Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FC Bayern Munich

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 31323334>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

He's no Denis Irwin.

True I stand corrected.
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 2:38pm
I rate him for his versatility more for example he was equally adept at left or right back.

Even when Guardiola moved him to be a defensive midfielder he fitted in like he'd played there his whole career
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I rate him for his versatility more for example he was equally adept at left or right back.

Even when Guardiola moved him to be a defensive midfielder he fitted in like he'd played there his whole career
No doubting he was world class, I just don't think he is the greatest of all time, even in Germany.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

No doubting he was world class, I just don't think he is the greatest of all time, even in Germany.

He's no Manny Kaltz !!!!
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He'd be the best that I can remember, I know they had some great ones back in the day alright, the likes of Breitner

Edited by HuntysCousin - 08 Feb 2017 at 9:51pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:10pm
Lahm was certainly world class and to be able to be just as effective in two completely different positions RB & DM almost effortlessly was fantastic to watch. I remember him playing in the WC in 2006 against Costa Rica (I think without googling it)  and he seemed to just burst onto the scene in that game. 

If you compared him to our own Denis Irwin who I think was also world class imo (without the green specs having influence), Lahm would beat him on being able to also slot into defensive midfield but Irwin would be more of a threat on set pieces & a designated penalty kick taker. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:14pm
Manny Kaltz, Philipp Lahm, Andy Brehme, Paul Breitner, Hans-Peter Breigel - Top Five German fullbacks I can remember.

Edited by Mulvanystrasse - 09 Feb 2017 at 2:58am
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 2:21am
Phillipp Lahm, what a servant he has been to FC Bayern Munich. I've watched him play from a boy, from the Olympiastadion in Munchen to the Allianz and across Europe. It's going to be strange not seeing him wear the red jersey of FC Bayern. 

An all round, once in a generation footballer he stuck with his boyhood club his entire career. Arguably one of the greatest to ever play in his position, for me he is the best. He could just about play anywhere, i'm sure he could of done a role upfront with Luca Toni or Lewandowski if called upon. He'll stay on within the club at some stage, I never got the opportunity to meet him but apparently he is a gentleman.

We lose Lahm and Xabi Alonso this season, they are two huge loses on the pitch and in the dressing room. Busy summer for Carlo. 

Thank you Phillipp Clap 

Edited by SByrne24 - 09 Feb 2017 at 2:22am
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 7:30am
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Phillipp Lahm, what a servant he has been to FC Bayern Munich. I've watched him play from a boy, from the Olympiastadion in Munchen to the Allianz and across Europe. It's going to be strange not seeing him wear the red jersey of FC Bayern. 

An all round, once in a generation footballer he stuck with his boyhood club his entire career. Arguably one of the greatest to ever play in his position, for me he is the best. He could just about play anywhere, i'm sure he could of done a role upfront with Luca Toni or Lewandowski if called upon. He'll stay on within the club at some stage, I never got the opportunity to meet him but apparently he is a gentleman.

We lose Lahm and Xabi Alonso this season, they are two huge loses on the pitch and in the dressing room. Busy summer for Carlo. 

Thank you Phillipp Clap 

Doubt it.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 8:47am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Thank you Phillipp Clap 

Doubt it.

Plus he did play for Stuttgart for two season albeit on loan
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:02am

Thank you Phillipp Clap 

Not wanting to step our your youthful recollections too much but pretty sure he played for Bayern's first team in 2005 when they were already playing in the Allianz
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:03am

Caught out again
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:49am
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Thank you Phillipp Clap 

Not wanting to step our your youthful recollections too much but pretty sure he played for Bayern's first team in 2005 when they were already playing in the Allianz

He actually played for Bayern in Champions League in 2002 as a 92nd minute substitute in Olympiastadion against Lens he went on loan to Stuttgart then in January
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 11:44am

Thank you Phillipp Clap 

Doubt it.

I don't doubt it. He was as technically gifted a footballer as there has ever been, he could play anywhere left back or midfield as we seen under Pep.

And Thank you, not forgetting he signed for FC Bayern when he was 11. 

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 12:37pm

Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Thank you Phillipp Clap 

He actually played for Bayern in Champions League in 2002 as a 92nd minute substitute in Olympiastadion against Lens he went on loan to Stuttgart then in January

I bow to your superior knowledge / recollection
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 1:02pm
tbh I only knew it because I read it yesterday somewhere LOL
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 1:27pm
Then I (only) bow to your recollection. Big smile

I only knew he played in 2005 from the news about his announcement. As that was the season before the WC I knew both Bayern and 1860 started to play in the Allianz.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 2:18pm

Thank you Phillipp Clap 

Doubt it.

He could play up front, he'd just be as blunt as an elephants mickey tho!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 31323334>
  Share Topic