You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ever selected for Jury Service?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 11:37am
Got called up myself last week and wrote a letter with an excuse being too busy at work. No reply yet.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 11:39am
Say that you're racist and it will prejudice the fairness of the trial, like Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Got called up myself last week and wrote a letter with an excuse being too busy at work. No reply yet.
I did that before and was excused
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Called up in Monday but have a serious dose of manflu, not sure I am up for it at the moment.

Is it possible to get excused? will I have to go in and present myself even I am sick.

Yes, you just need a GP cert. I got out of it for medication I was on at the time that made me drowsy.

Tricky one though since its first thing Monday. I'd say just call them and explain, I doubt they'd want anyone with a flu, especially with Covid still going around turning up and passing it onto others.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 4:59pm

Called up in Monday but have a serious dose of manflu, not sure I am up for it at the moment.

Is it possible to get excused? will I have to go in and present myself even I am sick.

You would have to ring but I'm sure 'I have covid symptoms ' is a good enough excuse not to make yourself present.

Said it before and say it again, I like jury duty. Find the whole experience interesting especially last time when I sar on for a week long trial.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 8:52am
Pay 70e for a medical cert for a cold!

I'll just head in, not too bad today.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 10:30am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

You would have to ring but I'm sure 'I have covid symptoms ' is a good enough excuse not to make yourself present.

Said it before and say it again, I like jury duty. Find the whole experience interesting especially last time when I sar on for a week long trial.

I've only been selected once for jury duty and that was for a sexual assault case. I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone. I can't imagine what sitting through a murder case is like.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 4:13pm
Judge has COVID so all the people selected were told not to come in, but they never told us not to come in.

Popped into the criminal court for about an hour to watch a load of no marks being up for all sorts.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 8:53am

My excuse wasnt granted and i've to turn up today with more supporting evidence to be excused. Theyre playing hard ball now according to the lad on the phone in the jury office. "the wheels of criminal justice stopped for covid and we have to catch up" 

What is the protocol these days?

Edited by McG - 27 Apr 2022 at 8:54am
AS YOU WERE McGx

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 9:20am

My excuse wasnt granted and i've to turn up today with more supporting evidence to be excused. Theyre playing hard ball now according to the lad on the phone in the jury office. "the wheels of criminal justice stopped for covid and we have to catch up" 

Sounds like a c*nt LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 11:42am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Sounds like a c*nt LOL

One of the lads at work was called up yesterday and he said ALL 57 who attended were told they were not needed here in Galway , makes you wonder sometimes . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 11:51am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Sounds like a c*nt LOL

Sounds like he's been watching The Wire too much.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 11:51am
Myself and the missus both got notices in the past week, due to start within a week of each other but we're away for those 2 weeks. I sent back flight details but i assume I'll be on a shortlist to get called at some point over the summer.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 12:05pm
Was on my way in and got a text excusing me ffs LOL

The wheels of criminal justice 
AS YOU WERE McGx

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 12:37pm

Was on my way in and got a text excusing me ffs LOL

The wheels of criminal justice 

LOL
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 1:09pm
I sat on a jury on a rape trial years ago. It was interesting though bring a book with you as there are llikely to be lengthy interludes during the court proceedings. Defendant was clearly guilty and got twelve years but the case was so harrowing that the jury was excused any further calls to service. Just because you are called doesn't mean you'll serve, by the way. Jury was picked by random lottery of numbers allocated to those called, so vast majority were out of it that way. On top of that, legal teams for both sides can and do object to people selected for whatever reason so that whittles it down again, and subs have to come off the bench.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 1:37pm
Got called up over here in the UK last month. First day in court is Tuesday coming.

A good number of my colleagues have been called so we presume they target public or semi sector workers knowing employers are flexible. If this goes on into June I could miss out home game against Ukraine Thumbs Down

Edited by colemanY2K - 27 Apr 2022 at 1:38pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 2:18pm
Done by post code here I think? Hear of a few getting called up at a time.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic