Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fergies Autobiography

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fergies Autobiography
    Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 4:45pm
Out tomorrow
Will probably throw up a good few talking points, so deserves its own thread 
Sponsored Links

Goldendixie View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldendixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 4:49pm
Looking forward to it, bound to be a few players dreading it's release.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 4:53pm
Rumours of a former captain being gay !!!
Mr.Mojo Risin' View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

pray for Mojo!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Mojo Risin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 4:57pm
Nicely timed release so Moyes can deal with any fallout from this (Rooney revelations etc....) while trying to get Utd back on form. How nice of Alex.
Ahh heya!
Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:14pm
Could be wrong but can't see there being any huge revelations he's still very much a part of things at ot and will not want to rock the boat it's already a period of transition
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:24pm
Should be an interesting insight into his mind and how he was the driving force behind United's dominance over the last 20 years, even supporters of other clubs (including myself) will be reading this one.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:32pm
No matter what you think if the man he's up there with Clough,Shankly,Stein etc etc and I would recommend any football fan to read anything he gets published. He probably won't be around in 15-20 years time.A living legend.

I think Jamie Carragher was very complementary about him in his own autobiography
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:36pm
How many autobiographies has Fergie had now at this stage? Must be at least 3. Just another 2 to go now before he dies.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

No matter what you think if the man he's up there with Clough,Shankly,Stein etc etc and I would recommend any football fan to read anything he gets published. He probably won't be around in 15-20 years time.A living legend.

I think Jamie Carragher was very complementary about him in his own autobiography

I would say he is top of the list.

He has to be the best manager in the history of British football.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:58pm
The one due out this Thursday is only his second autobiography.

His first one was released rather fortuitously in 1999 - just after United won the treble. Though there were updates to that over the years...

Agree with Horsey, Fergie is certainly top of the list. Not only did he win more than them all and stay at the helm longer than them all, but he did all this through the biggest evolution the game ever had. When Fergie started managing at United, there were players on £1000 per month, when he left in 2013 he was managing players on £1million per month.

The fact that he stayed on top of his game, as the media changed, the game changed, the players changed, the professionalism changed etc - is the main reason he's the best for me. And that's without mentioning how much of a pioneer he was with man-management, how much of a pioneer he was with mind games, how much of a pioneer he was with media dealings, how much of a pioneer he was with squad rotation, that's without mentioning the fact he's won more trophies than any other British manager and the fact that the academy he set up at Old Trafford was insanely effective. His greatest legacy for me was how much he evolved as a manager as the game practically changed during his time as a manager.

Edited by Siralex - 21 Oct 2013 at 6:23pm
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He was the best in certain ways but not as good in others (tactically naive at vital times in Europe down the years). To be fair what Shankly achieved (though he didn't win as much silverware) turning Liverpool from a second division club into world power has to be up there with Ferguson.Paisley gets a lot of credit which is fair enough but Shankly for me was the architect of Liverpool's success.Busby winning the European cup 10 years after Munich not to mention Clough's success with Forest.These are all serious achievements. Fergusons longevity and willingness to change with the times building team after team are his strongest points but I don't really buy into the whole "greatest team/manager/league in the world" labels.They're all excellent in their own right 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 7:32pm
Fergie still thinks Jock Stein is the greatest
Jackthelad View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 7:46pm

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He was the best in certain ways but not as good in others (tactically naive at vital times in Europe down the years). To be fair what Shankly achieved (though he didn't win as much silverware) turning Liverpool from a second division club into world power has to be up there with Ferguson.Paisley gets a lot of credit which is fair enough but Shankly for me was the architect of Liverpool's success.Busby winning the European cup 10 years after Munich not to mention Clough's success with Forest.These are all serious achievements. Fergusons longevity and willingness to change with the times building team after team are his strongest points but I don't really buy into the whole "greatest team/manager/league in the world" labels.They're all excellent in their own right 

+1

Whatever about comparisons such as Ronaldo v messi for example, comparing across different eras isn't for me, especially on the topic of managers.
All of the above were legends, and each had huge success, success being a very broad title and something they achieved in their own way. You could add Herbert chapman and don revie to it along with a few more. Dare I say it Walter smith also.
Oh Poland we loved you.....
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 7:57pm

No matter what you think if the man he's up there with Clough,Shankly,Stein etc etc 

Well done Mr Ferguson. IrishMufc thinks you are "up there with" some other managers. 
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Jackthelad Jackthelad wrote:

+1

Whatever about comparisons such as Ronaldo v messi for example, comparing across different eras isn't for me, especially on the topic of managers.
All of the above were legends, and each had huge success, success being a very broad title and something they achieved in their own way. You could add Herbert chapman and don revie to it along with a few more. Dare I say it Walter smith also.

Not that I want to deflect the from the main topic but you may want to revise that last sentence. What exactly do you base that on? dominating the Scottish League in the 90's when Celtic were close to going out of existence while consistently failing in Europe? This despite spending big money on marquee names?

Kudos to him getting to UEFA Cup Final in 08 and winning the 2IAR & 3IAR in 2010 & 11 while Rangers were under the control of Lloyds TSB but a legendary manager? Each club has their own legendary manager, but Smith for his achievements does not transcend across different clubs for me.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 8:15pm
He won 10 leagues in 12 years there, that's close to complete domination.
He just popped into my head givin it 5 seconds thought. It wasn't a very definite list, just a few off the top of my head.
If the thread were to go in that direction lads could viably argue till the seasons end and who could be included.
What brought him into my mind was that he did a great job there twice and brought players of the calibre of gazza and laudrup to Scotland.
I'm not goin to staunchly defend him if people disagree just them few reasons made his name pop into my head. Suppose Everton didn't work out for him if I was to be critical.
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 8:29pm
Did anyone read any of Fergies last two autobiographies, and if so were they any good.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 8:31pm
I read 1 years ago but don't remember any of it.
Read loads of football autobiographies and that doesn't stand out. I have always preferred reading ones at the end of a managers/players career though, rather than halfway through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic