being an international manager is so boring it's like being on permanent vacation. Big smile
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 8:50am
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 9:04am
A not-so subtle dig from the UAE media there. 

Ironically, when the Asian Cup was on in the UAE last year, the exact same situations were happening. Got a ticket for Australia and Palestine in Dubai. Turned up to the stadium (only 18k capacity) 30 minutes before hand and there were massive queues trying to get in to the stadium.

Game kicks off and there were still thousands of people outside trying to get in. I finally got to the top of the queue about 25 minutes in to the first half, and then they shut all the entrances, saying it was full. I asked them how was it full if there was 1-2k people outside who all had tickets. My mates had gone in a different entrance and were sending me pictures of 2 of the stands which were nearly empty.

Went looking on Twitter to see if there were any critical tweets about the organisation of it, and none of the tweets lasted longer than 10 minutes before they were taken down.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 12:54pm
A charming bunch of lads 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:32pm
Latest rankings, we’re down 8 places to 34th.
In Europe that makes us 22nd.
So probably 3rd seeds again for WC qualifying.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:06am

Dates above for Qatar WC 2022 qualifying.

Have to say I’m a fan of the condensed qualifying period.
The old days of 2 matches in Sept and October, then waiting months for 1 game day in March, another few months for 1 game on June, then another few months for 2 games in Sept and October.

10 games in same year between March and November is the way to go.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 154>
  Share Topic