Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FA Cup 19/20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Last trains out of London midweek leave at 10pm.

Which means Saints fans will have to miss 30+ mins and possibly penalties if its a draw in the first 90 minutes.
Nobodys gonna go and try to make the 10pm train home. They'll get a supporters bus, like they do for every other evening kickoff any football fan ever has. Airtricity League fans have managed it for years

Because getting a bus instead of a train which adds about 5 hours to your journey if you live up north from the Midlands and further up thus missing your next day's work isn't an inconvenience? 

Most people do actually rush for the last train for that reason. Not because they're scared of being up til 3am or something.

And for what reason? To appeal to the couch supporters and TV broadcasters.

If you're gonna keep replays on a midweek atleast put them at a reasonable time for people to actually get home
Talking to a couple of lads at work today who are season ticket holders at different clubs, both said that all of their match day groups wanted the whole competition midweek. They think it might make it more enjoyable and at least the fixtures would be played at a consistent time.

I know you love your exaggerations, but I feel I must again pull you up here. There is no possible way any minibus journey from the Midlands is going to add anything close to five hours to a journey north. Depending on the journey, a minibus will often be quicker. A quick search on Google maps tells me that to drive from Northampton to Newcastle should take 3 hours 38 minutes. It suggests that it would take 5 hours 34 on a train. No matter what sort of mental gymnastics you do, it isn't going to take five hours more.

Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Which means Saints fans will have to miss 30+ mins and possibly penalties if its a draw in the first 90 minutes.
Nobodys gonna go and try to make the 10pm train home. They'll get a supporters bus, like they do for every other evening kickoff any football fan ever has. Airtricity League fans have managed it for years

Because getting a bus instead of a train which adds about 5 hours to your journey if you live up north from the Midlands and further up thus missing your next day's work isn't an inconvenience? 

Most people do actually rush for the last train for that reason. Not because they're scared of being up til 3am or something.

If you're gonna keep replays on a midweek atleast put them at a reasonable time for people to actually get home
Talking to a couple of lads at work today who are season ticket holders at different clubs, both said that all of their match day groups wanted the whole competition midweek. They think it might make it more enjoyable and at least the fixtures would be played at a consistent time.

I know you love your exaggerations, but I feel I must again pull you up here. There is no possible way any minibus journey from the Midlands is going to add anything close to five hours to a journey north. Depending on the journey, a minibus will often be quicker. A quick search on Google maps tells me that to drive from Northampton to Newcastle should take 3 hours 38 minutes. It suggests that it would take 5 hours 34 on a train. No matter what sort of mental gymnastics you do, it isn't going to take five hours more.

I can say that my seat at Anfield for the replay against Shrewsbury will be empty - can't get there and back midweek.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:18pm

I never exaggerate I have no idea what you're talking about LOL
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I can say that my seat at Anfield for the replay against Shrewsbury will be empty - can't get there and back midweek.
Can they not postpone it until you are free?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:38pm

I can go any weekend - I'm not asking for much!

I remember the last time they played an FA cup round midweek: By the time I got into the game at St Andrews, Liverpool were already 2-0 up! 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 8:09pm

If games ending at 10pm is too much for you, spare a thought for our fans when we're regularly playing away from home past 11pm. Almost every away venue is at least 1 hour ahead of Dublin.

When you go to games, you do so fully aware of the ko time and make adequate travel arrangements in advance. Either that or you stay at home, and then you don't have to worry about your work/travel plans being disrupted. 
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 10:17pm
Fourth place v FA cup winner for a champions League spot would make teams take it serious.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

If games ending at 10pm is too much for you, spare a thought for our fans when we're regularly playing away from home past 11pm. Almost every away venue is at least 1 hour ahead of Dublin.

When you go to games, you do so fully aware of the ko time and make adequate travel arrangements in advance. Either that or you stay at home, and then you don't have to worry about your work/travel plans being disrupted. 

Says the man who's in favour of VAR which drags game on even further.

You're not normal are ya.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 10:52pm

[QUOTE=coyne]Last trains out of London midweek leave at 10pm.

I remember the last time they played an FA cup round midweek: By the time I got into the game at St Andrews, Liverpool were 

Edited by oldbilly - 27 Jan 2020 at 10:57pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

I remember the last time they played an FA cup round midweek: By the time I got into the game at St Andrews, Liverpool were already 2-0 up! 

Hang on, you follow Liverpool, presumably with a season ticket as you say “your” seat will be empty but can’t make a field for a midweek?? Where do you live ffs, if it took till into the second half at Birmingham you’re nowhere near Liverpool and nowhere near the midlands?? If you’re not in England why f**king bother

I live in the south of England so it's about a 7 hour round trip to Liverpool. So I've no real complaints about the scheduling of home Liverpool games - I was only jesting with my reaction above to the Shrewsbury game. My real annoyance is with scheduling full rounds of the cup for midweek and to a lesser extent having FA Cup replays. They really do show a lack of consideration for fans and if you throw in the times of games now scheduled at weekends for TV, this just adds to it. 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 11:52pm

Says the man who's in favour of VAR which drags game on even further.

You're not normal are ya.

Making adequate travel plans to get home from away games without affecting the game itself, is what normal people do. 

Refusing to make such plans, then having to leave games early in one of the most developed cities on earth, just to get a train, is not normal. 

VAR is essential in football, so it is now routine at the highest level of the game. 
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 6:31am
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Fourth place v FA cup winner for a champions League spot would make teams take it serious.

I’m sure the bean counters would love some kind of play off for the last champions league spot -

4th / 5th / 6th and FA cup winners go into play-off for that last spot - all matches at Wembley! 
But it would prolong the season even further and wouldn’t work if one of those teams were in the champions league final which is a week after FA cup and then they could qualify automatically.

It would be good if the could put some kind of incentive on it.
Maybe you can’t get relegated if you win the FA cup. It would mean the bottom epl clubs would take it serious. 

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 28 Jan 2020 at 6:32am

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 8:29am
UEFA would be sh*tting themselves that a schmuck team would qualify.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:47am
The big teams don’t care but it looks like the 1/4 finals should have 5 of the big six and Leicester/Sheffield Utd.

No easy games in the 1/4 finals. 

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

That's actually a pretty good suggestion. I'd imagine most clubs would support that. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:30am
The last few winners have been City, Chelsea, United, Arsenal, most of whom i'd guess finished in the top 4 anyway in those seasons?

Last year for example would the FA Cup runners up Watford get a play off against Spurs to see who got the 4th CL spot?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:35am
There might be UEFA rules that would prevent an CL place being given to the Cup Winners.

They do it in Asia though and it seems to work well. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 7:50pm
I think we will see Man City v Man U final ....

City 2 - 1 Arsenal 

Man U 1-0 Chelsea 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic