You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FAO Cyclists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 2:06pm

It's a piece of urine SGB. I’ve been doing a similar route for the past couple of years on the rothar. It’s the easiest and quickest way into town. No messing around with traffic, red lights, one way streets. Basically, you will be above the law.

Seriously, it is grand but you have to have your wits about you. Cars turning left without looking for cyclists on the inside is dodgy. Also, I’ve come off my bike crossing the Luas line. Get a gay bike helmet like me and you should be fine even if you do get a little knock.

One last tip. What you wear is extremely important. Getting the wrong cycle shorts can lead to a bad case of swampy jocks. Make sure you get a pair that are good and tight. If you throw up a few pics, I’m happy to advise you if they are the right pair for you.

ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 2:21pm
Ah here leave it out cycling shorts? Id be arrested. But thanks for the advice. 

Do you want to cycle in with me and hold hands the whole way in?

Edited by ShayGivensBum - 28 Aug 2013 at 2:21pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Well I have a cycle buddy who I currently hold hands with. I need my other hand to steer. My flute is free if you wanna hang on to that though?

Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Well I have a cycle buddy who I currently hold hands with. I need my other hand to steer. My flute is free if you wanna hang on to that though?

LOLLOL
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 2:35pm
Deal. Meet you in Terenure Village and you better be in the nip xx
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 2:43pm

Havent cycled in years so what I want to know is if I attempt to cycle from Knocklyon to Stephens green is there a chance I will die and also how long would that generally take someone who hasnt cycled in a while?
This made be laugh..you always have a 100% chance you will die no one lives forever
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 2:43pm
Done
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 2:46pm
Why start with a cycle like that Why not go to the Phoennix park or bushy park or somewhere like that and see how stable you are on the bike.  

Edited by Baldrick - 28 Aug 2013 at 2:46pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Why start with a cycle like that Why not go to the Phoennix park or bushy park or somewhere like that and see how stable you are on the bike.  

Ah im grand at ridin its just on a road that I would need practice Big smile
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 2:58pm

So we've heard
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 2:59pm

Baldy has a point. Cycle down Murder Hill in Bushy a few times at pace. If you're able for that, then you'll have no bother.

Does your office have showers in it? You'll get a sweat up on the way in to work. If you don't have showers, that new Flyefit gym on Baggot St is only €29 a month and is pretty good. I go in there before work and it isn't busy.

Edited by MC Hammered - 28 Aug 2013 at 2:59pm
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 3:09pm
My son cycles from Firhouse to city centre in about a half hour.
It's mostly downhill and with mostly dedicated cycle lanes up to Terenure, it's handy enough. After that it gets a bit trickier.
He got a bike with an electric assist to counteract the hills coming home and he does that in much the same time.
Get a helmet and wear a flourescent green/yellow top and make sure you've got working front and back lights, as dark evenings will be back soon.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

It's mostly downhill and with mostly dedicated cycle lanes up to Terenure, it's handy enough. After that it gets a bit trickier.
He got a bike with an electric assist to counteract the hills coming home and he does that in much the same time.
Get a helmet and wear a flourescent green/yellow top and make sure you've got working front and back lights, as dark evenings will be back soon.

Does your son have a disability.   If not he is a lazy sh*te.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 3:14pm
I don't cycle in that much since I am in Portmarnock, as the time it takes is not worth it for the amount of calories I burn, but I cycled to work for years and never a problem.  

The trick is not to be too timid.  Command the road when you need to, especially coming up to a right turn when you are going straight otherwise you can get cut off by cars or trucks or buses.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 3:22pm

Not really.  Double the time to get home otherwise.
I've used his bike a few times. There's a lot of long, straight uphill roads from Rathmines on and tbh, it's a complete no brainer to use the assist.
We're not talking about real cycling here, just a method of getting into the city without spending over an hour on the bus or prohibitive parking costs.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 3:51pm

Not really.  Double the time to get home otherwise.
I've used his bike a few times. There's a lot of long, straight uphill roads from Rathmines on and tbh, it's a complete no brainer to use the assist.
We're not talking about real cycling here, just a method of getting into the city without spending over an hour on the bus or prohibitive parking costs.

Does he the come home and drive to the gym LOL
AKA pedantic kunt
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 10:24pm
hardest part will be conditioning your arse to cycling if ye havent done it in a while, takes about 2 weeks of arse pains.

the cycle into town is grand, do it myself, 35 in, 35 home, be careful of women drivers, women cyclists and women pedestrians and you will be fine Thumbs Up
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 10:32pm
Just get the 49
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic