You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Ireland goal (Help Wanted)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Etcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Ireland goal (Help Wanted)
    Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 12:49pm
Hey lads, I'm more of a lurker on the forums than poster, but maybe some of you will know me! So, my name's Barry Masterson, I'm an illustrator, grew up in Longford, so I'm a League of Ireland head as well.

I make a lot of work involving Irish football, but sport in general too, and always have a couple of personal projects on the go. For the last while I've been illustrating football stadiums, and some memorable moments from Irish football, I'll share a few at the end of the post, to give you an idea of what I make, and of some of my own favourites. I'm only 27, so missed all of the late 80's early 90's craic sadly, although I was born on the day of the Romania Italia 90 match LOL

So, what I'm looking for really, is if some of you could take the time to share some of your favourite moments/goals/days in football, doesn't have to be solely related to the national team, but it's not a bad start! What I'm making is still only a work in progress really, but I want to keep making stuff and see where it leads me, I think I have links in my signature, but if you'd like to have a flick through more of the stuff I've made, I have a website.

Fwiw, the greatest moment of my football supporting life to date is the Longford v Waterford United FAI Cup final. Kirby scoring against his old club, with two balls on the pitch, Keegan getting the winner after having a sh*t year, 2 Injury time goals to win any final is hard to top, it was laced with narrative and I was young enough to assume that sort of success would never end Ouch
Sponsored Links

Etcher View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Etcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 12:52pm
Here's just a few of the illustrations I was talking about, in case the links are a hassle:)

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 12:53pm

Very sheer un-expectedness, from despair to absolute mayhem it has to be...

Robbie's goal against Germany in WC02.

Followed in second place by Trigger v Holland in 2001.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Etcher Etcher wrote:

ClapClapClap
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 1:02pm
Love the Pat Sullivan one alright. Clap

Good man Barry, nice work. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

probably similar for me. Triggers shades it for me as I was there
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

I'm a fan of your work Barry, I bought a couple of your drawings a year ago.

If you can draw the Keane Germany goal, I'll happily buy 2 or 3 copies.

That's my favourite Ireland goal I've ever witnessed in person.

El Puto Amo
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 1:51pm
It has to be Robbie Brady against Italy as I was in the stadium. The sheer magnitude of the goal and what it did for the country was massive.

A very emotional day that I almost missed due to a badly delayed Ryanair flight!
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 2:11pm
It has to be Houghtan v the tans 1988

Edited by drog addict - 08 Dec 2017 at 2:11pm
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 2:21pm
Other than what was mentioned already - Shane Long v Germany
The only way is up
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 2:23pm
1)  Ray Houghton in Stuttgart
2) David O'Leary
3) Ray Houghton in New Jersey
4) Robbie Keane in Ibaraki
5) Niall Quinn v Holland in Palermo
6) Robbie Brady in Lille
7) Alan McLoughlin in Belfast
8) Jason McAteer in Dublin v Holland
9) Ronnie Whelan v USSR
10) Jon Walters in Dublin v Bosnia. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

2) David O'Leary
6) Robbie Brady in Lille
9) Ronnie Whelan v USSR
Close the thread as Gary has them all .Thumbs Up Well would put in Long at home to Germany just for the madness in the stands when he scored .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

2) David O'Leary
6) Robbie Brady in Lille
9) Ronnie Whelan v USSR
Close the thread as Gary has them all .Thumbs Up Well would put in Long at home to Germany just for the madness in the stands when he scored .

good list claret... actually I think mcateer was a decent goal and Robbie brady was too... 1/2/3/5 weren't great finishes....a few of the others burst the net....
Come on Irelind
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Etcher Etcher wrote:

Hey lads, I'm more of a lurker on the forums than poster, but maybe some of you will know me! So, my name's Barry Masterson, I'm an illustrator, grew up in Longford, so I'm a League of Ireland head as well.

I make a lot of work involving Irish football, but sport in general too, and always have a couple of personal projects on the go. For the last while I've been illustrating football stadiums, and some memorable moments from Irish football, I'll share a few at the end of the post, to give you an idea of what I make, and of some of my own favourites. I'm only 27, so missed all of the late 80's early 90's craic sadly, although I was born on the day of the Romania Italia 90 match LOL

So, what I'm looking for really, is if some of you could take the time to share some of your favourite moments/goals/days in football, doesn't have to be solely related to the national team, but it's not a bad start! What I'm making is still only a work in progress really, but I want to keep making stuff and see where it leads me, I think I have links in my signature, but if you'd like to have a flick through more of the stuff I've made, I have a website.

Fwiw, the greatest moment of my football supporting life to date is the Longford v Waterford United FAI Cup final. Kirby scoring against his old club, with two balls on the pitch, Keegan getting the winner after having a sh*t year, 2 Injury time goals to win any final is hard to top, it was laced with narrative and I was young enough to assume that sort of success would never end Ouch

MATE 

IT HAS TO BE THAT  amazing and flaming solo run by  TONY GALVIN who dribbled past 3 english players to set the goal vs England at the EURO  that was the goal that i celebrated the most.  Because of the beauty of that goal.... ALDO heads it down to the penalty spot and then HOUGHTON put it past Shilton..
tHEN  ROBBIE KEANE GOAL VS GERMANY AT THE WC  WITH QUINN ASISSTANCE
AND THEN  THAT RONNIE WHELAN SCISSOR KICK
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:54pm
Most technical goal for me has to be Quinn in 1990. Packie with a long pinpoint accurate pass filled with backspin that he kew Van Breukelin (or however he spells it) woildn't be able to hold due to its viscious spin. Then Quinn aqua planes along the turf to execute the perfect finish.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 4:34pm
1)Kearney for Cork City vs Derry, league decider '05
2) Sheedy vs England, '90
3)McLoughlin vs the knee breaker's social club, '93
4) Dowtcha vs Bayern '91
5) Keane vs Germany 02
6) Houghton vs England '88
7) Houghton vs Italy '94 (or,preferably if for an illustration, McGrath's tackle sequence on Baggio)
8) George O'Callaghan vs Shels, '06. A free-kick before and after trash talking them in the media. Walking the walk as well as talking the talk
9) Brady in Lille
10) Dan Murray in Cyprus '06

Edited by pre Madonna - 08 Dec 2017 at 4:36pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Most technical goal for me has to be Quinn in 1990. Packie with a long pinpoint accurate pass filled with backspin that he kew Van Breukelin (or however he spells it) woildn't be able to hold due to its viscious spin. Then Quinn aqua planes along the turf to execute the perfect finish.

Quinn is technically one of the best players we have produced, the epitome of the cliche, but he really had a lovely touch, for a big lad.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Quinn is technically one of the best players we have produced, the epitome of the cliche, but he really had a lovely touch, for a big lad.

Quinner aged very well IMO. His touch became increasingly deft as his mobility decreased. 

The best of his Ireland goals. Around the 1;40 mark

El Puto Amo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic